The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Destiny Rules…the song (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59801)

BLY 12-29-2022 05:34 PM

Destiny Rules…the song

Can you imagine this song with Stevie’s 1983ish voice? I love the SYW version but can’t you see this song being amazing earlier on with the same production?

jbrownsjr 12-29-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1280534)
Can you imagine this song with Stevie’s 1983ish voice? I love the SYW version but can’t you see this song being amazing earlier on with the same production?

Agree, her Mirage voice would have been killer. And who doesn't want to hear her sing, "When I See You Again" in her Tango voice?:lol:

On Ice 01-04-2023 07:40 AM

Destiny Rules is a great song and in her Mirage voice, probably sung in a higher key with her signature vibrato in tact, it would've ranked high on her list of songs. In the SYW version, the best part is the music and the production, the vocal is a bit on the lazy side and needed to be better.

petep9000 01-04-2023 04:51 PM

You can actually hear Stevie's adenoids click when she sings the "Like a diamond snake..." part. :(

BigAl84 01-05-2023 03:00 PM

I actually really like Destiny Rules as is. On a side note, I appreciate the attempt to craft a new arrangement for Smile At You. I think the SYW version accentuates the drone of her voice and limited range. I almost think sticking to something closer to the original 82 demo in a lower key would have been a better fit for her. Id be curious if they did a take that was closer to the '82 demo that is sitting in the vaults. It would be interesting to hear.

David 01-09-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1280751)
I actually really like Destiny Rules as is.

I think it’s the most classic-sounding thing on the album. It has a mid-70s, dusty California highway vibe. It would have been a 1977 radio hit.

Macfan4life 01-10-2023 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1280960)
I think it’s the most classic-sounding thing on the album. It has a mid-70s, dusty California highway vibe. It would have been a 1977 radio hit.

That was a great description. Me move me some dusty California vibe songs.

BigAl84 01-10-2023 10:12 AM

In terms of production/mastering Destiny Rules feels like it has the most amount of space and air in the mix compared to the album as a whole.

I'd give my right arm to have a well known audiophile mastering engineer remix the SYW album from the ground up. Add more room ambiance to the mics, take off the compression etc...

Macfan4life 01-10-2023 12:10 PM

Destiny Rules is Fleetwood Mac on top of its game. Stevie's poetry. Lindsey's classic guitar melody and John's incredible bass line through the entire song.
It does have a highway feel to it.
Just another reason to love Say You Will.

When will you haters ever wake up and realize the mastery and brilliance of this album?

BTW, I love the line about driving to and "looking up at your balcony just to make sure you were real" OMG sort of stalkerish but who has done this? Its pure passion and such a great line!