The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   gunn high school's eff you to fred phelps (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43517)

carrie721 04-01-2010 08:16 PM

gunn high school's eff you to fred phelps

carrie721 04-01-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 880877)
That's fantastic. I bet it must have pissed them off no end. They want to protest, well people can protest right back and make it 10 times better and a really positive affair.

oddly enough, i doubt it pissed them off. the weird thing about WBC is that they have no interest in actually interacting with people. they don't want to change anyone's minds. they just want to shout the hategospel because they think that makes them one of god's chosen people. if anything, they were amused by gunn's actions. and i'm sure it fed into their persecution complex.

carrie721 04-01-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 880882)
Yeah, just thinking about the Louis Theroux documentary where they were grinning in delight as people insulted them. It's also this notion you have to suffer in order to become closer to God.
What do you think about Gunn's protest? Do you think they should have ignored them?

i really like what they did. they weren't expressing anger towards WBC, they weren't really engaging them at all. they used it as a way to reinforce a sense of acceptance & community, and i think it was perfect given the circumstances. it's the only way to "win" with the phelps family.

LikeAWillow 04-01-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 880878)
oddly enough, i doubt it pissed them off. the weird thing about WBC is that they have no interest in actually interacting with people. they don't want to change anyone's minds. they just want to shout the hategospel because they think that makes them one of god's chosen people. if anything, they were amused by gunn's actions. and i'm sure it fed into their persecution complex.

Yeah, I'm sure they just took it as more concrete proof that everyone except them in America is damned.

Those kids are amazing, though. I wish that my high school had been just 10% as loving as they seem to be. When I tried to start a gay/straight alliance, I was asked by the administration, and I do quote, "If we tried that, what would come next? A black kid's club? A poor kid's club?"

carrie721 04-01-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeAWillow (Post 880887)
Yeah, I'm sure they just took it as more concrete proof that everyone except them in America is damned.

Those kids are amazing, though. I wish that my high school had been just 10% as loving as they seem to be. When I tried to start a gay/straight alliance, I was asked by the administration that, and I do quote, "If we tried that, what would come next? A black kid's club? A poor kid's club?"

next thing we know, the newsies will want to unionize.

daniellaaarisen 04-01-2010 10:26 PM

This school is like 15 minutes from my house :) I know lots of people here and a lot of them are actually in this video hahahaha

David 04-01-2010 10:49 PM

I wonder why a rogue Iraq War vet hasn't popped those WBC nuts yet.

DavidMn 04-01-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 880885)
i really like what they did. they weren't expressing anger towards WBC, they weren't really engaging them at all. they used it as a way to reinforce a sense of acceptance & community, and i think it was perfect given the circumstances. it's the only way to "win" with the phelps family.

Yes, I totally agree Carrie. These people want you to engage them by getting in their face or doing whatever so they get attention. I love this video thank you for posting it.:)