The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   'Then Play On" 1969 vinyl rip (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44144)

mistermike 06-27-2010 06:31 AM

'Then Play On" 1969 vinyl rip

I was listening to the CD reissue of 'Then Play On" and thinking about the miserable tape hiss. I've also got it on vinyl, but no record player-- so I resolved to find a vinyl rip and met with success!

The sound quality of this vinyl rip is MUCH better than the CD version. The arrangements are far more striking with the deeper impact you'd expect from an original release. The sound quality of the Warner reissue is actually worse than I thought!

I'd recommend EVERYONE who has not heard this album on vinyl check it out!!

http://avaxhome.ws/hraphile/vinyl/fl...inyl-2496.html

holidayroad 06-27-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermike (Post 897695)
I was listening to the CD reissue of 'Then Play On" and thinking about the miserable tape hiss. I've also got it on vinyl, but no record player-- so I resolved to find a vinyl rip and met with success!

The sound quality of this vinyl rip is MUCH better than the CD version. The arrangements are far more striking with the deeper impact you'd expect from an original release. The sound quality of the Warner reissue is actually worse than I thought!

I'd recommend EVERYONE who has not heard this album on vinyl check it out!!

http://avaxhome.ws/hraphile/vinyl/fl...inyl-2496.html

I agree that the vinyl is better. I played mine until my record player decided to quit. I had recorded it to cassette sometime over the years and even the sound quality of the recorded cassette was better than the CD. Thanks for the link to the vinyl rip!

Almost Simon 06-28-2010 05:12 AM

Nice, I’ll download this later.

Then Play On is very much deserving of a ‘Deluxe Edition’ remaster. The CD version is awful. Why hasn’t this happened?

Original vinyl copies of the album go for a huge price on ebay, I’d love to get my hands on a copy but will give this version a try for now. Thanks for posting.

ohwell 10-16-2010 10:42 AM

hey, the link is not working, can someone here please upload this?

michelej1 10-21-2010 07:41 PM

From BlogCritics.org Review by David Bowling, October 21, 2010 He's going down the list of FM albums.

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...mac-then-play/

Change was in the air for Fleetwood Mac after two successful blues albums. While slide guitarist Jeremy Spencer would still be listed as a member of the band, his contributions would be minimal.

Holdovers John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, and Peter Green were now joined by 19-year-old guitarist Danny Kirwan, who would be a better fit for Green. Spencer and Green had virtually stopped speaking to each other and playing with one another, so Fleetwood solved the situation by bringing in Kirwan, who moved right in and wrote six of the 13 tracks, while Green wrote five.. Christine Perfect was on hand as an unaccredited pianist, which looked ahead to the band's future.

The band's fame in Great Britain in their first incarnation as a blues band was at its height. They were a rare blues-based group to issue a series of successful singles. During 1969, “Albatross” reached number one on the British charts, while "Man Of The World” and “Oh Well” each reached number two.

Then Play On was released September 9, 1969 and continued Fleetwood Mac's commercial success in their home country, reaching number six and 109 in The United States. It was also their first release for The Warner Brothers label, with whom they would remain to the present day. Some early copies of the album came with a bonus single of “Oh Well,” which had not been included on the original release.

This album is one of the forgotten gems of The British Blues movement. Fleetwood and McVie lay down a solid foundation and the guitars of Green and Kirwan work together brilliantly.

Two of the Green compositions are among the best to come from the late sixties rock/blues era. “Closing My Eyes” is a Green vocal at its emotional best. “Rattlesnake Shake” just rocks in a blues sense from beginning to end. If this song doesn’t grab your attention and get you up out of your chair, nothing will.

Kirwan also has his high points as well. “Coming Your Way” is the album's lead track and quickly proves there is a new guitarist in town. He is an exact fit for Green and each bring out the best in the other. “When You Say” and “Like Crying” are still worth multiple listens today.

Green and Kirwan would both become tragic figures. They would be in Munich together and legend has it took drugs at the same party. Both would endure years of mental illness, institutionalization, and homelessness. It would take Green decades to recover, but Kirwan never would and remains missing from the music scene. Both are members of The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for their work with Fleetwood Mac.

Then Play On contains the best of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Had they stayed together they might have formed one of the great guitar duos. Rock ‘n’ roll is dotted with "What Ifs," so this album will have to stand as their defining statement.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article...#ixzz132m9gO66

bretonbanquet 10-22-2010 12:11 PM

^^

Just to say, Danny wasn't present at *that party*. The drugs that Peter took aren't to blame for what happened to Danny.

doodyhead 10-22-2010 03:05 PM

Danny was at the party

I must have mis read and mis heard the bio stuff but I reallly thought Danny was down in the basement with Peter and the German "hippies" playing on acid

rocknrolldoggie 06-04-2015 04:39 PM

Then Play On Vinyl Rip

Anyone have a copy of this vinyl rip they might be willing to share? This site now looks a bit shady. Thanks!!!

Almost Simon 06-04-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolldoggie (Post 1167380)
Anyone have a copy of this vinyl rip they might be willing to share? This site now looks a bit shady. Thanks!!!

There's a cd reissue now, that might be a better bet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Play-Ex...s=then+play+on

or you can buy on vinyl

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Play-VI...s=then+play+on

rocknrolldoggie 06-04-2015 05:16 PM

Yeah - I'm aware of the reissues, although the general consensus continues to be that nothing beats a needle drop of the original UK press, which (shocker) I can't afford at the $100 going rate for a decent copy from a reliable source.

THD 06-04-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bretonbanquet (Post 916276)
^^

Just to say, Danny wasn't present at *that party*. The drugs that Peter took aren't to blame for what happened to Danny.

Well accordingthe BBC doc Peter Green Man of the World BBC4 Danny was indeed there Jeremy Spencer certainly thinks so !

rocknrolldoggie 06-04-2015 08:20 PM

I've read a few different versions regarding Danny's presence at the so-called Munich incident. It would seem the most informed parties (i.e. those also present) place him there. My experience is this - what can seem to be good acid (at the time) can end up having detrimental long-term effects. Most former indulgers I know aren't doing so hot; they get along ok but just don't seem too with it a lot of the time. Yet they insist they never had a bad trip. So it does bother me personally that "studies" come out once in a while arguing that the opposite is true; I don't know how you can analyze before and after effects without a time machine. The risk wouldn't seem to match the reward in any event. It's a helluva drug for sure.

jeremy spencer 06-05-2015 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THD (Post 1167385)
Well accordingthe BBC doc Peter Green Man of the World BBC4 Danny was indeed there Jeremy Spencer certainly thinks so !

Danny was there the whole time, jamming with Pete and the German guys in the basement.

FuzzyPlum 06-05-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy spencer (Post 1167425)
Danny was there the whole time, jamming with Pete and the German guys in the basement.

I'm sure this has been covered extensively...
I'm aware it was Peter the Munich bunch were desperately after for whatever reason. I also believe Danny (and Dennis Keane?) went with Peter.
Jeremy, if you don't mind, do you have any recollection how Danny ended up going with Peter in the first place? Were you initially all aware he had even gone? If Danny went with Peter. why didn't you, Mick and John also go at the same time? Indeed, I'm guessing you got there quite a bit later (the next day?). Do you recall how and why you ended up travelling after them?
many thanks in advance if you have any recollections.

jeremy spencer 06-05-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1167453)
I'm sure this has been covered extensively...
I'm aware it was Peter the Munich bunch were desperately after for whatever reason. I also believe Danny (and Dennis Keane?) went with Peter.
Jeremy, if you don't mind, do you have any recollection how Danny ended up going with Peter in the first place? Were you initially all aware he had even gone? If Danny went with Peter. why didn't you, Mick and John also go at the same time? Indeed, I'm guessing you got there quite a bit later (the next day?). Do you recall how and why you ended up travelling after them?
many thanks in advance if you have any recollections.

Mick and I arrived about an hour after they got there. Around ten that night, and the jam sounded horrible ... out of tune, savage and meandering. Typical bad acid fare! That is my last comment on this site about the whole dead fiasco.