View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't want to tempt fate and have Elle contradict me, but I'm heartened by the fact that she didn't say anything about Lindsey's voice detracting from the songs in her post. I think that's a problem both she and I had when we heard samples.
yes, unlike shackin'up and Peestie, i am not very enamored by the voice trickery. and maybe if we haven't heard the samples first i might be somewhat disappointed now? but i didn't notice it that much the first few listens, although my overall impression is that throughout most of the album he sounds more like his young voice then his current one - and i do like his current voice better. but must be that i learned to love the studio trickery aspect of it, b/c it doesn't bother me when i hear the whole record together - like Gerald says, it works here. and as i mentioned before, it bothers me even less since i know we'll also get live versions. in some songs, he seems to be singing in his natural voice (at least to my ears) - didn't have a chance to listen to it enough yet - but she smiled sweetly, illumination, one take come to mind - and i'm grateful for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm excited by the admiration from the first listeners and even more hyped for the tour. You know, there are songs like YKINW that the general public doesn't know, but they hear them live and are galvanized by the song's energy anyway. That's how I feel this tour is going to be. The people are going to react to the excitement of the new songs. It's like I never appreciated Doing What I Can until I heard it live and I think at least half of the SWS songs will have that same kind of spark in concert.
yes, exactly what i was thinking - several of these new songs rock so hard that YKINW cannot even compare - we loved them on first hearing ever, before they were floated anywhere on youtube or different sites, before there were any samples, and when they were completely unfamiliar to us, remember? yes, we are hardcore lindsey fans, but still. btw, i do love studio version of illumination better than live, same with IOOT. and one take - everything on it just works together for me, even though i didn't like it that much when i just heard the chorus on the trailer - but the verses, the topic/words, guitar shred, the end - i think it all works together perfectly.

for TTWLG, there are slight differences even in the guitar parts from the live version, and i just think that everything in the live version was perfect, so maybe that's why i don't like the album version as much (but there's the whole pop-ified thing too).