The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rank Stevie’s “Blue” songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59010)

MarkMc1990 08-26-2020 07:19 PM

Rank Stevie’s “Blue” songs

1. Blue Denim
2. Violet and Blue
3. Blue Lamp
4. Blue Water (tbh the demo is better than the 24k Gold version)

Netter75 08-26-2020 10:31 PM

This is so hard because I love three of these songs!

4. Blue Water: I've never been a huge fan of this one, kind of dry. The demo is better with her younger voice but still.

3. Blue Denim: A couple of clunky lines make this one third place but its so fun. Definitely the highlight of Street Angel and she did a great job with it live! I wish the mix was even harder rock and more punchy. Probably the best of her collaborations with Mike Campbell.

2. Blue Lamp: This was so hard because I love this song. Its just so ridiculous and literal. She's going on about this hideous blue lamp and christmas angels and it has a such an abnormal structure. Perfect encapsulation of 80s Stevie lol. Stevie's vocal is perfect and the music is so COOL sounding. I don't know if its the keyboards or the guitars but the way they go together really catches my ear from the very first note. I wish there was a soundboard copy of it from the Bella Donna tour because the audience recordings really rock! The end bit about "the light that shines through the shining night" I could listen to on repeat. I kind of get why it didn't make Bella Donna (its so weird) but I wish it had, it would have added a different sort of vibe to the album.

1. Violet and Blue: This one only edges out Blue Lamp if we're talking about the Chris Lord Alge mix from Timespace with those BOOMING drums and reverb-filled choruses. That song becomes an absolute rocker in that mix and I'd argue is her best rock one outside of Edge of Seventeen. Super catchy outside of the weird Stevie-isms. The Wild Heart NEEDED to make room for this song, it does not deserve to be as obscure as it is. I don't even mind that its way too long, its just so fun to bop to. The regular mix is kinda lame as the drums and guitars are pushed back and the keyboard is in front, which I feel makes it lose its punch.

mitzo 08-27-2020 08:00 AM

Blue Water for the win. Blue Denim would be a good one for second place if the lyrics weren't so dumb. The other two songs I never could take to.

BLY 08-27-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkMc1990 (Post 1259657)
1. Blue Denim
2. Violet and Blue
3. Blue Lamp
4. Blue Water (tbh the demo is better than the 24k Gold version)

I couldn’t agree more

michelej1 08-27-2020 10:06 PM

Blue Denim is probably an average song, but I find it jaunty. It makes me bounce and sing along. It is one of my favorites, even among the not blue songs.

bombaysaffires 08-27-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1259668)
This is so hard because I love three of these songs!

4. Blue Water: I've never been a huge fan of this one, kind of dry. The demo is better with her younger voice but still.

3. Blue Denim: A couple of clunky lines make this one third place but its so fun. Definitely the highlight of Street Angel and she did a great job with it live! I wish the mix was even harder rock and more punchy. Probably the best of her collaborations with Mike Campbell.

2. Blue Lamp: This was so hard because I love this song. Its just so ridiculous and literal. She's going on about this hideous blue lamp and christmas angels and it has a such an abnormal structure. Perfect encapsulation of 80s Stevie lol. Stevie's vocal is perfect and the music is so COOL sounding. I don't know if its the keyboards or the guitars but the way they go together really catches my ear from the very first note. I wish there was a soundboard copy of it from the Bella Donna tour because the audience recordings really rock! The end bit about "the light that shines through the shining night" I could listen to on repeat. I kind of get why it didn't make Bella Donna (its so weird) but I wish it had, it would have added a different sort of vibe to the album.

1. Violet and Blue: This one only edges out Blue Lamp if we're talking about the Chris Lord Alge mix from Timespace with those BOOMING drums and reverb-filled choruses. That song becomes an absolute rocker in that mix and I'd argue is her best rock one outside of Edge of Seventeen. Super catchy outside of the weird Stevie-isms. The Wild Heart NEEDED to make room for this song, it does not deserve to be as obscure as it is. I don't even mind that its way too long, its just so fun to bop to. The regular mix is kinda lame as the drums and guitars are pushed back and the keyboard is in front, which I feel makes it lose its punch.

Agree.:nod:

David 08-29-2020 03:15 PM

Violet and Blue and Blue Lamp are near and dear to me, I guess. The latter is the first time I heard Stevie as a solo act; I heard it before I heard Bella Donna. I really loved Stevie during the final few months of her 1983 tour, and Violet and Blue is the first song I heard (from a Jeff Bridges movie) after the tour ended. I invested it with everything I loved about Stevie at that time. But even today when I hear it, I like it quite a bit.

jmn3 08-29-2020 03:37 PM

The other ones never did much for me, but Blue Lamp is one of my all time favorite songs of Stevie’s. I hate that it sort of is lost to the masses and is as obscure as it is - I think it’s one of her bests. She was at the top of her game in the Tusk/BD/Mirage era and those albums have some incredible songs of hers.

bombaysaffires 08-29-2020 04:04 PM

I love the sound and vibe of Blue Lamp, but to me, lyrically it's a bit lazy and too obscure even for Stevie. The Christmas Angel, "give that to her, if that's what she wants".. give her what? The blue lamp?? It's like she putting together something totally literal, an actual blue Tiffany lamp, and some character that we don't know if she's literal (is the "she" really "me" in typical Stevie changing person style) or is it some mythical character or.....?? Her jump is too vague and unclear on this song for me. But it's totally fun to listen to, and I love the video of her working on the ending of it in the studio with Jimmy, because it shows that he clearly understood what made so many of her songs tick...the intertwined tracks of her singing different lines (she does same on end of Sara and others).

MarkMc1990 08-29-2020 10:44 PM

I forgot to include “I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)”

That one would rank dead last for me.

michelej1 08-30-2020 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkMc1990 (Post 1259716)
I forgot to include “I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)”

That one would rank dead last for me.

I love it. I think I have a soft spot for country Stevie songs.

johnnystorms 08-30-2020 06:43 AM

Same

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1259720)

The music sounds a bit too 'circus-ey' to me, but i love the song.

HomerMcvie 08-30-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1259720)

I think that's why many of her biggest fans don't think Bella Donna is her best work. They hate country, therefore they don't like The Highwayman, or After the Glitter Fades.

Macfan4life 08-30-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1259724)
I think that's why many of her biggest fans don't think Bella Donna is her best work. They hate country, therefore they don't like The Highwayman, or After the Glitter Fades.

Bella Donna had something for everyone. I like her country songs but as much as I like OSOTM, it could have done without "Blue Eyes." At least if you are going to cover the song, play it country with real instruments. That karoke sounding drums and organ is like nails down a chalkboard for me.

Now since you like Bella Donna's country twang, can I bring you over to appreciate Street Angel? Blue Denim, Rose Garden, Jane, etc.

HomerMcvie 08-30-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1259726)
Bella Donna had something for everyone. I like her country songs but as much as I like OSOTM, it could have done without "Blue Eyes." At least if you are going to cover the song, play it country with real instruments. That karoke sounding drums and organ is like nails down a chalkboard for me.

Now since you like Bella Donna's country twang, can I bring you over to appreciate Street Angel? Blue Denim, Rose Garden, Jane, etc.

OSOTM is when $he lost me. I was still clinging to fandom until that POS came out. I tried for months to like it. Then, like a dirty Kleenex, I had to let her go.

Bella Donna - PERFECT album. I love every note.
Wild Heart - pretty damned good album.
Rock A Little - it was okay. I liked it, and listened to it a good bit.
OSOTM - trash. $he'd lost it.

Nope. I'm really not interested in her solo career now. Someone gave me a copy of one of hers(24K???) like 8 years ago. I gave it a few listens, then put it away. B.O.R.I.N.G.