The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Who is David McIvor... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54439)

BklynBlue 10-13-2014 03:39 PM

Who is David McIvor...

...and how can I hear his single?

On the site 45Cat.com I found label scans for an advance copy Warner Bros. Records single by a David McIvor, with ‘Closing My Eyes’ on the A-side, and ‘Love That Burns’ on the B-side. It is boldly stamped “Not For Sale” but has a release date of “26, 09, 69” (most likely the same day the Clifford Davis’ “Before the Beginning” b / w “Man of the World” single on Reprise was released) printed on label.
In his book “Strange Brew”, Christopher Hjort writes under an entry for September 30, 1969 (30, 09, 69):

“Session De Lane Lea studio, central London, with engineer Martin Birch and producer Clifford Davis. Mac manager Davis makes a second visit to the studio to star himself as a singer, this time recording another couple of Peter Green’s songs, ‘Love That Burns’ and ‘Closing My Eyes’. Green is presumably involved, but the songs will remain unreleased.”

The person posting on the 45Cat.com site wrote this description of the single:

“A side a dramatic ballad with orchestration and nice flute, not really commercial, while the B side is more bluesy, again with orchestra and a sax”

At first, I thought that David McIvor was a pseudonym that Davis chose to use as I could not find any other information on line for a performer with that name.
However, with a little more research I came across a listing for a Chilean guitarist named David MacIvor who put out a single and an LP with someone named Rupert Hines under the name Rupert & David circa 1969 / 1970
His work was described as "folk / progressive" (no, I didn't make that up) but I can easily see that description being applied to arrangements for the two Green songs without them straying too far from the originals –
So…if this was not a pseudonym for Davis (and now I don’t think that it was) was he a client? Was Davis representing him?
There are just too many coincidences here, with the same two songs, their being “released” (to radio stations at least) by the same company - Reprise is a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Records), and the date stamped on the label being the same as the release of the Davis single –
Interestingly, Davis’ name is nowhere on the single, and as he was not shy about taking a producer’s credit on the other, maybe he had nothing to do with these recordings – though from their descriptions, they sound exactly like the ones released under his name.
If he only produced the tracks, and MacIvor / McIvor did the vocals, might he have considered putting his own vocal on the tracks after finding out that the label was not going to release it? Thereby accounting for Hjort’s entry…?
Of course what we don’t know is where Hjort got this information….

The McIvor single does not appear to ever have been released, but copies of the advance single were at one time available for sale on line, but I have not been able to find any that are currently available.

So my question is: does anyone out there have this single? Would they be willing to share, or trade? (MP3, burned CD, cassette – doesn’t matter) Or could provide a link to it on-line? (I’ve looked but come up empty handed)

Anyone care to offer their theories as to what we might be looking at here?

wetcamelfood 10-13-2014 03:53 PM

Interesting. Never heard of this. If I hear anything I will post it. Hopefully others come along here that have some info to post about this.

John

Rubber Duck 10-14-2014 05:16 AM

Yes, very interesting!
I recently bought the two Clifford Davis singles (Homework is superb!), and would love to hear/know more about this McIvor single.

Mario 10-14-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck (Post 1149289)
Yes, very interesting!
I recently bought the two Clifford Davis singles (Homework is superb!), and would love to hear/know more about this McIvor single.

and Peter played all the instruments on it.....;)

Mario.

LesPaul7 10-18-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck (Post 1149289)
Yes, very interesting!

Any chance you could please upload them to youtube or something? I have been trying to hear those forever!

lazy poker 10-18-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul7 (Post 1150183)
Any chance you could please upload them to youtube or something? I have been trying to hear those forever!

. . . well, should you be interested in a cd-r with the two clifford davis 45s on it - drop me a line . . . schribsel2@googlemail.com

LesPaul7 10-18-2014 05:09 PM

Will do! Thanks!

Rubber Duck 10-19-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul7 (Post 1150183)

Sorry, no connection between my turntable/hifi and computer...
But I see you got help anyway! :thumbsup:

Rubber Duck 10-19-2014 10:37 AM

A copy of the David McIvor single was sold in January:

http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_...969-uk-demo-45

BklynBlue 10-19-2014 08:35 PM

:eek: You're killing me!

dansven 10-20-2014 10:15 AM

This is really a treasure! Never heard of it before.

Rubber Duck 10-20-2014 01:13 PM

Re: Homework

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario (Post 1149414)
and Peter played all the instruments on it.....;)

Mario.

Well, yes...:D,
...according to your (old?) sessionography he did:

WITH CLIFFORD DAVIS - MAY 1970

COME ON DOWN AND FOLLOW ME§ b/w HOMEWORK (Reprise RS 27003)
(Clifford Davis v; Peter Green all instruments; Cliff Bennett backing vocals§)

This info(from The Ledge´s very own Discography) seems more realistic:

Date Performance 1970-00-00
Running Time 3:29
Performers Clifford (G.) Davis (Adams) (Vocals), Peter Green (Guitar), Danny Kirwan (Guitar), Jeremy Spencer (Keyboards), Mick Fleetwood (Drums), John McVie (Bass)

Though I wonder...
Cliff Bennett backing vocals? (on the A-side)
Jeremy keyboards?

Does anyone know more about this?

dansven 10-20-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck (Post 1150436)

Performers Clifford (G.) Davis (Adams) (Vocals), Peter Green (Guitar), Danny Kirwan (Guitar), Jeremy Spencer (Keyboards), Mick Fleetwood (Drums), John McVie (Bass)

Though I wonder...
Jeremy keyboards?

Wasn't the "Before The Beginning / Man Of The World" single listed as Clifford Davis, and the "Come On Down And Follow Me / Homework" single listed as Clifford Davis and friends... ?

Mario 10-20-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Though I wonder...
Jeremy keyboards?

I guess even according to Martin Celmins biography.......
;)

wetcamelfood 10-20-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Though I wonder...
Jeremy keyboards?

I probably put what is in the Penguin discog listings now more for indexing until we can get better documentation on this (If we ever do).

John