The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why do Lindsey and Tom work together? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=7034)

witchywoman 08-16-2002 12:16 PM

Why do Lindsey and Tom work together?

I'm curious to know why other people think these two
seem to end up working together?
What do you think the draw is?
Who do you think seeks out the other?
Do you think there is any ego problems here?

Just something my idle brain has been thinking about.
With the new Petty album coming out thought maybe I'd
throw this your way.

witchywoman:)

chiliD 08-16-2002 12:36 PM

I think that maybe they're working together now because they finally have TIME to work together. Before, Lindsey was working either on a Fleetwood Mac album or his own album, Tom was probably on tour or in the studio and their schedules didn't jibe.

"Ego problems"?? If there were ego problems, I don't think they'd be working together. Obviously, after the "Walls" track, they seem to have compatible styles. And, are working together again, so the first time around must not have been too bad.

I'm not sure why Lindsey & Tom working together is raising so many eyebrows. Is it because of the "Stevie factor"?? Both being (supposedly, in Tom's case) ex-lovers of Stevie and how could they work together? If so, Lindsey & Mick were/are in the same BAND together and nobody seems weirded out about THAT.

CarneVaca 08-16-2002 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chiliD
I'm not sure why Lindsey & Tom working together is raising so many eyebrows. Is it because of the "Stevie factor"?? Both being (supposedly, in Tom's case) ex-lovers of Stevie and how could they work together? If so, Lindsey & Mick were/are in the same BAND together and nobody seems weirded out about THAT.
Way to start trouble, Chil!

Les 08-16-2002 01:05 PM

It appears as though they've admired each other's work for some years, but perhaps just never found the right time & conditions to get together before. I agree with Chili - if egos were a problem, they wouldn't be working together.

Lindsey and Tom share the same manager now - Tony Dimitriadis (sp?). I wouldn't be surprised if they've simply crossed each other's paths more because of that and it's led to bettering their friendly relations and led to collaborations. I believe Lindsey signed on with Tony in the 95/96 timeframe and it was in 1996 that "Walls" (& the other tunes) were included on the She's the One soundtrack.

witchywoman 08-16-2002 01:14 PM

Just threw the ego thing in to get some different opinions.
Tom isn't the only one in the band.
Hey, if we didn't want different opinions (like Chili's comments)
we wouldn't ask the questions. Would we?

clooney 08-16-2002 01:39 PM

Lindsey and Tom

Back in 1988 when Roy Orbison passed away and the Traveling Wilburys had just hit big with such a great sound, there was talk that the only person who could also have been a Wilbury, replacing Roy Orbison, was Elvis Presley. I disagreed: I believe Lindsey could have been one also. Wouldn't that have been a great combination/collaboration?
Chris

BLY 08-16-2002 02:12 PM

Actualy,
I always thought Stevie would be a good fit.

witchywoman 08-17-2002 10:16 AM

I think since the band seemed to be made up of
men, Stevie really wouldn't fit here. I don't know if this
was planned or just worked out that way.
I can see Lindsey in the middle of this group easily tho.
Wonder what kind of sound would have eminated if
a banjo had been introduced in there?

Les 08-17-2002 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by witchywoman
Tom isn't the only one in the band.
Hehe. True. Thus far Lindsey has contributed only vocals to Petty projects. That could be because Mike Campbell is thinking, "Hey! I'm the guitarist for this guy!" ;)

jeffles 08-19-2002 09:58 AM

Mike Campbell is a hell of a guitar player, not to mention occasional co-songwriter and producer......I could have seen LB in the Traveling Wilbury's. That would have given them a truly unique sound. Though, his production style probably would've clashed with Jeff Lynne's...

Cristian 08-19-2002 11:49 AM

Not to mention the one and only George Harrison... Completely different production styles. :nod: