The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hunting, Meat & Animal Control (relocated thread) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54886)

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1159152)
The mountain lion is at the top of the food chain it's population needs to be controlled. State and local conservation departments issue "Hunting permits" based on population numbers so as long as he met basic requirements and had the necessary permits then Kid Rock was well with in the law to go hunting and harvest an animal.

I understand that in that specific area the population of the Puma is too high, but since the entire species of the mountain lion is endangered as there are only 30.000 units in the entire American continent, and a subspecies even has less than 100 specimen, a better solution could be their relocation to an area in which their number is sparse.
As I previously said where I live there was a similar problem with boars, but they were threatening for the man and the harvests and they aren't an endangered species.

PenguinHead 01-26-2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1158803)
Poor mountain lion; this disgusts me and makes me wish Stevie was never associated to him.

I hate that I saw this photo. Very disturbing.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 1159202)
I hate that I saw this photo. Very disturbing.

I didn't think about sensitive people that might have problems in seeing this, should I edit the photo out?
In my opinion the most disgusting thing is not the corpse itself, and that is very disturbing, but the joyful and proud faces of the two men standing boasting of it.

Danielle 01-26-2015 10:10 AM

Because I live in a country where the few species of big cats we have are close to being extinguished, I have a hard time grasping the "population control" practice. There ought to be other ways, even if less "practical" and more expensive.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1159215)
Because I live in a country where the few species of big cats we have are close to being extinguished, I have a hard time grasping the "population control" practice. There ought to be other ways, even if less "practical" and more expensive.

I totally agree, that' a too easy solution. I don't demand that hunting should be totally made illegal but it should be the last option.

BlueDenimLamp 01-26-2015 11:31 AM

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6616433e.png

The United States is a BIG country and animal populations need to be controlled. In NY State (my state)alone 243,000 deer were harvested by hunters in 2013 NYS deer report

You may not like the practice of animal control but the people I know a that have been in car accidents and had their vehicles ruined because a deer jumped in front of their car think otherwise . If populations are not controlled the problem only gets worse.

And yes people do eat what they shoot. The neighbor has a freezer full of venison (deer meat).

Jondalar 01-26-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1159225)

The United States is a BIG country and animal populations need to be controlled. In NY State (my state)alone 243,000 deer were harvested by hunters in 2013 NYS deer report

You may not like the practice of animal control but the people I know a that have been in car accidents and had their vehicles ruined because a deer jumped in front of their car think otherwise . If populations are not controlled the problem only gets worse.

And yes people do eat what they shoot. The neighbor has a freezer full of venison (deer meat).

and humans need to practice population control by using birth control - the real animals that are out of control are humans

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Harvesting is not the only kind of control, I can assure you.
I also had a car accident involving caused by a roe deer but it wasn't certainly its fault and I wouldn't want to permit harvesting to prevent it happening again but my district fenced the green area and now everyone's fine.
I eat boar, but I don't think anyone would dare eat a Puma.
I didn't want to trasform this thread in an activists battle, so I think I'll stop responding now, and I invite others to do so as well.

BlueDenimLamp 01-26-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1159228)
Harvesting is not the only kind of control, I can assure you.
I also had a car accident involving caused by a roe deer but it wasn't certainly its fault and I wouldn't want to permit harvesting to prevent it happening again but my district fenced the green area and now everyone's fine.
I eat boar, but I don't think anyone would dare eat a Puma.
I didn't want to trasform this thread in an activists battle, so I think I'll stop responding now.

An Agoura Hills resident has said a mountain lion killed four of his pet goats. From NBC News at 11 on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015 (Published Friday, Jan 16, 2015)

A mountain lion captured on surveillance camera video killed four pet goats at an Agour Hills home, according to the homeowner.

Jack Gill handed over surveillance video that shows the big cat in the front yard of his home near Paramount Ranch last month. The attack occured just after midnight on Dec. 29 when he was away from his 11-acre property on Cornell Road.

Gill said he has lived there for 26 years and never seen a mountain lion, and he believes the cat got in through a 6-foot chain-link fence.

He said he found three of his pygymy goats with bite wounds in their necks, while another was apparently taken off the property. He said he found goat hair on top of the fence.

Mountain lions are not endangered in California, but they are a species of concern.

It is estimated there are 10 to 15 mountain lions roaming in the Santa Monica Mountains, and residents are advised to take precautions to protect livestock and pets.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...288796681.html

While Mountain lions are beautiful creatures they are also very dangerous.
This is why people can't leave their pets in the back yard. Even in Stevie's neighbor hood.

DauphineMarie 01-26-2015 12:25 PM

What I don't get, is that so many are willing to go to the market and buy meat which is brutally, mercilessly slaughtered after they have endured months and years of torture in sometimes but have problems with hunting, which, though insensitive in some cases, is mostly swift and painless.

Other than that, I think most of Stevie's fan base are also Fleetwood Mac fans, and probably want some new/interesting material.. It's been 12 years, and how many "greatest hits tours" later?? I think people just don't want the same stale setlist, media coverage, and the like.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DauphineMarie (Post 1159232)
What I don't get, is that so many are willing to go to the market and buy meat which is brutally, mercilessly slaughtered after they have endured months and years of torture in sometimes but have problems with hunting, which, though insensitive in some cases, is mostly swift and painless.

Other than that, I think most of Stevie's fan base are also Fleetwood Mac fans, and probably want some new/interesting material.. It's been 12 years, and how many "greatest hits tours" later?? I think people just don't want the same stale setlist, media coverage, and the like.

It's true, I only eat my grandma's products and meat that has the biologic certificate for this reason.
By the way, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie has always had the tendency to play safe with their setlist and unlike other acts I saw live, like Aerosmith, they don't change their setlist between shows.

Danielle 01-26-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DauphineMarie (Post 1159232)

I agree. Meat/dairy industry is usually way more cruel than hunting.
I've been a vegetarian for almost a decade now and I'm trying to do the transition to veganism but it's not that easy. :/

KarmaContestant 01-26-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Maybe if trophy hunters would stop killing predators that keep deer in check, there wouldn't be so many of them. The cause of the problem is not the solution to the problem. Cougars and wolves eat deer; of course, when all the cougars and wolves are killed for strip malls and subdivisions... No one eats wolves or cougars.

SisterNightroad 01-27-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1159280)
Maybe if trophy hunters would stop killing predators that keep deer in check, there wouldn't be so many of them. The cause of the problem is not the solution to the problem. Cougars and wolves eat deer; of course, when all the cougars and wolves are killed for strip malls and subdivisions... No one eats wolves or cougars.

http://www.f150forum.com/attachments...1915490418.jpg

David 02-01-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1159205)
I didn't think about sensitive people that might have problems in seeing this, should I edit the photo out?

Let's hope we don't start seeing trigger warnings on the Ledge. If sensitive people are especially squeamish and they see a thread with the subject "Hunting & Meat," how about they take matters into their own hands and move on to the next thread? It's easy to take care of yourself—with a little practice! (Too many people these days want someone to tie their shoes for them.)

SisterNightroad 02-02-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1159814)
Let's hope we don't start seeing trigger warnings on the Ledge. If sensitive people are especially squeamish and they see a thread with the subject "Hunting & Meat," how about they take matters into their own hands and move on to the next thread? It's easy to take care of yourself—with a little practice! (Too many people these days want someone to tie their shoes for them.)

I asked that because, being this a relocated thread, at the start I had posted the picture in question in my other thread wanting to explain why in my opinion Ted Nugent isn't a respectable person: (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=54809&page=3)
Since I haven't read anything in the forum rules about explicit violence photos posted for informational purpose I do not think it's forbidden, but, after having reflected upon it, I deleted the picture and mantained simply a link to the article because after having said that that man is insensitive even if lawful I didn't want to commit the same mistake.

SisterNightroad 07-30-2015 01:23 AM

Ted Nugent Defends Lion-Killing Dentist
By Dave Lifton July 29, 2015 10:59 PM

Over the past few days, the world has seen much outrage expressed over the death of Cecil, a beloved lion that had been living on the Hwange Game Reserve in Zimbabwe. However, the man responsible for Cecil’s death, a dentist from Minnesota named Walter Palmer, has received support from noted hunter Ted Nugent.

The whole story is a lie,” Nugent wrote on his Facebook page in response to a question about the issue. “It was a wild lion from a ‘park’ where hunting is legal & ESSENTIAL beyond the park borders. All animals reproduce every year & would run out of room/food to live w/o hunting. I will write a full piece on this joke asap. God are people stupid

According to CBS News, Cecil, who was considered a national treasure and tourist attraction in Zimbabwe, had been researched by the Wildlife Unit of Oxford University for more than 10 years and fitted with a GPS device so that his movements could be tracked. It is believed that Cecil was lured outside the grounds of the park, shot with an arrow and, after 40 hours of stalking, shot by an arrow.

Palmer, who reportedly paid $55,000, has expressed sorrow for his actions, issuing a statement that he “had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt. I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion.

Read More: Ted Nugent Defends Lion-Killing Dentist | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ted-n...ckback=tsmclip

becca 07-30-2015 01:53 PM

I grew up around hunting and I don't understand the people talked about here. I don't remember any joy other than well we have something to eat. We valued it highly, duck and deer and so on. These people waste for some odd enjoyment. I'm sure my grandfather had some feelings of regret or respect missing from the above? Deerskins went on to someone else, feathers for pillows, antlers for racks of various kinds. I know back then the men wanted to be accurate to avoid any suffering, and the animals lived real lives up to then and not a factory for meat/fur/leather. With 11.2 billion people forecast by 2100 I can't imagine there'd be any room. :distress:

I enjoy watching the deer and squirrels in the yard at my parents' home but I also wouldn't hesitate to eat them if I had to, and I read both Bambi and Timmy Tiptoes as a child. I helped butchered, pluck and clean. I support Bear World in Idaho when I can that rescues cubs and also provides as decent a home as possible for various wildlife.

SisterNightroad 07-30-2015 02:11 PM

I totally relate to you, I'm young but my parents are aged and they come from a time when hunting was necessary to live.
Even now in my country hunting to control the number of specimens of some animals is essential because they are threatening to the environment but it's not considered a sport. The animal is cared to not suffer uselessly and no part of the animal goes wasted.
Hunting is not a sport. I guess men nowadays have lost the humbleness and pity to recognize the value of the life of lesser beings.

Macfanforever 07-31-2015 04:23 PM

My late step father and my late sisters boyfriends were hunters.They eat what they catch game also include fishing too.

Now if the lion or any other animals wild or not also including pet dogs and cats goes off and bite or scratch an idiot with was harassing or hurting the animal .I dont feel sorry , " Non life threatening"if the person gets scratched or beating up alittlebit.

I never got into to hunting but I do my hunting at the supermarket meat dept.God knows whats mixed into the meat there or how it was handled in the slaughter house too.

SisterNightroad 08-06-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1170650)
My late step father and my late sisters boyfriends were hunters. They eat what they catch game also include fishing too.

Now if the lion or any other animals wild or not also including pet dogs and cats goes off and bite or scratch an idiot with was harassing or hurting the animal .I dont feel sorry , " Non life threatening"if the person gets scratched or beating up alittlebit.

I never got into to hunting but I do my hunting at the supermarket meat dept.God knows whats mixed into the meat there or how it was handled in the slaughter house too.

Yeah, that's even a bigger problem than hunting. Where I live thankfully it's quite widespread biological meat, when I was little it had been discovered that one of Italy's greatest companies of meat, milk and dairies used steroids hormones and it was such a great scandal.

Macfanforever 08-08-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1170830)
Yeah, that's even a bigger problem than hunting. Where I live thankfully it's quite widespread biological meat, when I was little it had been discovered that one of Italy's greatest companies of meat, milk and dairies used steroids hormones and it was such a great scandal.

Yes.Thats happening here to.

SisterNightroad 08-09-2015 10:12 AM

Here is a bit passed since the time of the mad cow disease and the bird flu because supervision has become very strict but everyone is still very:
http://i.imgur.com/EPK4sVd.jpg

Macfanforever 08-09-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1170954)
Here is a bit passed since the time of the mad cow disease and the bird flu because supervision has become very strict but everyone is still very:
http://i.imgur.com/EPK4sVd.jpg

Yea We had cases of that plus e coli with meat recalls here.

Whos the girl.

SisterNightroad 08-09-2015 02:54 PM

Sorry man, it's a meme, precisely it's "unimpressed little girl"

Macfanforever 08-09-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1170963)
Sorry man, it's a meme, precisely it's "unimpressed little girl"

OK I see.....

iamnotafraid 08-10-2015 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 1170617)
I grew up around hunting...

Your answer surprised me Becca.

As soon as I saw your name I figured I knew what was coming
next. But I was wrong.

As for hunting, if people are going to eat what they kill I have
no problem with it. We are overrun with White-tailed deer.
They are a danger to drivers and they eat up farmers crops.

Why someone would get a thrill out of killing a lion or giraffe
is beyond me though. I could see killing a lion if I lived in Africa,
but to go there and hunt for sport - I don't get it.

But then there are the nut-jobs who want to kill the dentist.
You read more about the lions that were killed than the many
children that die each day in Africa from starvation or violence.

SisterNightroad 06-05-2016 08:10 AM

Today is World Environment Day; this year's theme is "illegal hunting". The newscast for the occasion was happy to spread the news that the giant panda is not an endangered species anymore.
The positive things in my country are that the areas of recycling and Nature, like protected areas, parks and animals,really improved. However still not enough renewable energy.
I didn't know that poaching is the fourth international mafia after the drug trafficking, the human trafficking and the weapons black market. I hope this helps building more environmental awareness with time so that more goals will be achieved.

SisterNightroad 09-01-2016 08:13 AM

If someone is interested, I found the list of foreign brands that adhere to the "cruelty-free" standard, some of which spread to other nations (like Italy), on the Cruelty Free International website (ex BUAV): https://www.crueltyfreeinternational...gBunny?/brands

And the site that represent the standard for USA, the CCIC: http://www.leapingbunny.org/guide/brands

In the UK, also NatureWatch spreads a list of companies that comply with the Standard, but unfortunately the guide is available only on paper, and then fee required: http://naturewatch.org/compassionate...shopping-guide

SisterNightroad 09-21-2017 11:42 AM

FuzzyPlum 09-21-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1216803)

Good on ya Mick. Good man!

iamnotafraid 09-23-2017 02:32 AM

Umm...

No comment on the ESA. But having Mick near
any funds?

I guess having a star of his magnitude serves a
porpoise.

SisterNightroad 11-13-2017 06:30 AM

Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde Demands Malcolm Turnbull Hold A Plebiscite On Live Animal Exports

Chrissie Hynde is getting political during Pretenders‘ big Aussie tour supporting Stevie Nicks, calling on our Prime Minister to axe a billion-dollar industry.

The rock legendette wants to see Australia ban live exports, an industry she says profits off “abuse of animals”, but also one that — according to the ABC — employs 13,000 people and adds more than $1 million to Australia’s GDP each year.

During her visit down under — and as the votes from the marriage equality postal vote are currently being tallied — Hynde has penned a letter to the PM (and acting Minister For Agriculture) Malcolm Turnbull, urging him to hold a new plebiscite on the issue of live exports.

“Live export is recognized internationally as Australia’s most shameful abuse of animals,” writes the singer and passionate PETA member, who’s been campaigning against our export industry for years now.

“I have protested your country’s live exports to Dubai and elsewhere while touring the Middle East yet still, every year, millions of sheep and cattle endure the worst suffering imaginable aboard these ships.

“…PETA and other groups have repeatedly found that the Australian government cannot guarantee any kind of welfare standards for the animals you send overseas. I’ve never understood how a government could turn a blind eye to the suffering endured by the animals it’s supposed to be protecting.”

Hynde goes on to point out that “Australians abhor cruelty to animals”.

“One Nielsen poll found that 86 per cent of Australians would be more likely to vote for a political candidate who promised to phase out live exports,” she writes.

“Just like marriage discrimination, live export should have been stopped a long time ago. If you can’t lead the way on this moral issue, please ask the Australian public to vote on it.”

Read her full letter below, or catch her remaining list of tour dates with Pretenders — both headlining and supporting the great Stevie Nicks — here.

Chrissie Hynde Letter To Malcolm Turnbull

Dear Prime Minister,

I’m very pleased to be in Australia to witness the power of the people in action for marriage
equality. As the final votes are tallied, I hope you’ll now consider a public ballot on another
indisputable injustice—live-animal exports.

Live export is recognized internationally as Australia’s most shameful abuse of animals. I
have protested your country’s live exports to Dubai and elsewhere while touring the Middle
East yet still, every year, millions of sheep and cattle endure the worst suffering imaginable
aboard these ships.

Consider the plight of these sheep, discarded by the wool industry and then crammed inside a
boat among thousands of other frightened animals. They suffer from intense heat, and the air
becomes thick with ammonia, as weeks’ worth of urine and feces accumulate at their feet.
Last year, thousands of sheep died on just one ship bound for the Middle East. The exact
death toll is not known, since their bodies decomposed so rapidly in the sweltering heat.

If the heat doesn’t kill them, the severe crowding of other animals, as they rush toward the air
vents, might. Others starve or become dehydrated because they’re unable to reach food and
water troughs. When they finally reach dry land, they watch helplessly as their companions’
throats are slit with a dull blade in a filthy marketplace until, finally, it’s their turn.

PETA and other groups have repeatedly found that the Australian government cannot
guarantee any kind of welfare standards for the animals you send overseas. I’ve never
understood how a government could turn a blind eye to the suffering endured by the animals
it’s supposed to be protecting.

Australians abhor cruelty to animals. One Nielsen poll found that 86 per cent of Australians
would be more likely to vote for a political candidate who promised to phase out live exports.

Just like marriage discrimination, live export should have been stopped a long time ago. If
you can’t lead the way on this moral issue, please ask the Australian public to vote on it.

Yours truly,
Chrissie Hynde

Read more at http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/preten...ZeBkRr3Qgum.99