View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I'm not playing the one is better than the other game. At all. The thing with hooky writing is inherent in the work hook. It grabs people. It is infectious. That doesn't always even make a song a hit, but it provides a signature line that a song either hangs on or uses as propulsion. Plenty of songwriters cannot or will not write them. Joni rarely ever did. That's fine. LB songs rarely have one anymore - not one that grabs me anyway. I wish a few of them did.

That being said, I forgot to mention that I like Illumination quite a bit.
agree that it's pretty clear what is or is not a good hook, or hook at all. so i'm surprised to see that you are saying LB's most recent work doesn't have hooks (i assume you did listen to SWS). as you are saying - whether or not there's a hook is not really subjective. after UTS and less GOS (although i didn't think his newer songs on GOS had great hooks either - LRD hook sounds pretty pedestrian to me) i was saying what you are saying NOW, and i thought he either didn't want to or couldn't write good hooks anymore... but SWS - what are you listening to?!?!?! TTWLG, IOOT, Illumination, EOT, etc etc - all have at least one if not several hooks going at once (IOOT) and they are completely captivating not just to me but to most people i know who don't know or care much about LB.

on the other hand, somebody in this thread said that IYD CD is full of hooks - i'm surprised about that statement too - IYD has many long meandering songs that musically don't seem to go very far, imo, and become boring b/c they never end. when there are hooks, like in that new orleans song, they sound like something a child would write (again, just my opinion). i was thinking of grabbing Dave Stewart's CD b/c although there seems to be some similarities to IYD music there i kinda liked some of the songs better than IYD ones, and i like that "magic in the blues" song, but then i heard another one and another one, and they all just blend into one to me... gotta listen to DS BBD again more carefully, but.