View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I wish I could say that today's ruling was some kind of major milestone... but it was actually rather narrow in scope. All it really established was that the California ballot initiative (Prop 8) itself was unconstitutional, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't make any kind of broad motion regarding equal protection under the California state constitution and its applicability towards the rights of GLBT. Really, all it may accomplish is potentially amending the California state constitution so that these kinds of intiatives, which really serve no purpose but to denigrate and dehumanize minorities, are never eligible for a ballot vote ever again. It may get appealed up to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the larger issue of GLBT marriage equality will not really be part of it.
I'm hearing from the legal pundits that this will force the state to grant gay marriages again, and that previously voided marriages must be recognized again.

Not saying it's fact, but it's all over the national media.

Looking at similar issues elsewhere, it seems that when the courts rule that the State can't deny something, that the State must then grant it.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case