View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I am so moved by much of UTS, GOS and even parts of SWS
It's funny that we can see exactly what the other person doesn't see in a song. It's like our ears are detecting the exact opposite things.

I fail to see (hear) wit and air in the "40" tracks (maybe She Acts Like You, just a bit), especially when I place these songs against the drive of GOS, in particular too. SWS too (though I don't like the formal version of the title song there. I like the electric version a lot more).

To me, these "40" songs are along the same line as CAD and It Was You and Show You How (though not nearly as good as that last one), all of which I find quite whimsical and domestically themed. I see the new tunes as an extension of UTS in fact. Now, if all his album songs sounded like Treason, I'd be right there along with you. But to me Love Runs Deeper, Great Day, Gift of Screws, Wait for You, One Take not only zoom but are suggestive, wry and wily.

For the most part, the greater part, I find that GOS and SWS tracks rock and soar. And even when those songs get serious or reflective, it's done with such delicate intricacy (Bel Air Rain) that I'm drawn in without finding anything dour or pretentious about it.

I find the "40" songs are less complex. Perhaps more palatable for some, but less intriguing to me.

Michele