The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Linda Ronstadt & the R&R Hall of Fame? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44641)

Heartboy 09-09-2010 12:42 AM

Linda Ronstadt & the R&R Hall of Fame?

Why is it so hard for people to think she should be awarded this? :shrug:

I think she deserves it more than acts like ABBA & Run DMC just to name a few that are in the Hall. I think her 70's work should quilify her.

I've been told it's because she didn't bang the head master there!:laugh:

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=23618316...8676969?ref=ts

HejiraNYC 09-09-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartboy (Post 909530)
Why is it so hard for people to think she should be awarded this? :shrug:

I think she deserves it more than acts like ABBA & Run DMC just to name a few that are in the Hall. I think her 70's work should quilify her.

I've been told it's because she didn't bang the head master there!:laugh:

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=23618316...8676969?ref=ts

Um... I think the head master wouldn't have appreciated her feminine wiles anyway. I think to be in the RRHoF, it helps if:

1. You're dead.
2. You're black.
3. You were a one-hit wonder.
4. The combination of 1, 2 and 3.
5. You were a member of the Beatles or Rolling Stones.

Other than not meeting any of the above criteria, the problem with Linda Ronstadt is that she moved beyond rock and roll, basically badmouthing it, and turned into something of a musical chameleon. She started out in the late 60's and was pretty much finished with rock music by 1983. So she did it for 15 years, give or take, which is short of the 25-year requirement. Sure, she revisited rock/pop in later years, and some of it was actually not bad, but it was largely dismissed as middle-of-the-road adult contemporary stuff. And what probably sealed her fate were her unforgivably tasteless collaborations with Aaron Neville. I suspect that if she checked out of music completely in 1983 she would have been a shoo-in for the RRHoF.

Nikolaj 09-09-2010 10:37 AM

Linda had said at one point she wouldn't accept membership in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame if her name ever was submitted, because she didn't consider herself a rock singer and disliked most of the recordings she made that were rock oriented. She also said that being a rock singer was her weakest ability as a vocalist. Linda and Jann Wenner (along with Peter Asher on Linda's behalf) had a major falling-out decades ago, and Linda has often badmouthed 'Rolling Stone' magazine since. RS had extensive coverage (of her rock career) and she made the cover many times. Most of the articles were very in-depth and interesting, but one Annie Liebowitz photo session made her very angry, when photos were published of her in bed, scantily attired, that she claimed were taken without her permission for the magazine to publish them. John McVie was known to have had a fondness for that particular photo session.
It's a shame, because I really liked Linda's 70s work, but with Wenner behind the RARHOF and their mutual dislike of each other, along with Linda being retired now, it seems unlikely.
People do change their minds about retirement, but it doesn't seem likely Linda will change her mind about rock music.

ButterCookie 09-09-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 909581)
Linda had said at one point she wouldn't accept membership in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame if her name ever was submitted, because she didn't consider herself a rock singer and disliked most of the recordings she made that were rock oriented. She also said that being a rock and roll singer was her weakest ability as a vocalist. Linda and Jann Wenner (along with Peter Asher on Linda's behalf) had a major falling-out decades ago, and Linda has often badmouthed 'Rolling Stone' magazine since. RS had extensive coverage (of her rock career) and she made the cover many times. Most of the articles were very in-depth and interesting, but one Annie Liebowitz photo session made her very angry, when photos were published of her in bed, scantily attired, that she claimed were taken without her knowledge. John McVie was known to have had a fondness for that particular photo session.
It's a shame, because I really liked Linda's 70s work, but with Wenner behind the RARHOF and their mutual dislike of each other, along with Linda being retired now, it seems unlikely.
People do change their minds about retirement, but it doesn't seem likely Linda will change her mind about rock music.

I completely agree with you. AND the RNRHOF is by no means the be all and end all of marking an artists success in the music industry. It's a conceited expression of favouritism and if the Rumours guys and Greeny were inducted why weren't all 16 members of FM?

chiliD 09-09-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 909582)
I completely agree with you. AND the RNRHOF is by no means the be all and end all of marking an artists success in the music industry. It's a conceited expression of favouritism and if the Rumours guys and Greeny were inducted why weren't all 16 members of FM?

Don't get me started again about the "snubbing of Bob Welch". :mad:

Before we get to Linda Ronstadt, how about Leon Russell? I think his contributions to rock & roll far outweigh (no pun intended) Linda's.

MissLadyLoki 09-09-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 909586)
Don't get me started again about the "snubbing of Bob Welch". :mad:

Before we get to Linda Ronstadt, how about Leon Russell? I think his contributions to rock & roll far outweigh (no pun intended) Linda's.

And how about the fact that they snubbed the Moody Blues? Or how Black Sabbath got denied 7 times and, on the 8th time, Ozzy told them to stop putting them on the ballot cause he couldn't handle any more disappointment? Or how Heart is yet to get in at all?

Basically, what I'm saying that the RNRHoF has become a snooty country club that excludes rockers and brings in people that aren't even the right genre (ABBA is very good, don't get my wrong, but they're pop), and if Linda doesn't get in, it's not the end of the world, but that doesn't necessarilry mean she's bad (she still makes great music and i do enjoy her version of You're No Good).

ButterCookie 09-09-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki (Post 909589)
And how about the fact that they snubbed the Moody Blues? Or how Black Sabbath got denied 7 times and, on the 8th time, Ozzy told them to stop putting them on the ballot cause he couldn't handle any more disappointment? Or how Heart is yet to get in at all?

Basically, what I'm saying that the RNRHoF has become a snooty country club that excludes rockers and brings in people that aren't even the right genre (ABBA is very good, don't get my wrong, but they're pop), and if Linda doesn't get in, it's not the end of the world, but that doesn't necessarilry mean she's bad (she still makes great music and i do enjoy her version of You're No Good).

And Blondie are New Wave.

MissLadyLoki 09-10-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 909597)
And Blondie are New Wave.

I always thought Blondie were a rock band, but they're still good. I can listen to Call Me all day.

Heartboy 09-10-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD;909586

Before we get to Linda Ronstadt, how about [B
Leon Russell[/B]? I think his contributions to rock & roll far outweigh (no pun intended) Linda's.

Why does her weight always have to be brought up? It's rude & has nothin' to do with her talent.

chiliD 09-10-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartboy (Post 909716)
Why does her weight always have to be brought up? It's rude & has nothin' to do with her talent.

So, are you the etiquette police? Weight is an issue...read the headlines, the US is the most OBESE country in the world...and OBESE=unhealthy. Got weight issues yourself? Is that why you're so sensitive about it?

ButterCookie 09-10-2010 11:35 AM

And so commences what we have seen, twice, now is it?

I hate it when La Nicks is right but Facebook really is a bit of a bitch for you, isn't it.

Heartboy 09-10-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 909730)
And so commences what we have seen, twice, now is it?

I hate it when La Nicks is right but Facebook really is a bit of a bitch for you, isn't it.

What? I don't think there was a need to be rude about ones weight even if they are famous and it's easy for people to judge. I started this thread for anyone that felt the way I did about her & the R&R Hall of Fame not for people to make cracks.

chiliD 09-10-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartboy (Post 909732)
What? I don't think there was a need to be rude about ones weight even if they are famous and it's easy for people to judge. I started this thread for anyone that felt the way I did about her & the R&R Hall of Fame not for people to make cracks.

No, you started this thread to get responses...you didn't (and can't) limit it to "only those who agree with you". Like Jagger & Richard said "You can't always get what you want". If everyone thought like you, what an eff-ed up world this would be. As would a world where everyone thought like ME. And, thank God (or whoever or whatever) we don't all think alike.

ButterCookie 09-10-2010 12:02 PM

You're wasting your energy replying to him rationally, Chili :distress:

chiliD 09-10-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 909736)
You're wasting your energy replying to him rationally, Chili :distress:

Thanks for the tip, G. :wavey: