View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Some of my opinion of the audio of OMS may be based on desk speakers I am listening through. I'll have to try it in my car or home stereo to see if the sound quality changes.

I was actually going to suggest that

I don't expect it to make you do a 180 on your opinion but, after reading your review, I actually went and listened to the whole thing again too, and I just don't hear what you're hearing. It's a no-frills recording so as they say, it is what it is as far as production goes. I don't care for the way the crowd sounds ( like they're in another room), but I don't hear a whole lot to take issue with in his performance. Especially with regards to BTLH being a hot mess
It's seems to me like it's a pretty tough song to sing (and play) live, so I'm always just impressed when he gets through it. But, in this case, I think it's darn near perfect. Not because I love the song, or don't see any fault with Lindsey. I just think compared to other bootleg audios and videos where he does it, this one stands out to me as being really very good. It's in tune, his singing is good, the playing is great. In fact, the only song that stood out to me as having a tuning problem was Stephanie! I heard him play it plenty of times, and there are definitely a couple of off strums on this recording It actually struck me the first time I heard it when I was flying home the day after the Washburn show. I had to play it back because it was so odd sounding to me. Like I said, the Fort Worth is the best version of Stephanie. But BTLH I've never heard better, solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
  • The whoops & hollers from the audience bug me. (And rarely does that bother me in live recordings but it does here.) At one point the track cuts off the hollering abruptly which was jarring. Poor editing on someone's part. Needed to fade out/into next track better.
  • Missed the "Southern" speech/BN reference. I know this wasn't recorded in the South, but maybe it should have been.
  • Overall, I miss production or better editing/mixing and it showcases more "flubs" than I want to admit Lindsey has in his playing. It's a little sloppy.
Just a few things I have to mention that I respectfully disagree with you on here.

1) I completelt disagree with you about the flubs. There just ARENT any outright flubs. A missed note or two sure but that's one of the things I love about the completely solo shows! He puts himself out there, just him so every little thing is there crystal clear. Who else does that?? He's not afraid to bare it all ya know? All alone, every note he plays and sings is on full display and damn. It's impressive. And if he misses the occasional note, I find it kind of endearing. He's human, and I like that it shows sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, since you like Soundstage (as I do as well), does his "flub" at the end of NGBA bother you also He did more than one take on some of those songs, so he could have re-done that one...or edited it later. But he didn't. He let it ride, and I'm glad he did, for the same reasons as with BTLH. I don't need - or want - a live recording to be perfect. But that's me.

2) I always find it odd when people complain about audience noise on a live recording ( and I don't mean just you, CAD. I hear it now and then). To me that's part of the charm of a live recording. Feeling like you're actually there!

3) Be honest, you have to admit, finding fault in him not talking about the south in a show in Iowa isn't really very fair. That would be like me not liking Live in Boston because he thanks the Boston audience rather than the Seattle audience