The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Say You Will sales ten years after release (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52022)

PolishStevieFan 05-09-2013 02:51 AM

Say You Will sales ten years after release

Does anybody know if "Say You Will" approaches Platinum status? I remember reading somewhere that initially it sold 850.000 copies in US. It's been 10 years since its release, so maybe it has fair chance to finally be certified Platinum, especially considering that Fleetwood Mac's latest tour might enhance popularity of their old catalogue.

Jondalar 05-09-2013 03:40 AM

I don't think an audit has been performed on Fleetwood Mac since around 2009. Landslide has sold over 1,000,000 digital copies but its not been ceritified platinum.

mitzo 05-09-2013 05:53 AM

I like this question - it would be great if it hit platinum. Quite a remarkable album in many ways. Except sales.

Dex 05-09-2013 06:20 AM

Say You Will was the first FM album I bought that I really liked (Bare Trees was the second. Go figure.) Even though I like to think that I find record sales-figures meaningless, I can't help but feel a bit thrilled by the idea of such an important album to me going platinum. :)

Do sales-figures these days include digital purchases? Or is it still physical stuff only?

WildHearted 05-09-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1092169)
Say You Will was the first FM album I bought that I really liked (Bare Trees was the second. Go figure.) Even though I like to think that I find record sales-figures meaningless, I can't help but feel a bit thrilled by the idea of such an important album to me going platinum. :)

Do sales-figures these days include digital purchases? Or is it still physical stuff only?

They include digital.

jcalzaretta 05-09-2013 09:38 AM

Why would there be no audit? I would have thought it was automatic but it sounds as if someone needs to request? I would think Fleetwood Mac would want it for Rumours and Landslide. I have to think Rumours has sold another million since 2003 (last time it was certified).

kak125 05-09-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcalzaretta (Post 1092182)
Why would there be no audit? I would have thought it was automatic but it sounds as if someone needs to request? I would think Fleetwood Mac would want it for Rumours and Landslide. I have to think Rumours has sold another million since 2003 (last time it was certified).

i think they would have to pay for an audit and i guess nobody is going to do that. ugh!

dreamer78 05-09-2013 02:43 PM

they are still getting the money right?
any body know if they get something that shows them what the check is for ? like this amount for this album , etc?

jcalzaretta 05-09-2013 02:54 PM

Seems like Mick would want to know the status. This is his legacy.

bethelblues 05-09-2013 03:23 PM

Looking back on this album, I think it could've been great, maybe even without Christine's participation. I know some say her presence was needed to bring balance to the different styles, reign in Lindsey's material and more esoteric choices.

Instead of 18 songs, there should have been 10 or 11, which would've made it more definitive and streamlined to listen to. Maybe a shorter run time would've helped it reach platinum status with better critical reviews?? Maybe then they could've gotten some Grammy traction?? I fully believe the order should have been changed up to make it seem a little more cohesive, and not the two separate solo records critique everyone seems to give. I'm sure some of you disagree but I would've preferred Thrown Down as the first track, since I love the opening guitar part/instrumental that builds over several bars. It also didn't help that Stevie wasn't happy with the production of her songs, one small public example we all have being the Thrown Down incident. But I have to agree, some of the production choices were odd, and not just for her songs. I can't listen to this version of Bleed to Love Her or Say Goodbye. The former is way over-produced and is missing the raw passion of The Dance performance, and why Lindsey sped up the latter one doesn't make any sense to me. It loses the power and time for the listener to comprehend the song's meaning and lyrics. Two goodbye tracks at the end only solidifies the disparity, that each songwriter needed their own ending to the album. I'm sure some of you have some opinions on the album too...overall, I see the potential is there, and I can definitely see why some say the work is underrated. I only wish in hindsight they had made a few different choices, as the reception might have been more positive and then we might've seen another album sooner.

bluefox4000 05-09-2013 03:39 PM

This album crushed my hopes for a FM sans Christine. I know this album introduced a lot of people to the Mac, But.....man did it not work for me. I call it the solo mash-up. Still does not work for me, ten years on. I still have the album cause i'm a completest.....but it gathers dust.

Mick

Jondalar 05-09-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefox4000 (Post 1092212)
This album crushed my hopes for a FM sans Christine. I know this album introduced a lot of people to the Mac, But.....man did it not work for me. I call it the solo mash-up. Still does not work for me, ten years on. I still have the album cause i'm a completest.....but it gathers dust.

Mick

I don't think works either. They didn't harmonize like they are doing on Extended Play. It was too long and they didn't sound like a group. I like a lot of the songs on it, but as a cohesive Fleetwood Mac, no way. It was two solo albums meshed together. I'm really liking what I"m hearing on EP though.

seekerj 05-09-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefox4000 (Post 1092212)

Mick

I just don't understand why only this particular album gets called out for this. When were any albums "cohesive", and if so, what about them was cohesive? The music, the arrangements, the lyrics... what? To me, all Rumours-era line-up FM albums, having three songwriters, have always had a "separate" feeling to the songs. And that's a good thing, and it's why I was attracted to the band in the first place. I'm sorry, but Monday Morning does not sound like Sugar Daddy to me. Second Hand News does not sound like Songbird. Think About Me does not sound like Beautiful Child. And anything by Stevie or Christine on Mirage does not sound like any of Lindsey's songs on Mirage. (Actually, nothing on this planet sounds like Lindsey's Mirage songs.)

WildHearted 05-09-2013 04:18 PM

I really love Say You Will, actually, save for a few songs that I could do without. I'd be interested to see what the sales figures are for it today.

bluefox4000 05-09-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 1092215)
I just don't understand why only this particular album gets called out for this. When were any albums "cohesive", and if so, what about them was cohesive? The music, the arrangements, the lyrics... what? To me, all Rumours-era line-up FM albums, having three songwriters, have always had a "separate" feeling to the songs. And that's a good thing, and it's why I was attracted to the band in the first place. I'm sorry, but Monday Morning does not sound like Sugar Daddy to me. Second Hand News does not sound like Songbird. Think About Me does not sound like Beautiful Child. And anything by Stevie or Christine on Mirage does not sound like any of Lindsey's songs on Mirage. (Actually, nothing on this planet sounds like Lindsey's Mirage songs.)

I dunno.......lol. I don't. Maybe It's cause Chris isn't there. So it's more noticeable. I DO know I don't like it:laugh:;)

Mick