View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

I just returned from the concert, and I must say, that man never fails to impress me. He always pours everything he has into every single song he plays. With that said, there were no surprises by Lindsey. The set list and patter were the same. The audience reaction did surprise me at times. In the beginning, before Lindsey played anything, he shook his right hand out (like he always does before playing Big Love), and over half of the audience burst out laughing, so
Lindsey cracked a smile, made a face and started hamming it up a bit before starting to play CAD. Later, in NTL, when he sang the line, "you know you should never believe what you read." a good number of audience members laughed out loud again. Lindsey just smiled. I think he was happy that everyone was listening so intently. If he hadn't yet figured out, by this point of the concert, that these fans didn't seem too familiar with his solo work (recorded or in concert), he had to have realized it when a sudden eruption of applause and cheering began after he sang, "two kinds of trouble in this world...".

If unfamiliar with his work, the audience was appreciative, and Lindsey was having a good time. After Come, Lindsey finally broke a sweat, no pun intended, and a fan ran up to the stage with a napkin for him to wipe his face with. He did so, then put it back on an amp. Later in the concert, after Lindsey threw his sweaty towel to the crowd,the lady who had given him the napkin earlier, asked for it back. Lindsey proceded to wipe his brow, then his chest, then under each of his arms and returned it to her, shaking his head in disbelief that someone would want that.

Lindsey saved his best move for last. After So Afraid, the crowd gave him a standing ovation, and a few of us, only 4 or 5, in the front row made our move to the stage only to be met by an elderly security guard trying to send us back. We didn't move, and Lindsey soon came to our rescue. He walked right up to the edge of the stage, tapped the guy on the head, and pointed for him to sit back down on his chair in the corner. Stan? His guitar tech, stepped off to the side with the guard to explain, then Lindsey's biggest fan, who was still sitting in the front row at this point, turned around and motioned for everyone to come down to the front, and they did. Lindsey stood in front of us for most of GYOW, and let us play his guitar! He came back out to
play Trouble, finish his big machine, small machine talk, and play SWS. All in all, a perfect, passionate performance.