The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Gustav (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=37154)

ajmccarrell 08-31-2008 12:31 AM

Gustav

Anyone else see Bobby Jindal talk about the preparations for Gustav? It looks like Lousiana finally has a competent governor! :laugh: After watching him, I feel pretty confident that the people of NO will be taken care of much better than Blanco could have or would have at this point. Jindal is actually in the city personally supervising the evacuation measures. :thumbsup: He called out the busses that Nagin (may his name be blotted out) failed to mobilize.

DavidMn 08-31-2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmccarrell (Post 770579)
Anyone else see Bobby Jindal talk about the preparations for Gustav? It looks like Lousiana finally has a competent governor! :laugh: After watching him, I feel pretty confident that the people of NO will be taken care of much better than Blanco could have or would have at this point. Jindal is actually in the city personally supervising the evacuation measures. :thumbsup: He called out the busses that Nagin (may his name be blotted out) failed to mobilize.

allright man, now I pretty much think you are an ok guy. I dont agree with you on most stuff but as I've said, I can tolerate it for the most part. but this is a serious natural disaster. Could we please leave the partisanship out of it this time?

LukeA 08-31-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn (Post 770585)
allright man, now I pretty much think you are an ok guy. I dont agree with you on most stuff but as I've said, I can tolerate it for the most part. but this is a serious natural disaster. Could we please leave the partisanship out of it this time?

I don't know David- sounds like a pretty tall order. After all, this is the same guy who said that the floods in the Midwest this summer were a much bigger deal (in terms of people affected and $ of damages) than Katrina, but just weren't covered in the media as such because it wasn't as easy to pin it on Bush.

Still waiting for those elusive figures to back that up, A.J.

Keith 08-31-2008 09:12 AM

ok..

the local and state levels failed during the Katrina crisis because they didn't have the resources. This was a federal crisis from the start - which is why the federal government should have been involved from the beginning. And about the buses - Nagin was just suppose to load them up and send people on their way? They need a place to go and that requires both state and federal assistance which wasn't there.

The reason we are seeing a much promising solution this time around is the Federal Government is actually involved from the start for once. It looks like they finally learned something..

I agree Blanco made a huge mistake by initially refusing federal assistance, but I also agree that President Bush should have been a leader and override her decision to make sure the citizens he is suppose to protect were given the federal resources they needed. He is the President and had that power - but he choose to attend John McCains birthday party, while New Orleans drowned. During Katrina, Bush did not lead and provide the resources necessary for a disaster this size - the resources only the federal government had.

Just my 2 cents...

David 08-31-2008 09:52 AM

I believe Gustav will hit Port Arthur, Texas. The refineries will need to shut down during the storm, including the TOTAL Deep Conversion Project.

ajmccarrell 08-31-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Hey David! How's it goin'? Anyway, I never mentioned anyone's party in my posting. I just think that Jindal is a competent governor and that Blanco wasn't based on seeing Jindal on the news actually down in the trenches. I never said what party anyone belonged to. :shrug:

Brwn_eyes0511 08-31-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

I agree this is serious stuff and politics has no place in matters such as this. But Michael Moore and Don Fowler seem to feel otherwise.

I'm sending good thoughts to the brave people in NO.

DavidMn 08-31-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511 (Post 770691)
I agree this is serious stuff and politics has no place in matters such as this. But Michael Moore and Don Fowler seem to feel otherwise.

I'm sending good thoughts to the brave people in NO.

Dude I totally agree with you. Both sides need to lay off for this one as far as I'm concerned.:nod:

Musicman408 09-01-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 770609)
I believe Gustav will hit Port Arthur, Texas. The refineries will need to shut down during the storm, including the TOTAL Deep Conversion Project.

No, the eye isn't going to hit Texas, but it does look like it will NOT be a direct to NO, which is GREAT news!!!:nod:

estranged4life 09-02-2008 03:01 PM

The remnants of Gustav are supposed to stall out over Oklahoma, and weather reports have rain amounts during that time estimated between 6"-20" - so here comes the floods once again.