View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Thanks for writing this.
When I typed the post, I considered writing that this is an opportunity to point out the good things that the band HAS done. I decided that this message is implied, but apparently I was wrong.

I never said that FM members are saints or anything more than musicians.
I never wrote in this thread that they owe anybody anything.
I wrote that there has been much criticism of the band for not giving more to the fans. Whether they owe or not, I merely ask what they have given.
Many posters have pointed out that Tom Petty, for example, has shown greater appreciation to his fans. Yet nobody is saying he's a saint. And if he is only a musician who owes nothing more to his fans, let's commend him for that. If FM members have done good, let's point it out, and let's commend them, too.
I see nothing "crazy" about asking posters what good things they (or fans they know of) have received.

And Johnny Stew, I happen to agree that the meaningful music has been the greatest gift. Call me corny, too.

- Jake
Well, let me say it: Tom Petty is a saint! LOL Honestly, I love the guy to death. Not only does he make fabulous music, but he knows who he is, who he wants to be and he won't compromise any of that for money or feeding the "machine." He is a very admirable man!

As for the Mac, I can't think of anything at the present time. Maybe I'll think of something later.

It isn't that people expect things or feel owed anything, it's that they want to at least be acknowledged for being so dedicated and putting them where they are right now. No one can dispute that without us, they wouldn't be where they are today. They wouldn't be touring, commanding high ticket prices. And because of that, the people that put them in the position they are in now want to be shown gratitude. Maybe do a free show here and there. Don't charge for the fan club. Don't make every move you make into a money-making scheme; just do something once in awhile to show that you're grateful and you know we're out there. Unfortunately, even though the Mac knows that it's the fans who give them money, they also consider us their ball and chain. It's a Catch 22.