View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
...the extended version of Gypsy (found on the Chain boxset) and was reminded of absolutely gorgeous this song is. ...I love the song as a song, but the production of it is just brilliant...definitely the highlight of the Mac's 80s output, and one of the best moments of their entire career...
I must agree. Gypsy was the catalyst that made me a Fleetwood Mac fan since 1982. Let's see how Mick describes it in his book in the episode about Mirage:

Stevie's songs including the utterly majestic "Gypsy" were what she had saved for us after recording her first album, Bella Donna, which was about to sell ten million copies and make Miss Nicks the Queen of Rock. Some leftover! "Gypsy" is one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest works of art; for me it really crystallises that whole period of the early 1980s, when we were in our mid-thirties and beginning to look back on our lost youth.
Mirage was released in mid-1982, an artistic and financial success. Both "Hold Me" and "Gypsy" were hit singles in the United States, and "Oh Diane" was a British chart hit as well. I think we sold about five million albums. It didn't hurt that Rolling Stone had crowned Stevie "The Reigning Queen of Rock and Roll," and that a new cable television channel called MTV was broadcasting our new videos ("Hold Me" set in desert dunes, "Gypsy" in a Stevie fantasy world) to the American suburbs twenty-four hours a day. Mirage went to number one, and it felt great to be back on top for a while.