The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Calgary May 17 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52046)

darkcat 05-13-2013 08:24 PM

Calgary May 17

Anybody else going to the concert in Calgary? I'm going to be visiting my brother there this week and dragging him along!

Dex 05-14-2013 05:51 AM

Aw, my hometown! I'll be there in spirit! I wish I'd been able to time my annual visit better. Do enjoy yourself, Darkcat.

I assume it'll be at The Saddledome? Far from my favourite venue. Still am very jealous, though. ;)

Lala 05-14-2013 10:35 AM

I'll be there. Edmonton too! :blob2:

TerraRhiannon 05-14-2013 03:02 PM

I looooove Calgary, and really wanted to save my money and fly there and watch the show and visit my friend there, but it didn't work out.

Have fun!!!!!!!

darkcat 05-14-2013 05:53 PM

Thanks, Im looking forward to it, I have never been to the Saddledome, so I dont know how it will be. It will be my first time seeing them live, I have seen Stevie solo before.

Dex 05-15-2013 06:28 AM

I'm probably exaggerating re: The Saddledome, darkcat. It's just not a stadium that was designed with concerts in mind, and the acoustics are pretty sub-optimal. But it may be a complete non-issue and a wonderful show.

Enjoy your time in Calgary with your brother. It's a fantastic city. :)

Lala 05-15-2013 07:56 AM

Dex is right. It's literally shaped like a giant saddle I.e Saddledome. Not great for sound but I've seen FM there twice and you'll be so wrapped up in the magic of it all you won't notice. And there are waaaay worse venues in Calgary for sound, like Flames Central...

Dex 05-15-2013 08:11 AM

You're right, Lala. I'm just biased against stadium concerts at the best of times, so in truth I'd probably rather see something at Flames Central, acoustic issues aside (I'm surprised to hear they do concerts there though). ;) Obviously with the Mac, smaller venues are not an option, though. What can ya do, eh?

Great to see a few people from around Calgary on here!

darkcat 05-15-2013 08:51 AM

Yay! I'm so excited to see them! flying out today, will hang out with my brother until next week then fly back to Maine. Going to watch Stevie's doc in the airport while traveling on my iPad!

michelej1 05-18-2013 12:34 PM

Bell: Fleetwood Mac magic now just a rumour

By Mike Bell, Calgary Herald http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...story.htmlrald

Fleetwood Mac Performed Friday night at the Saddledome.

There are few perfections in life.

Even the idea of life, itself. And, when you find something that meets that goal, that is that faultless thing, you remember it and you wish it to remain so.

Fleetwood Mac's 1977 release Rumours is that rarity, an album that has no cracks, no errors, no glitches, no do-overs, no lows, no songs to skip, no regrets, no anything that you wish could be anything more than it is.

It marries blues and rock and pop and folk in a way that nothing had or has since, and it was the high-water mark of an eclectic four-decade-plus career.

It is perfect. Even now, even 36 years after its release, it is a classic rock record that actually is classic, not just some fossilized memory of those who were there when it was new, but something that stands up with and above that which has come in its wake.

It's timeless, it lives, it breathes. And it, for most, stands as the thing by which they will forever be judged.

Which is why Friday night's Saddledome show by the band was as dramatically disappointing as it was. A sort-of 35th anniversary celebration of that release - albeit with other songs from their post-blues period - the two-and-a-half-hour show didn't live, it didn't breathe, it wasn't anything that seemed remotely of the moment.

It was stagnant, it was disinterested and it was weak.

Save for the odd moment, the odd great guitar solo or gruff vocal part, there was no vibrancy to the evening, just the equivalent of a plastic-covered couch that's managed to keep the dust away but seems only overly familiar and smells old and stale.

Kicking off with a trio of Rumours tunes - Second Hand News, The Chain and Dreams - the Christine McVieless core (and, yes, she is sorely missed) of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie along with their touring band showed that they weren't interested in doing anything other than pandering to those memories and in the laziest of ways.

There was no energy, there was no magic, there was no real stage show.

There was just Fleetwood Mac as a museum piece and nothing that made that history come to life.

Yes, Buckingham, on guitar, had an inspired moment or two - during that first song and a great solo take on Big Love - but he was alone in doing anything of note and not that interesting in the grander scheme of things.

Nicks certainly wasn't the vibrant, flaky, hippie Gypsy lady of days gone by. Her voice familiar, but when it wasn't buried in the mix, was only a shadow of what it once was - as a half-hearted Landslide and a remarkably tepid version of her solo song Stand Back revealed - and her stage presence that was neither the expected sexy nor even seemingly remotely interested,

If you'd ever seen her perform before, alone or with Mac, you'd have been left wondering whether or not she even wanted to be there or was merely punching a clock because this was where she felt comfortable.

And even drummer Fleetwood, in previous shows a fun and energetic ham who was more than happy to step up and take the spotlight that his name and talents afforded him, was little more than a bit player - his by-the-books encore solo only underscored that - albeit in a show in which there were no stars.

So the night, instead, relied on the tried and true plot, content to rarely if at all diverge from the recorded reminiscence of those songs, and when it did, it certainly didn't improve upon them.

Take another solo Buckingham on the glorious Never Going Back Again, which was little more than a pub performance that made you wonder if a dreary, Guinness-soaked, drunken shouted cover of American Pie was next.

Even a version of Tusk - one of the most underrated, upbeat and adrenalized pop songs the world has ever known - was a flaccid, cheerleader-less take on that great tune, and made you only want to go back to the original.

Just like Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop, perhaps two of Rumours' most perfect of perfect moments, here, this night, late into the set reduced to singalongs for singalong's sake, and even then one you'd want to mouth with a vague semblance of enthusiasm.

Just like every other moment of the long, regrettable evening.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is classic, it is timeless, it is perfect.

Three decades later, Fleetwood Mac, Friday night at the Saddle-dome, were old, worn and what once was.

That's life, I guess.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz2TfOgUXJd

michelej1 05-18-2013 12:35 PM

^Sad, but I'm sure people like Darkcat didn't feel that way about it.

Michele

vivfox 05-18-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1093349)
Nicks certainly wasn't the vibrant, flaky, hippie Gypsy lady of days gone by. Her voice familiar, but when it wasn't buried in the mix, was only a shadow of what it once was - as a half-hearted Landslide and a remarkably tepid version of her solo song Stand Back revealed - and her stage presence that was neither the expected sexy nor even seemingly remotely interested,

If you'd ever seen her perform before, alone or with Mac, you'd have been left wondering whether or not she even wanted to be there or was merely punching a clock because this was where she felt comfortable.

And even drummer Fleetwood, in previous shows a fun and energetic ham who was more than happy to step up and take the spotlight that his name and talents afforded him, was little more than a bit player - his by-the-books encore solo only underscored that - albeit in a show in which there were no stars.
So the night, instead, relied on the tried and true plot, content to rarely if at all diverge from the recorded reminiscence of those songs, and when it did, it certainly didn't improve upon them.
Take another solo Buckingham on the glorious Never Going Back Again, which was little more than a pub performance that made you wonder if a dreary, Guinness-soaked, drunken shouted cover of American Pie was next.

Even a version of Tusk - one of the most underrated, upbeat and adrenalized pop songs the world has ever known - was a flaccid, cheerleader-less take on that great tune, and made you only want to go back to the original.
Three decades later, Fleetwood Mac, Friday night at the Saddle-dome, were old, worn and what once was.

Usually it is Stevie that'll get a bad review from a show. This is the first time I read a review where the writer was disappointed with the entire band.

michelej1 05-18-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1093352)
Usually it is Stevie that'll get a bad review from a show. This is the first time I read a review where the writer was disappointed with the entire band.

Based on what this reviewer said, if someone threw me a shovel, I'd start burying them now, because the future looks pretty bleak.

But although I'm sure his observations had some merit, he went so far overboard in his disappointment that I think it impacted his credibility. It just became absurd, after a point. I'm not saying it's impossible they put on a lackluster show, but unless all of them are suffering from stomach flu, I don't think it can be as unrelentingly dismal as he painted it.

Michele

MikeInNV 05-18-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1093353)
Based on what this reviewer said, if someone threw me a shovel, I'd start burying them now, because the future looks pretty bleak.

But although I'm sure his observations had some merit, he went so far overboard in his disappointment that I think it impacted his credibility. It just became absurd, after a point. I'm not saying it's impossible they put on a lackluster show, but unless all of them are suffering from stomach flu, I don't think it can be as unrelentingly dismal as he painted it.

Michele

It strikes me as one of those reviews where the writer comes up with his premise ahead of time, and where actually seeing the show is just a formality before writing the review. Something like, "You know, Rumours is just the perfect album in every way. Wouldn't it be ironic if a tour designed to celebrate that album 35 years later was 180 degrees from that?" Then he trots off to the show to make sure it lives up (or down, rather) to his brilliant notion.

jkmaletic 05-18-2013 04:20 PM

I wasn't at this show, but considering all of the overwhelmingly positive reviews they've gotten so far, I'd take this one with a grain of salt.

Jamie