View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default OOTC VS SWS , I Wish SWS Was Better

Hello

Well, I have been listening to SWS for about a week straight now. Both in my car, at home, and at work. It’s amazing, I was pretty excited for this album. I guess I was happy that he had finally decided to go the Indie route, I think this is way over due for him. So, the Indie route along with the fact that I just had this feeling that the album was going to be really special.

I am not a fan of UTS at all. For some reason, that CD (even though I own it) is a throw away. It just never spoke to me at all, I admire his finger picking style and so on, but UTS just seems like a really selfish type of album. GOS, I actually did like very much, and honestly think , outside of OOTC, is his most accessible album. But, it’s weird, because I know that a lot of people didn’t care much for GOS, but that is ok.

I decided to , before the release of SWS, listen to OOTC with a very good stereo system and headphones, and I had not listened to it in some time. Well, It reminded me, after my listen, as to why this album many years ago got me through some very rough personal times, It’s just a amazing piece of work. I can’t see anything wrong with it, its catchy, produced well, etc, heck it sounds crisp, etc. Lindsey’s voice on OOTC I love, I really dont care much for his whispery voice. I can totally see why people have been saying “enough is enough” on the voice . I just love OOTC

Well, SWS. I do like TTWLG, even though I find it embarrassing to play that track for people because of the chipmunk voice, but It’s a darn good track, I do really adore Gone Too Far. Gone Too Far though seems incomplete. One Take is just too weird for me. End Of Time, I love it, even though I loved the way he sang it at Saban compared to the voice on SWS, I love it. The rest I don’t, When She Comes Down has to be the worst song I have ever heard by LB. I mean, that’s about your wife? Well, reading the lyrics, it’s like, that’s all you have to write about her, lol. I mean, maybe he should listen to Richard Marx when it comes to writing love songs, or songs for your wife, aka Right Here Waiting. So, WSCD is garbage. She Smiled Sweetly, I don’t hate it, but man oh man do I miss the GOS version of it, it sounds as if he ran into the studio and recorded that on one take. Stars Are Crazy, I just don’t like it, and hoping that Saban version is better. The chipmunk voice ruins this album in my opinion.

It’s funny because I am so damn happy that SWS is #45. I sent a note to my co workers going “see, he made it to the top 50” because at this point, it’s pretty astonishing. But, I feel this CD will fade away for me, much like GOS has. Meaning, after a month, I will be listening to OOTC more. I don’t think this is his best work at all, OOTC is far better, and I think this may be like SYW, a album that fades away.

I think the best that has come out of this, is that he is Indie now, it will really help him going forward. FM, that’s another story, lol. I sure hope Mick and Company are ready for a rude awakening, when Irving Azoff goes to promoters, etc. demanding millions and millions in advance, and they will go “umm, no” because based off the SYW numbers, and the tour numbers for Unleashed, I fear they may really need to bring down their expectations

I guess, the point of all this is to say OOTC is a amazing album that I was really wishing would have been topped by SWS, and im a tad sad that it didn’t.

FYI, I also find the production, and sound of the album better on OOTC. SWS doesn’t seem to be as polished

Thoughts?