The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Favorite Artists Doing Stuff with Other Favorite Artists (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43716)

Zombie 04-28-2010 06:35 PM

Favorite Artists Doing Stuff with Other Favorite Artists

I was watching an episode of Celebrity Apprentice on the DVR last night, and I was reminded of that one time Cyndi Lauper did "If I Could Turn Back Time" with Cher and it was really fun. So I went to watch it.

And then I was reminded of that one time Cher did "Bennie & the Jets" with Sir Elton John, and it was really fun. So I went to watch that.

This, naturally, reminded me of that one time Cher and Sir Elton John did "Proud Mary" with Tina Turner, and it was really fun. You can guess what happened next.

And then I'm like, omg, look at all this fun that happens when my favorite artists get together with other favorite artists and do stuff, and I decided to make a list of some of the collaborations I love best, and invite y'all to do the same. Hit me with links or embedded videos when possible, please, so I can check 'em out!

So, along with all that Cher/Cyndi/Sir Elton/Tina awesome, here's two more awesomes:

That one time Tori Amos and Maynard James Keenan did "Muhammad My Friend"

That one time Ann & Nancy Wilson did "Barracuda" with Wynonna Judd, Sheryl Crow, and Melissa Etheridge. Wynonna is great. Sheryl is...not Ann Wilson. Or Wynonna. But that's okay. We can't blame her for that.

LukeA 04-28-2010 06:44 PM

Very cool thread!

Lou Reed's cover of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" was released today.

StreetAngel95 04-28-2010 06:55 PM

i'm a huuuuuge CSN fan! One of my all-time favorites:

oh, and of course, Stevie and Taylor!

sarcasm

tilthefirefades 04-28-2010 07:30 PM

Placebo and David Bowie

This video completely blows my mind. Taking Back Sunday and Brand New are two of my favorite bands. They used to be just TBS but Jesse (boy in red hoodie in my sig pic) and John Nolan both left TBS to from their own bands after a huge falling out. Well Jesse made Brand New (:thumbsup:) and John made Straylight Run. This video is a year after the fall out, but for some reason Jesse performs with them on this one night.

Zombie 04-29-2010 01:01 AM

Sweet, y'all! Thank you!

Here's a couple more. First, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (when Blixa Bargeld was still with the band, to boot) with the super-fantastic Chris Bailey of The Saints doing "Bring It On." This music video is quite possibly the greatest music video ever made:

Nick Cave with Chrissy Hynde, singing "Henry Lee," originally a duet between Cave & PJ Harvey, but I do not much like PJ Harvey, so this is better.

Zombie 04-29-2010 01:27 AM

Okay, finished all the vids now.

Luke - Thank you for that. That's a pretty badass version of "Solsbury." I've always loved both Gabriel and Reed, so that was great.

Miranda - CSN rock and that was beautiful. Thank you.

tilthefirefades - omg, Bowie & Placebo! FANTASTIC. I forgot all about that one! Sometimes I feel like I should not love Placebo as much as I do, but then I start singing, "Hold your breath and count to ten, then fall apart and start again..." in my head and it's all over but the moaning.

And I might get punched in the face for saying this, but I like their version of "Running Up That Hill" better than the original. *ducks*

Not familiar with the guys in the second video, but I shall check into them more now. Thank you.

tilthefirefades 04-29-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 886991)
Okay, finished all the vids now.

Luke - Thank you for that. That's a pretty badass version of "Solsbury." I've always loved both Gabriel and Reed, so that was great.

Miranda - CSN rock and that was beautiful. Thank you.

tilthefirefades - omg, Bowie & Placebo! FANTASTIC. I forgot all about that one! Sometimes I feel like I should not love Placebo as much as I do, but then I start singing, "Hold your breath and count to ten, then fall apart and start again..." in my head and it's all over but the moaning.

And I might get punched in the face for saying this, but I like their version of "Running Up That Hill" better than the original. *ducks*

Not familiar with the guys in the second video, but I shall check into them more now. Thank you.

I am so with you! They are what got me into Kate Bush, but Placebo's version is so much better...*ducks also*

For the record, and also so I don't get destroyed...Kate Bush is amazing!

Zombie 04-29-2010 02:21 AM

^^^^

Right on, Kate Bush is great for sure and I enjoy the original version of "Running," but I just connect more to the tone Placebo took with it - the lyrics have always struck me as being sort of melancholy, and Kate's is rather upbeat in sound. Admittedly, though, it might just be that I don't really understand what she was trying to say properly.

It's been covered quite a bit - Faith and the Muse, one of my all-time fav darkwave bands, did one that's good, giving the drumming a bit of goff cowboy flare and the guitars a bit of the David Gilmour treatment, but it still sounds too upbeat to me, even if it's pretty jammin.'

On the other hand, Within Temptation (Swedish symphonic metal-ish band) did one that's pretty abysmal. The music part is not terrible, but Sharon den Adel's vox just don't work for me.

That just happens to me sometimes. Like, I am the biggest Leonard Cohen fan you could ever hope to meet, but I connect with Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" so much more than I do Cohen's original. :shrug:

ETA: The David Gilmour linky-loo above actually should be included in the original topic here, too - him & Kate doing "Running" live together!

iamnotafraid 04-29-2010 02:26 AM

Linda Ronstadt & The Muppets: Blue Bayou

Zombie 04-29-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 887005)
Linda Ronstadt & The Muppets: Blue Bayou

Elmo & Mr. Ricky Gervais?

Bonus Hilarity: Mr. Ricky Gervais lectures Elmo on how they can't talk about drugs, child abuse, or the Holocaust.

Oh man, that never gets old.

jaycee 04-29-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 886884)
Very cool thread!

Wow! Thanks very much for this! :D I think I'm a bit too used to the original to say that this is as good as it, but I essentially love everything Lou Reed does! :nod:
Of course the one that comes to mind for this thread is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA. What a line-up! :blob2: I'm constantly... amazed, actually, by how these artists got together the way they did. They're just all so good, individually and together! :nod:
Of course there's also John Stewart and Stevie Nicks singing "Gold". Classic! :) I haven't heard anything else by JS, so far as I know, so I can't say he's a favourite artist of mine... yet...

Erin 04-29-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 887006)
Elmo & Mr. Ricky Gervais?

Bonus Hilarity: Mr. Ricky Gervais lectures Elmo on how they can't talk about drugs, child abuse, or the Holocaust.

Oh man, that never gets old.

That was priceless. "Elmo wants this tape.":laugh:

One of my favorite combos:

hayley 04-29-2010 10:52 AM

If we're talking Ricky Gervais, can we count Ricky / Bowie?

Any excuse to listen to this I take..

hayley 04-29-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 886884)
Very cool thread!

Luke, I'm sure you'll be absolutely shocked to know I hate this as much as I hate almost everything else I've heard from this project ;)

My favorite one of Lou's covers -

Zombie 04-29-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayley (Post 887071)
If we're talking Ricky Gervais, can we count Ricky / Bowie?

That absolutely counts. Which means Ricky Gervais/Mackenzie Crook/Martin Freeman also counts:

Any excuse to listen to that one, too. "She's not dead!" :laugh:

And, of course:

No matter how many times I listen to this, every time he says, "cabernet sauvignon," I lose my ****.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayley (Post 887079)
My favorite one of Lou's covers.

I haven't heard that in ages - thank you. I used to blast the Lost Highway soundtrack constantly in high school.