The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56016)

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 08:20 AM

20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
By Annie Zaleski

When the Steve Miller Band was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum a few weeks ago, Miller took the opportunity in his induction speech to thank “all the women in my life for pointing me in the right direction” — and, several beats later, implored the Hall to be “more inclusive of women and to be more transparent in your dealings with the public, and most importantly, to do much more to revive music in our schools.”

A day before Miller’s speech, a widely shared article, “There Are Not Enough Women in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” went one step further and laid out all of the women not inducted. The piece also noted some even more sobering facts: “Apparently only 37 female performers and bands with women” fit the induction criteria of demonstrating “overall excellence,” while “zero of the executives, managers and producers inducted have been women. Only one woman, Carole King, has been inducted for her songwriting” … and she had to share that honor with her ex-husband and songwriting partner Gerry Goffin.

It’s insulting (if not downright sexist) that so few women have been deemed worthy of a Hall of Fame slot, especially considering the nominations draw from decades of popular music at this point.

And so Ultimate Classic Rock came up with a list of 20 should-be inductees who deserve to be in the Hall because they’ve contributed to the vibrant pantheon of rock ‘n’ roll and its offshoots — embodying the “broad umbrella” of influences, as the Rock Hall is fond of saying.

Stevie Nicks
Sure, Stevie Nicks is in the Rock Hall as a member of Fleetwood Mac. However, plenty of male band members — including Rod Stewart, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton and every member of the Beatles — are also in as solo artists. And Nicks' solo career, besides spawning classic duets (the Tom Petty-featuring "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around") and several empowering anthems ("Stand Back") is also commercially successful: In fact, Nicks has 10 Top 40 hits, just one less than Ringo Starr.

Read More: 20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/women...ckback=tsmclip

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 01:29 PM

Dont get me started with this.RRHOF is fixed .There's people that should not be in there since they are not rock artists and some dont deserve to get nominated and alot they should be in there along time ago..

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1182357)
Led Zeppelin for a start. Even if you aren't a big fan of their music you have to admit it.

What do you mean? Led Zeppelin have been inducted...haven't they?

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 02:15 PM

Oh you're right. They have in 1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees They haven't received Grammys I think?
I'm too forgetful of these things, maybe that's why I like reading about them. Yes, Iron Maiden, Journey, Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, King Crimson, Roxy Music, The Moddy Blues, The Cure, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra and Dire Straits are among the most lamented that have been overlooked.
However we all forgot that today is the 35th anniversary of Trouble In Shangri-La.

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:37 PM

No Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Kate Bush or Carole King. Thats really shocking.

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1182361)
Oh you're right. They have in 1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees They haven't received Grammys I think?
I'm too forgetful of these things, maybe that's why I like reading about them. Yes, Iron Maiden, Journey, Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, King Crimson, Roxy Music, The Moddy Blues, The Cure, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra and Dire Straits are among the most lamented that have been overlooked.
However we all forgot that today is the 35th anniversary of Trouble In Shangri-La.

It's so subjective, but out of those the first I'd look to would be Bon Jovi and Roxy Music.

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182363)
No Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Kate Bush or Carole King. Thats really shocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182364)
It's so subjective, but out of those the first I'd look to would be Bon Jovi and Roxy Music.

Yeah, and no Pat Benatar too.
I think overall the Progressive groups have a greater chance in being inducted earlier.

Macfan4life 05-01-2016 03:24 PM

Without a doubt Stevie Nicks should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. But its so corrupt. Isn't Madonna in it? Madonna does not write her own songs nor does she play rock. Why would Madonna be in the Rock N Roll hall of fame? She can get all the pop awards she wants or create a Pop Hall of Fame. I believe only rock stars should be in the hall.

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1182372)
Without a doubt Stevie Nicks should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. But its so corrupt. Isn't Madonna in it? Madonna does not write her own songs nor does she play rock. Why would Madonna be in the Rock N Roll hall of fame? She can get all the pop awards she wants or create a Pop Hall of Fame. I believe only rock stars should be in the hall.

That's true but in this era of musical miscellany how do you discern what is rock by what isn't?
By strict definition Prince shouldn't be in the Rock & Roll Hall of fame but I truly believe he is a rockstar and I wouldn't want him out. Ah ah, in that case he should be on a Funk Hall of fame or a R&B Hall of fame.

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 05:20 PM

I can see rock entertainers entering the Country Music Hall A Fame quickly since the music gender thing is a bloody cluster effed mixed bag now.

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

I agree with that statement.

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-02-2016 06:50 PM

Blah. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. They are nothing more than a vomit stain in my opinion. Sorry to be graphic. :p

twinmatrix 05-03-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Madonna writes a lot of her own music and is extremely talented and worthy of being there. But isn't Miley Cyrus also in it? Someone like THAT shouldn't be there.

JohnL 05-03-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmatrix (Post 1182477)
Madonna writes a lot of her own music and is extremely talented and worthy of being there. But isn't Miley Cyrus also in it? Someone like THAT shouldn't be there.

No...Miley Cyrus is not in it. You have to have 25 years between now and when you released your first record.

ahafan02 05-04-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmatrix (Post 1182477)

AMEN I'm so sick of people claiming she doesn't write songs...ask any of her co-writers and producers. Madonna deserves to be there. Period. End of discussion.