The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie and Prince (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=12774)

trackaghost 01-08-2004 06:22 PM

Stevie and Prince

The mention of the song Thousand Days made me think of this.
I have a couple of questions about Stevie and Prince and I hope someone can help (sorry if this subject has been raised before).

Firstly, there's a demo floating around called All Over You allegedly by Stevie and Prince. Is this for real? Does anyone know? sometimes I think it's authentic other times I don't know.

Also I've heard the song Thousand Days is about Prince. Is that true? I remember the little bits she said about Prince in VH1's Storytellers and in that Spin interview with Courtney Love, but often what Stevie says doesn't make sense! :)
Were they friends and what exactly happened?! I know she was at the Purple Rain premiere because I've seen pictures of her attending (in an awful white dress!).

Very curious about this!

Thanks in advance guys and I hope you can help!

:wavey:

dissention 01-08-2004 06:28 PM

Even Prince fans doubt that All Over You is a Prince song, doll. :nod: ;) And I can't imagine Stevie being a part in recording that.

Thousand Days is allegedly about Prince. Apparently, he got rather mad when Stevie asked for cough medicine and replied "I'm not here to get you hooked on another drug!" :laugh: One of the factors that broke up their friendship was her refusal to go out on a date with him. She was rather bitchy and mean when talking about Prince in '94 on the Mark & Brian show. I felt for the guy after she trashed him so badly and made fun of him.

darklinensuit 01-08-2004 06:46 PM

Re: Stevie and Prince

Quote:

Originally posted by trackaghost
The mention of the song Thousand Days made me think of this.
I have a couple of questions about Stevie and Prince and I hope someone can help (sorry if this subject has been raised before).

Firstly, there's a demo floating around called All Over You allegedly by Stevie and Prince. Is this for real? Does anyone know? sometimes I think it's authentic other times I don't know.

Also I've heard the song Thousand Days is about Prince. Is that true? I remember the little bits she said about Prince in VH1's Storytellers and in that Spin interview with Courtney Love, but often what Stevie says doesn't make sense! :)
Were they friends and what exactly happened?! I know she was at the Purple Rain premiere because I've seen pictures of her attending (in an awful white dress!).

Very curious about this!

Thanks in advance guys and I hope you can help!

:wavey:

About ten years ago in an interview she said that he had asked her why she walked out of Purple Rain, and she had replied that it popped her brain when his character hit Appolonia's. This comment hurt Prince's feelings, apparently, so they stopped talking for a long time.

- Jake

joe 01-08-2004 07:14 PM

Quote:

Can you tell me what she said exactly Dissention, as I've never heard that interview.

thanks!

yeah, i'd love to hear it too.

gldstwmn 01-08-2004 08:44 PM

I remember some of the Mark and Brian interview. She said Prince came to a Fleetwood mac show in Minneapolis and they went off to his house together, he in his little purple velvet outfit and purple Trans Am. They were going about 120 mph down the freeway and she said to him "If we get pulled over, we're dead." I get the impression she might have had a little weed on her. They got back to his house and she fell asleep on the kitchen floor because it was the only cool place in the house. She said nothing ever happened between them becasue he was too weird. She woke up the next morning and said that she almost missed her plane.

strandinthewind 01-08-2004 08:51 PM

Kudos to the www.nicksfix.com

from

Details
August 1994
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stevie Nicks
Would you stay if she promised you heaven
by Lance Loud

Details: Really? What about you and Prince?

Stevie Nicks: Let me state this here and now: We did not have a sexual relationship--I did not let that happen.

Details: How did you meet?

Stevie Nicks: When we were recording "Stand Back" I decided to be really blatant and call Prince up and tell him that I had been inspired to write the song while listening to "Little Red Corvette." I told him that I figured my song was half his. He came over to the studio where I was recording and listened to it--as I turned extremely white and started to shake. Then he walked over to the piano and put on a really incredible keyboard track. And not only did Prince make it up right on the spot, he played it with only two fingers. Then he left.

Details: Did you see him again?

Stevie Nicks: Yes, when I was on the road a year or so later. I was sick, and Prince brought some cough syrup up to my hotel room. He was sweet--he walked around the room folding things, fluffing pillows, tidying up in general. Then he gave me a spoon of it himself. But when I asked for another spoonful he changed--he said, "I didn't come all the way up here just to get you hooked on another substance!" Then he left.

Details: Do you still see him?

Stevie Nicks: No. I was at the premiere of Purple Rain, and in the scene where he slaps Apollonia I freaked and had to go sit in the bathroom. Afterward I went back to see him, and when he asked why I'd left, I had to tell him, "When you popped Apollonia, it kinda popped my brain." He looked at me like it just killed him. We've never spoken since. (sighs) It’s a shame, really...we were alike in so many ways.

Details: Such as?

Stevie Nicks: Well, for one thing, we both liked wearing black chiffon around the house.

From

Q104.3 Radio in New York - Interview
May 7, 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a transcription of the interview with Stevie on Q104.3 Radio in New York on May 7, 2001 with host Bob Buchmann.

. . .

Bob: It's 7:15 in the morning, and Stevie Nicks, right there, and after that, Jimi Hendrix and Purple Haze. We . . . Stevie Nicks, our very special guest this morning . . . we were just talking in the studio about The Purple One, which the Hendrix kind of brought on and . . . you know, Prince still these days in the news.

Stevie: You wanna hear a story about Prince? One time we played New York and he came and picked me up . . . he wanted to take me out to his house. Of course none of my people wanted to just let me go. Nine-thirty in the morning. We get in Prince's purple car. He was in his purple clothes too. Swear to God. I had halfway gotten out of my stage clothes, but I still had the skirt on, and tennis shoes . . . I get in his car, and we're, I kid you not, in Minnesota. We went down the freeway at 150 miles an hour. And I am, like, "We're gonna get pulled over. This is gonna look so bad. We're gonna get pulled over, Prince. We're going 150 miles an hour." So I went out and spent the day at his purple house. We kind of played around with a song for a little while, in his recording studio a little bit, and then he took me back to be at the Fleetwood Mac plane at, like, three o'clock in the afternoon. I made it back on time to take off and go to the next gig. But I swore we were gonna be pulled over. And how are we gonna . . . looking like we look . . . how are we going to get out of this one? What are we gonna say? We were, you know, we were just casually cruising out to your house, you know . . . at 150 miles an hour. Prince, we're gonna go to jail, both of us. He didn't care. He kept going.

Mad4stevie 01-08-2004 11:43 PM

I think Stevie mentioned the whole "Stand Back" incident on her Storytellers show. She didn't seem bitter about working with him, at that point.

Johnny Stew 01-09-2004 01:16 AM

Re: Stevie and Prince

Quote:

I do not, for one minute, think this is authentic... and I never have.

ricohv 01-09-2004 10:18 AM

Personally, I think it is. It sounds just like her (to me) and I think she would record something like that, besides it was just a demo that she probably thought noone would ever hear. Now if it were Sugar Walls or Wendy, well I'd be a little shocked.
Also, do you ever read her quotes and just kind if wince? The scene "kind of popped her brain"? I think too many years of substance abuse may have been the more likely cause. I mean, I beleive her to be intelligent and literate, but asometimes the way she expresses herself in interviews makes her sound like such a ding-dong! A sweet and loveable one of course!
Ricoh

Johnny Stew 01-09-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ricohv
Also, do you ever read her quotes and just kind if wince? The scene "kind of popped her brain"? I think too many years of substance abuse may have been the more likely cause. I mean, I beleive her to be intelligent and literate, but asometimes the way she expresses herself in interviews makes her sound like such a ding-dong! A sweet and loveable one of course!
I think the fact that Stevie often peppers her conversations with "hippie-isms," is why she sometimes comes off sounding flaky in interviews, despite her obvious intelligence.

dissention 01-09-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I think the fact that Stevie often peppers her conversations with "hippie-isms," is why she sometimes comes off sounding flaky in interviews, despite her obvious intelligence.
I think her little Stevie-isms just make her sound more down-to-earth and relatable, personally. I pepper my conversations the same way; it adds much flavor. :D

darklinensuit 01-09-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I love that quote about being approached by Hollywood types, but being too much of a hippie to do that side of Hollywood.
Cheers to the woman who one time was part of Janis J.'s opening act!

- Jake

Johnny Stew 01-09-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

What makes you think it's not authentic Johnny?
It's doesn't sound enough like Stevie to convince me.

To my ears, it sounds like someone whose voice bears a passing resemblence to Stevie's, and that's the extent of it.

Plus, the discussion at the beginning seems contrived:

1st male voice: "Now why don't you sing on this?"

2nd male voice: "Oh, that'd be great!"

Female voice: "OK!"

1st male voice: "We want a girl's sound on this."

Johnny Stew 01-09-2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dissention
I think her little Stevie-isms just make her sound more down-to-earth and relatable, personally. I pepper my conversations the same way; it adds much flavor. :D
Oh, trust me, I love them too (as if you really had any doubt).
I just tend to think it's one of the reasons why she's written off as a bit of a ditz, when to those of us who follow her, it's obvious that she's very intelligent.

And I agree, it does make her seem more down-to-earth. She's always seemed like the most friendly and approachable Maccer, despite the "fairy princess" aspect of her image.

SpyNote 01-09-2004 06:53 PM

Thousand Days

I've only heard the song being about Prince through fans' interpretations, not from anything Stevie specifically said about the song. Was there an interview where she actually revealed the inspiration for writing Thousand Days? Was Prince actually the "greatest love" that became the "greatest pain"? I always thought this song was another chapter about Joe Walsh. He seemed like one volatile dude.