The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which SENTIMENTAL LADY is your fave? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14500)

Villavic 05-26-2004 06:01 PM

Which SENTIMENTAL LADY is your fave?

The Bare trees version, or the Bob solo one?

On both you can hear Chris. I think Lindsey and almost all the Rumours lineup played in that Bob album.

ThePenguin 05-26-2004 09:03 PM

I adore the 2nd version-- LB's guitar adds so much texture, and just the arrangement and production are easier on the ear, IMO. Bob's voice sounds a lot smoother also. I vividly remember loving this song a a kid and singing along w/ Chris' 'all that i need is you' at the end. :-) I had (still have) a cool dad who used to crank up the car radio and surround me w/ neat music.

I've always thought the FM version drags a bit and has this annoying hiss to it.

I thought only Chris and Lindsey played on the later version??

-Lis

Hard Road 05-27-2004 02:22 AM

I love both versions but I would have to stick with the original because I thought Bob sang with more urgency than he did on the remake. I do like Lindsey's playing on that version though.

macfan 57 05-27-2004 05:16 AM

I also love both versions, but the original Bare Trees version is still my favorite, mainly because I love Christine's vocals better on it.

Didn't everyone from the Rumours line-up except Stevie play on Bob's solo version? I seem to remember Mick & John played on it too in addition to Christine & Lindsey.

wetcamelfood 05-27-2004 05:52 PM

Bob Welch is playing bass (and vocals), CM: keyboards & vocals, LB guitar & Mick drums on the "French kiss" version. :)

John

greenfire 05-27-2004 07:40 PM

I knew this song was familiar with it but didn't really know who it was. It hit me one day how much I really did like it. Bare Tree's was the 2nd Fleetwood Mac cassette that I purchased after Then Play On. The first song on the cassette was "Sunny Side of Heaven". I was thrilled. It had the Fleetwood Mac sound that I was familiar by the songs done by the Rumours lineup. When the I heard the second song "Sentimental Lady", I was astonished! Here's the song that I knew and was interested in and I stumbled upon it by chance. Yet, it was different from the song I knew from the radio. I even wondered if it was a standard by another artist and Fleetwood Mac was doing their own version. I eventually figured it out, this was the original.

I also do like both versions. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I like hearing the extra verse on the original and to me it seems to have more of a full band sound. Bob's remake with help from the band is nicely done though.

Cristian 05-27-2004 10:38 PM

I still prefer the Bare Trees version, mainly because of Christine's backing vocals, which are much more prominent and important to the song. :)

Song of the moment - Bare Trees

macfan 57 05-28-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Bob Welch is playing bass (and vocals), CM: keyboards & vocals, LB guitar & Mick drums on the "French kiss" version. :)

John

Thanks, John. I thought John was on there too. Well then, it was almost Fleetwood Mac. :)

wetcamelfood 05-28-2004 06:09 PM

You're welcome, oh, and of course LB does vocals on it too, forgot to say before. :)

John

sodascouts 05-28-2004 06:46 PM

I love the Bare Trees version. It's in my top 40 Fleetwood Mac songs.

chiliD 05-28-2004 08:35 PM

Don't forget there's a THIRD version on his recent Fleetwood Mac Years & Beyond album.

SteveMacD 05-28-2004 10:53 PM

Tough call for me. I love Lindsey's finger-picking (which really should go without saying) on the "French Kiss" album, but I also love the guitar solo (that classic guitar-through-Leslie-speaker sound that doesn't get played enough) on the Mac version. I still haven't gotten Bob's new album (I know, I just keep forgetting to get it). I also prefer Bob's vocals on the original, but the "French Kiss" version was great, too.