Thread: Yust Vondering
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Why 2?":

Simple really. Billy Burnette had been playing in Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, so Mick asked him to join right after Lindsey announced his departure; since he was already familiar with many of Fleetwood Mac's tunes (the Zoo played quite a number of them); plus, Billy had worked with both Christine & Stevie on their solo projects. AND, since Billy didn't feel his own guitar style would be "enough" for Fleetwood Mac, he asked if he could bring along his pal Rick Vito, who he'd been working with on a solo project, as "the world class lead guitarist" that Fleetwood Mac required. Rick had previously worked with John McVie in John Mayall's late 70's incarnation of the Bluesbreakers, so there already was some "FMac history" there for Rick. Everybody was "on board", so there you have it. Billy's guitar playing was basically just a bonus, since the main reason he was joining was for his VOCAL ability. It's my thought that had it been the other way around and if Rick Vito would've been asked first, Billy probably (and unfortunately) never would've been in Fleetwood Mac, since Rick is a top-notch singer as well (although his best contributions to Behind The Mask were left in the can...I suspect a conspiracy & cover-up, but that's just me)

Plus, Lindsey, though the only MEMBER guitarist during his first tenure, still had Ray Lindsey play "second guitar" on a number of tunes during their live set. Also, telling is that as soon as Lindsey embarked on a solo tour, he had (including himself) FIVE guitarists on stage...and then two additional with Fleetwood Mac ever since.

I think it is also telling as to during the 1974 tour, they added a "second KEYBOARDIST" (Doug Graves initially, then Bob's old "Head West" bandmate Bobby Hunt) which left Bob Welch as the lone guitarist for the tour, the first time in Fleetwood Mac history. (not counting Danny Kirwan's last night with the band in 1972)