View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
whether or not there's a hook is not really subjective.
It may or may not be. One person's hook can be another person's annoying repeated musical phrase.

Quote:
but SWS - what are you listening to?!?!?! TTWLG, IOOT, Illumination, EOT, etc etc - all have at least one if not several hooks going at once (IOOT) and they are completely captivating not just to me but to most people i know who don't know or care much about LB.
I will give it another listen. There are a few songs I have a very difficult time getting through. They are just sonically so dense and messy. I do think IOOT has some catchy hooks in it. But like many of his songs, the hook is surrounded by a big sonic mess that gets in my way. Like I am tripping over furniture in an otherwise comfortable room.

Quote:
on the other hand, somebody in this thread said that IYD CD is full of hooks - i'm surprised about that statement too
IDK if I agree with that statement completely either. It has some nice ones. AL, IYD, YMBTO and to a lesser degree FWIW. But there is meandering. And I feel about GAG like I do about some LB songs - the tone of that guitar is so abrasive and annoying that sometimes I just can't listen to it. In that instance I like her attitude and parts of the melody enough to go with it. Other times it simply hurts my ears.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.