View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
one can, sure! but when i listen to FM songs i find myself skipping over most of SN or CM songs.
Well, that's you, elle, but that's not me. The foundation of my fanaticism for this band is the orchestration of the tracks, and Lindsey happens to be the individual most responsible for those decisions (in several cases, he's also the individual most responsible for the execution of the orchestrative ideas). By orchestration, I mean the common definition: the "layout" of the sounds on a song or an album. That includes decisions about parts (the notes and chords played, which is also called arrangement), instrumentation (the combination of instruments used to generate the intended color), the vocal score, and the mix (applying dynamics and effects to what's on tape in order to create a specific atmosphere).

All this stuff is just as important to the Nicks and McVie tracks as it is to the Buckingham tracks--hence many people's interest in it. In fact, Lindsey himself has said--and I think I agree--that his best work of this sort has been on their songs, not necessarily his own.

Quote:
the only studio FM albums i own are Tusk and SYW. other than hits, i barely know other Mirage and TITN songs and when there was a poll comparing 2 albums i had to go on youtube to listen to songs so i can make more-less informed decision. in contrast, i own every studio and live album, DVD and blu-ray LB ever put out solo. so - make your own conclusions
I'd conclude that you don't have much interest in Buckingham as an arranger, orchestrator, vocal harmonizer, or guitarist, because all this stuff plays such a major role in Mac albums from 1977 to now. But of course I don't know for certain what turns you on about Lindsey.

moviekinks.blogspot.com