View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
. But Jimmy Iovine and John Shanks and Dave Stewart have done as well as LB ever has with her songs
See now, that is your opinion. I am a HUGE music fan and I listen to everything. I understand that some people are crazy about her solo stuff, but to me it's very dull. And much of that (not all) has to do with the production. See, Stevie isn't musically that appealing to me. It's her lyrics/voice that really stand out- and that could be different for others but FOR ME those are her two greatest assets. Her songwriting isn't bad, but then I read the linear notes of her recent album and see she pretty much didn't write the music to a bunch of those songs so I can't really rate her that high.

With Lindsey and FM, Lindsey's sublime/shimmery production complemented Stevie's singing and words. They ebbed and flowed so beautifully that I can't find anything to really criticize of hers- on Tusk especially. Long, meandering songs didn't bore me. Nowadays, while I admit IYD was certainly better than most of her other stuff, I simply can't sit through it because there isn't anything that really sticks out for me aside from a few really great songs. She has some highs on here, sure, and I commend Dave Stewart for definitely shining HIMSELF on the album as well. But I just wouldn't say any of the stuff is as great as "Angel," "Sara," "Storms, " "Gold Dust Woman."

And strangely enough, all of my friends who I have played that album for haven't even liked it. They can't get past her voice, which is too bad for them because it's an interesting and strong voice. But what I am trying to say is that FOR YOU, as a Stevie fan, it may be that those other producers were the same/better than LB but for me, as a general music fan, no one brought out the best of Stevie like LB did in early FM. SYW is obviously a controversy because, honestly, I don't think her songs are all that great on there but a few. So I will accept that many SN fans are upset over that but I just... I feel like he did a pretty damn good job with what he was given. Maybe "Smile At You" was better in it's original form, but whatever...that one is still out there for people, and she can always remake it.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL