The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eyes of the World- Mirage video (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=8595)

stevierocks87 02-24-2003 02:27 PM

Eyes of the World- Mirage video

Hey guys, I just got the Mirage video off EBay a few weeks ago and was completely blown away with how much this song ROCKED live! It honestly is pretty mediocre on the Mirage album (except for that great guitar part). How did they perform it on the Dance shows? Also, is that guitar part on EOTW a throwback to an instrumental song or outtake from the BN era?

thanks

:wavey: adam :wavey:

joe 02-24-2003 02:55 PM

adam...i was actually fortunate enough to be at the only Dance show that they performed this song. It was pretty much the same as the Mirage version but i don't remember Stevie being onstage at the time. As a matter of fact i think she took a breather. She should have been onstage doing her thing. Consequently, the song didn't go over too well which is why i think it was dropped from the set. I personally like the song but for the reunion tour they should have picked something like "Blue Letter" instead. I think a lot more people have the white album than Mirage. Plus, "Blue Letter" was always a live staple and think it would have gone over well. Maybe they'll do it again this time.

sodascouts 02-24-2003 05:07 PM

Blue Letter totally ROCKS live. Now, the end of that's what Mick should go nuts on, not the "Not That Funny" orgy from The Dance :: shudder ::. I saw a video tape of that expecting to hear Lindsey "enjoying himself" a la Mirage and instead I get Mick touching himself (OK, touching his "special vest").

BTW, I can't stand "Eyes of the World" on Mirage....the continuous "Eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes" makes me want to stick a cocktail fork in one of mine. But live they don't do that - instead it turns to a fun harmonizing song. What a difference a phrase makes....

madformac 02-24-2003 06:42 PM

live eyes

I agree Eyes Of The World live is great. Although The Mirage live version is good I do prefer Lindsey's "solo" (if you can call it that) live version from the San Juan gig December 1992. That's a cool version with some fantastic guitar work at the end.

I'd like to see World Turning reappear for the new tour. As Lindsey played it on his Strat on the VH1 Behind The Music show I think it is a possibility.

:wavey:

Tusk57 02-24-2003 10:29 PM

Eyes of the World totally rocks on the Mirage concert video! I think they dropped it on The Dance tour in favor of Second Hand News. They are both great songs, but EOTW is better live in my opinion. All in all I think the Mirage album has better songs then the white album. Having said that, I'm So Afraid is my favorite song done live.

Hawkeye 02-24-2003 10:58 PM

UH UHHH

;)

White Album:

Monday Morning
Blue Letter
Rhiannon
World Turning
I'm So Afraid
Say You Love Me

compared to:

Gypsy and uh Gypsy:laugh:

Sorcerer386 02-24-2003 11:09 PM

Re: UH UHHH

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye
;)

White Album:

Monday Morning
Blue Letter
Rhiannon
World Turning
I'm So Afraid
Say You Love Me

compared to:

Gypsy and uh Gypsy:laugh:

:nod: Sadly, it's pretty true imo. I love Eyes of the World and Love in Store LIVE, but the studio mixes are just not up to par. Plus, from the White Album -- Landslide of course, and Crystal. I really try listening to Mirage, but it just doesn't feel like Fleetwood Mac to me. It lacks their energy that even a more fractured Fleetwood Mac during Tango in the Night still found. Mirage is just a little too slow for me, although some people might like its laid back feel. Maybe my whole analysis is wrong, but to me, there's definitely SOMETHING missing from Mirage as a whole album.

joe 02-25-2003 09:11 AM

Re: live eyes

Quote:

Originally posted by madformac
I'd like to see World Turning reappear for the new tour. As Lindsey played it on his Strat on the VH1 Behind The Music show I think it is a possibility.

:wavey:

you read my mind! i was expecting it on the Dance as it was a staple in their setlist for virtually every tour except Mirage. It's really the only song that brings Mick out front and converts it into a tour de force. i like "not that funny" but i think they should retire it. That song took the place of "world turning" in that respect. I'd like to see Mick bring out his old talking drum like in the old days instead of beating on some electronic vest. i'm over the electronic masturbations.

stevierocks87 02-25-2003 03:37 PM

So Stevie wasn't on EOTW on the Dance show? That's weird, because it's a great song for all 3 to harmonize on....oh well....

I am REALLY digging this Mirage video. It totally rocks!!!

:wavey: adam :wavey:

jmn3 02-25-2003 04:31 PM

The Mirage video is great. All the songs are excellent on it. It is definitley the best performance of The Chain, and that is my favorite GYOW.

EOTW and Love in Store are so much different from their studio counterparts on that video. I agree that on the Mirage album, the songs seem to lack any....excitement. There are moments...Gypsy, Hold Me, That's Alright...but overall it's not one of my favorites. Funny though, EOTW and LIS are much better in live form, but to me, Gypsy and Hold Me will always be better as recorded than the Mac, or Stevie or Chris solo could do live.

David 02-25-2003 10:44 PM

Re: live eyes

Quote:

Originally posted by madformac
That would be great, Mike. How is your band doing?

Livia 02-26-2003 05:09 PM

It's funny that you mentioned this - we had a "snow day" from work yesterday - from the Texas Ice Storm and I pulled out the ol' Mirage video to watch.

The Mirage video is the only version of EOTW that I can stand to listen to - I love the "ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" thing that Chris and Lindsey do at the beginning....and that part where Stevie's playing the tambourine and does that thing where she leans backwards and then marches across the stage. LOL

But my favorite part of that concert is when Stevie comes back onstage from the guitar solo in Sisters of the Moon, and her hair is all poofed out, she's playing that wood block thing, and she looks absolutely GORGEOUS. The way Mick is looking at her is TOO funny!!

stevierocks87 02-26-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Livia
The Mirage video is the only version of EOTW that I can stand to listen to - I love the "ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" thing that Chris and Lindsey do at the beginning....and that part where Stevie's playing the tambourine and does that thing where she leans backwards and then marches across the stage. LOL

But my favorite part of that concert is when Stevie comes back onstage from the guitar solo in Sisters of the Moon, and her hair is all poofed out, she's playing that wood block thing, and she looks absolutely GORGEOUS. The way Mick is looking at her is TOO funny!!

I totally agree with you Livia, I love that part! I had have that part of the video forever, because that portion of SOTM is on the Fleetwood Mac- Coming Home documentary, which my mom taped when it originally aired. Watching that video was the first time I ever heard SOTM, and I asked my mom what that song was ....oh the memories :rolleyes:

(Hard to imagine a time of such Fleetwood Mac ignorance) :p

:wavey: Adam :wavey:

Mad4stevie 02-26-2003 11:34 PM

Quote:

Yes - the Mirage version of EOTW is the only one I like to listen to also. I can't stand that repeating of "eyes, eyes, eyes . . ." over and over on the studio version. Overkill IMO.

One of my favorite parts is also Stevie on Sisters of the Moon. She looks great! I do like how she really gets into the song at the end - she has so much energy! My other favorite has to be The Chain. I love how Stevie and Lindsey sing to each other with so much passion in the beginning - and Stevie singing "Chaaaaaaaaaain" while looking totally tormented! The best!!

seteca 02-27-2003 09:19 PM

Quote:

The Mirage video is the only version of EOTW that I can stand to listen to - I love the "ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" thing that Chris and Lindsey do at the beginning....
Yea, that part is totally awesome! Something about it really shows the massively strong musical connection between Lindsey and Christine. I will miss their onstage interactions!:(

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: