View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

To me, these "40" songs are along the same line as CAD and It Was You and Show You How (though not nearly as good as that last one), all of which I find quite whimsical and domestically themed. I see the new tunes as an extension of UTS in fact.
Michele
Interesting. To me UTS is pretty singular, standing out for its minimalist instrumentation and absence of electric guitars. It's not quite as cohesive as Cradle or SWS but it's a damn good album.

I compare the songs from the soundtrack to the early 80s period, when Lindsey was painstakingly crafting pop songs like Trouble. Well, he did that with Cradle too, but lyrically Cradle is deeper than the "40" songs, which I think are meant to be lighter despite the wry tone. Lyrically, it's almost like Lindsey has gone back to just finding rhymes, throwing words together and using the words in a way that is less about message and more about putting the finishing touches on the canvas. Having said that, I like all three songs. I like pop Lindsey. When he gets into that mode, he may be lighter thematically but he can craft some seriously catchy tunes.