The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine's keyboard talents (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=35886)

profjohn 04-24-2008 01:18 PM

Christine's keyboard talents

Over the years, I've never heard much discussion about Christine's keyboard (or piano) talent. I'm no musician, so I was wondering what others might say. Was she as good a keyboard player as she was a singer?

Villavic 04-24-2008 05:13 PM

I'm not musician either, but I loved how it sounds when she played keyboards. But I agree I never read any comment about her being a gret keyboard player, as I read about Lindsey being a very good guitarist

Gailh 04-25-2008 03:02 AM

Christine has never claimed to be a vituoso keyboard player.

Her style was perfect (?) though for the Rumours lineup of FM

Gail

nicepace 04-25-2008 06:31 AM

I think Christine's own statement that her keyboard is a part of the rhythm section says it all. She never thought of her keyboard as being a "lead" instrument. That was the guitarist's job. Playing flashy solos on the keyboards was for some other band, not Fleetwood Mac. I'm certain that she'd be capable of playing flashy solos if the arrangements of the songs called for them, but they almost never did.

Nonetheless, some of my favorite Mac songs are the ones that feature her keyboards most prominently, because I just love the way she plays when her playing is an important part of the arrangement of a song. This is true from the blues playing of the 'Christine Perfect' album, to the almost-psychedelic-rock playing of "Homeward Bound," "The Ghost," and other songs from the Welch-era Mac, to the piano ballads ("Songbird," etc.).

It is my opinion that Christine has never received proper recognition for her pioneering role as a woman musician in a rock band. She was the first woman to perform the three roles of singer, songwriter, and musician in a pop band. I think if Chris had been a more flashy keyboard player, she might have received more acclaim for this pioneering role.

Gailh 04-25-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 753262)
I think Christine's own statement that her keyboard is a part of the rhythm section says it all. She never thought of her keyboard as being a "lead" instrument. That was the guitarist's job. Playing flashy solos on the keyboards was for some other band, not Fleetwood Mac. I'm certain that she'd be capable of playing flashy solos if the arrangements of the songs called for them, but they almost never did.

Nonetheless, some of my favorite Mac songs are the ones that feature her keyboards most prominently, because I just love the way she plays when her playing is an important part of the arrangement of a song. This is true from the blues playing of the 'Christine Perfect' album, to the almost-psychedelic-rock playing of "Homeward Bound," "The Ghost," and other songs from the Welch-era Mac, to the piano ballads ("Songbird," etc.).

It is my opinion that Christine has never received proper recognition for her pioneering role as a woman musician in a rock band. She was the first woman to perform the three roles of singer, songwriter, and musician in a pop band. I think if Chris had been a more flashy keyboard player, she might have received more acclaim for this pioneering role.

Very well put. I'm sure she has a good technical albility, I'm mean she's capable of "ploughing through some Mozart" she's just not a flashy player and doesn't feel the need to show off.

Gail

vivfox 04-25-2008 07:59 AM

On my precious Tusk Tour Christine was given a flashy piano solo in the song Don't Stop and at the end of the song Lindsey would say, "wow, what a piano player!"

nicepace 04-25-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

On my precious Tusk Tour Christine was given a flashy piano solo in the song Don't Stop and at the end of the song Lindsey would say, "wow, what a piano player!"
I remember that too. That was a rare chance to hear Chris play a real piano solo. I remember at the time wishing that there were more of those.

Christine's musicianship was on display during that tour more than some others; that is the tour where she played guitar on one song, and of course her accordion playing on "Tusk" is extremely memorable.

Gailh 04-25-2008 08:59 AM

Actually now I think about it on the Behind the Mask tour she did a flashy little solo on "Stop Messin around". I've got the boot from the Manchester concert I think I'll give it a listen tonight.

Gail

michelej1 04-25-2008 11:52 AM

I love Brett. I am especially thankful for him after the UTS tour, but it annoyed me on the SYW tour when he was showing off during Don't Stop and then playing with his elbows. He was doing it more for humor and not for ego, I realize. But I didn't like it.

Michele

vivfox 04-25-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 753271)
Christine's musicianship was on display during that tour more than some others; that is the tour where she played guitar on one song, and of course her accordion playing on "Tusk" is extremely memorable.

I think she played guitar on Save Me A Place. Oddly on the Tusk Tour the only new songs Chris played was Over and Over and Think About Me.

petep9000 04-25-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 753354)
I think she played guitar on Save Me A Place. Oddly on the Tusk Tour the only new songs Chris played was Over and Over and Think About Me.

'Think About me' live on the Tusk tour? I didn't know they had that in their set, I'd love to hear a live version of that song. Was this during rehearsals only, or did it actually make it to the set? Did Stevie stay on stage for it? Or, skitted backstage to giggle with her girlfriends and do a few lines.

macfan 57 04-25-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petep9000 (Post 753368)
'Think About me' live on the Tusk tour? I didn't know they had that in their set, I'd love to hear a live version of that song. Was this during rehearsals only, or did it actually make it to the set? Did Stevie stay on stage for it? Or, skitted backstage to giggle with her girlfriends and do a few lines.

They played "Think About Me" near the end of the tour as it was being released as a single. They played "Over And Over" at the beginning of the tour, then for some reason stopped. They never played "Brown Eyes" on the Tusk tour, but did play it on both the Mirage & Tango tours.

I love Chris' keyboards, especially her piano....very understated and as Gail mentioned perfect for Fleetwood Mac. Unfortunately, from the Tango tour until the Dance tour, they pretty much got lost in the mix.

David 04-25-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57 (Post 753373)
They played "Think About Me" near the end of the tour as it was being released as a single. They played "Over And Over" at the beginning of the tour, then for some reason stopped.

The weird thing about OVER & OVER is that it was in (the fall), & then out (the winter & spring), & then back in again (the final month).

Here's THINK ABOUT from Mobile 8.11.80:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/03ci5n

bucklind17 04-25-2008 09:26 PM

I thought it was interesting when I saw Stevie live last week that she described her two piano/keyboardists entirely differently. The first she mentioned was one of the best pianist she had ever known/worked with/one of those and the other she complimented by saying he brought to her songs what Christine used to bring to Fleetwood Mac and she loved that. Before she introduced the second, I remember being slightly sad that she'd say that after working with Christine for all that time, but after she introduced the second, I felt that left Chris in an even higher regard. Christine's talents aren't just fancy fingerwork and piano solos, it's also heart and doing what works best for the song. I like that about her.

nicepace 04-26-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Christine's talents aren't just fancy fingerwork and piano solos, it's also heart and doing what works best for the song.
Absolutely. Pop music is about songs. It's not about virtuoso playing; in fact, virtuoso playing is often a detriment to a pop song, whether it's keyboards, guitars, or even drums. The playing should always serve the song, not the other way around. Fans of prog rock will disagree, of course.