View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It just seemed really logical that he would've been, at some point, offered the lead guitar position in Fleetwood Mac itself. Would like to know the dynamic of why he wasn't.
I see your point, but I'm glad he was not. I've heard a few of Christine's '84 bootlegs, and I really didn't dig his solos on stuff like "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" or " Just Crazy Love." It was just too generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I wasn't a FM fan back then, but I know Dave Mason was/is popular, but was that not enough to get people interested in the "new" Fleetwood Mac?
Maybe, maybe not. I first saw that version open for Crosby, Stills, & Nash, who are all heavily associated with Dave Mason (even their keyboardist, Mike Finnigan, was in the Dave Mason Band back in the '70s), so there may have been some bias. I think it gave the band some additional credibility it may have lacked otherwise. Outside of his solo and Traffic songs and the one new song, the band was basically a cover band (seriously, NO "Behind The Mask" songs???). Actually, I think the time to have added him would have been after Lindsey quit, and just continued as a five piece.

The reason the '87-'97 discussions are so interesting, IMO, is that there was so much untapped potential. The new players were great, but the band played it too safe and tried to not stray too far from the "Rumours" sound, which is completely the opposite of the post-Peter Green/pre-Buckingham Nicks years. The few moments of brilliance were diluted, and the overall effect was generic music that really hasn't stood the test of time.

THE Stephen Hopkins