View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
THEN, when you realize her smelling it then (when she wrote the song) perhaps the smell of it then took her back to 9/11 when she had to use it to cover the smell of burnt people and carnage, it is just chilling to me. Sort of the opposite of when you hear a song you haven't heard since a big event it is associated with for you (like a prom) and you hearing it again after a long time suddenly and without hesitation reminds you in that flas of a moment all of the things surrounding that event and you smile. THAT is why I think she is just so great.
See, this is my problem with the song. And I don't dislike it. I think musically it's quite interesting, though I wish Lindsey had used a different tone on the recurring acoustic riff. It's a little harsh, when it should have been warmer. I like the bongos, and think they are appropriate. What I have trouble with is the words. I lived through this experience and the song does not speak to me at all. I said before that it comes acros as rather self-indulgent: "I was so scared. Wasn't it terrible?" Anyone in the island of Manhattan who didn't feel fear that day wasn't awake. So why tell us that? I wanted more substance. I remember reading a story about Stevie going to the street and serving firefighters coffee or something. She probably could have written an epic just from taking a quick look at a firefighter's face that day.

Mind you, as critical as I am of this song, I will confess this is a terribly tough subject. I've tried to write a song about that day and have never been able to. So I give Stevie credit for tackling the subject. I just think she took the wrong approach. For me. But obviously the song strikes a chord some of you, so that's cool.