The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sentimental Lady: Solo Or Fleetwood Mac? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=36954)

DavidMn 08-08-2008 01:58 PM

Sentimental Lady: Solo Or Fleetwood Mac?

I thought this would be another good comparison. have fun discussing!:nod: I actually enjoy the Fleetwood Mac version more from Bare Trees.

louielouie2000 08-08-2008 02:32 PM

Bob's solo version is a little too bubblegum for my tastes. Plus I really like Christine's harmonies on the original.

DavidMn 08-08-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 767618)
Bob's solo version is a little too bubblegum for my tastes. Plus I really like Christine's harmonies on the original.

Ok I'm not going to cheat. Did the 1977 version make the top 10 or 20? I cant remember. Guess at 37 I'm getting old.:lol:

TrueFaith77 08-08-2008 07:23 PM

Sentimental Gentleman

Call me a "Sentimental Gentleman", but right now at this very second, I've just hooked up my first turntable. The first song to get played on my turntable: "Sentimental Lady" from . . . . French Kiss!

aleuzzi 08-08-2008 10:58 PM

I've always preferred the Bare Trees version, since it's so charming and understated. As said above, I like Christine's warm but not especially pretty counterpoint, too. The whole arrangement is so homespun and simple, right down to the countrified keyboards.

SteveMacD 08-08-2008 11:34 PM

Bare Trees version. Both are great, but I love the guitar-through-Leslie guitar solo.

nicepace 08-09-2008 08:00 AM

'Bare Trees' version, absolutely no contest.

I absolutely love the Fleetwood Mac version of "Sentimental Lady." I love the vocals, and I especially love the arrangement. Christine's backing vocals work so much better on the FM version, to this listener's ear. The bit at the end where Bob doubletracks is so nice ... almost like a rock 'n' roll "round."

It's less polished than the solo version ... which is one of the reasons I prefer it.

I know that Bob likes his vocal on the solo version better (this is from a discussion on the BW.com message board), but I personally like the raw immaturity of the vocal on the early version better.

Musicman408 08-09-2008 08:28 PM

I like whichever version has Chris singing "All I need is you" during the chorus. Whichever one that is.:nod:

jbrownsjr 08-11-2008 06:42 PM

Gee, I like both... they are like two different songs....

wonder why Welch dropped the 2nd verse... maybe for radio?

in any case both are great to me...

chiliD 08-12-2008 10:07 AM

Can't pick. There's things about both versions I really like; and things I don't like.

I just wish he would've included the 2nd verse on the French Kiss version.

Ok, so, we're missing a version in this poll--- what about his 2nd remake on his Fleetwood Mac Years & Beyond album?

jbrownsjr 08-12-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 768131)
Can't pick. There's things about both versions I really like; and things I don't like.

Ok, so, we're missing a version in this poll--- what about his 2nd remake on his Fleetwood Mac Years & Beyond album?

oh yeah lol!!! i forgot about that...:)

missus 08-12-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 768131)

Chili...Reason for dropping 2nd verse=radio. The single came in at UNDER 3 minutes....which meant radio could squeeze in 1 more commercial...That was a&r/record company pressure in those days.....30 seconds on a "single" made all the difference in the world .... Shorter lengh=more plays=(they hoped) bigger hit ;-)

Bob Welch

jbrownsjr 08-12-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missus (Post 768145)
Chili...Reason for dropping 2nd verse=radio. The single came in at UNDER 3 minutes....which meant radio could squeeze in 1 more commercial...That was a&r/record company pressure in those days.....30 seconds on a "single" made all the difference in the world .... Shorter lengh=more plays=(they hoped) bigger hit ;-)

Bob Welch

that's what i said!!! :mad::D:shrug:

Musicman408 08-12-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Bob Welch

But see, I like the fact that the other one is longer. It's such a nice song, that I hate it being cut short.:nod:

chiliD 08-12-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Bob Welch

I fully understand that, Bob. :wavey:

Actually, the thought process that went unexpressed in my previous post was more along the lines of the SINGLE version being exactly as it is/was, but wishing the ALBUM version include the second verse.

Along the lines of how different from the Abraxas version the single version of Santana's cover of "Black Magic Woman" had Gregg Rolie's electric piano solo edited out right before the vocal came in, as well as Carlos' 2nd chorus of guitar solo...and of course, the segue into the "Gypsy Queen" was totally eliminated. I'd had the single version emblazoned in my head so deeply that when I finally bought the Abraxas album, it was culture shock hearing all the "extra" parts in the song(s).