The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hypnotized (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42424)

Lee 12-06-2009 08:34 PM

Hypnotized

I first heard this song on my local, classic rock radio station on two for Tuesday, when they play two songs by the same artist. I really like this song, & they usually play it after a song like "Go Your Own Way". I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with the Mac's older stuff, but I like to check them out once in a while. So I got on YouTube tonight & checked this song out. I've seen Lindsey sing it & I've sing Bob Welch sing it, but I know Lindsey wasn't the original singer on it because I think it came out before he & Stevie joined the band. So that's why I'm posting this here. Maybe someone familiar with the "Pre-Rumours" music could fill me in on the background of this song.

Thanks,

Lee :)

slipkid 12-07-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 858620)
I first heard this song on my local, classic rock radio station on two for Tuesday, when they play two songs by the same artist. I really like this song, & they usually play it after a song like "Go Your Own Way". I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with the Mac's older stuff, but I like to check them out once in a while. So I got on YouTube tonight & checked this song out. I've seen Lindsey sing it & I've sing Bob Welch sing it, but I know Lindsey wasn't the original singer on it because I think it came out before he & Stevie joined the band. So that's why I'm posting this here. Maybe someone familiar with the "Pre-Rumours" music could fill me in on the background of this song.

Thanks,

Lee :)

Hello fellow Delawarean. "Hypnotized" is a jazzy Bob Welch song (with a Jobim mood) that I heard from classic rock radio sometime in the 80's. It was one of those tunes that I thought didn't get it's due compared to the post 1975 band's success. Then I heard Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady" from the "Bare Trees" album. The later Bob Welch solo album version doesn't stand up to original with Christine McVie singing back-up vocals.

"Mystery To Me" isn't that expensive to purchase. That's the album with "Hypnotized". If you happen to like that album, move on to "Bare Trees". If you're still interested, try "Future Games". Then if you really want to hear what the original band left as their last album, buy "Then Play On". You need to work backwards, otherwise some of the music will probably come as quite a shock. Personally, one of my greatest discoveries was the original version of Fleetwood Mac, with Danny Kirwan joining a year after. Had that version remained, they would've been the British version of the Allman Brothers.

nicepace 12-07-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipkid (Post 858657)
Then I heard Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady" from the "Bare Trees" album. The later Bob Welch solo album version doesn't stand up to original with Christine McVie singing back-up vocals.

I agree with that opinion. The later, Lindsey Buckingham-produced version is too slick, too "commercial," for my taste. But let's make clear this is not a slam against Christine, who sings backing vocals on the original version too. I like her backing vocals on the original a great deal! She's in the band along with Bob Welch during his entire five-album tenure.

I second the advice, just go ahead and buy 'Mystery To Me.' There are a lot of us who love the album. I personally rank it among my two favorite FM albums of all time ('Bare Trees' being my other favorite).

chiliD 12-07-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 858690)
The later, Lindsey Buckingham-produced version is too slick, too "commercial," for my taste.

Plus, it's missing the all-important 2nd verse!!!!!!! :eek:

But, it DOES SOMEWHAT answer the question "What would Fleetwood Mac sound like had Welch NOT left and they added Lindsey & Stevie anyway?".

mylittledemon 12-08-2009 09:21 PM

I dont think anyone has ever posed this question... has anyone else noticed that on the recording (and the live performances) that Welch always says "Hyp-muh-tized"? :lol:

jenniferuk 12-08-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 858964)
I dont think anyone has ever posed this question... has anyone else noticed that on the recording (and the live performances) that Welch always says "Hyp-muh-tized"? :lol:

Yes!!! I've noticed that--love (LOVE!) the song but that little 'quirk' has always annoyed me a bit.

louielouie2000 12-08-2009 09:27 PM

Track down and buy Mystery To Me. It's the absolute best jumping off point for pre '75 Mac. If you're a Stevie fan, you will like this album. Outside of that, every single song is worth it's weight in gold. I think it's probably the highest quality Mac album of all time... absolutely NO filler. The album is worth it for Hypnotized and Why alone... amongst Bob Welch's and Christine McVie's best Mac contributions of all time. ChiliD is right... this is what Fleetwood Mac would have sounded like had Lindsey and Stevie never been hired. And it's surprisingly not all that different from post '75 Mac. Christine's songs are every bit as bubbly and head bobbing as they were in the Rumours era. GREAT music on this album!

Being a North Carolinian, I asked Bob Welch in his Penguin Q&A several years back about Hypnotized... and the significance of the verse talking about the pond in North Carolina with walls of glass. Bob said he and a friend were riding dirt bikes in a heavily forested area near Winston-Salem, and they came upon what they believed was a meteor crater which was filled with water. He said it had a weird vibe, and totally creeped them out, and they high tailed it out of there. It seems like Bob was just taking stories of the supernatural and weaving them together for Hypnotized... and kind of looking at them all collectively in a philosophic way.

Bob is without a doubt my favorite Macster outside of the Rumours line up. He had a deep love for the mystical... and you could argue he had a much more intellectual way of looking at mysticism than Stevie Nicks for instance. I have often wondered what the Mac would have sounded like with Stevie, Lindsey, and Bob. Crowded probably... but they could have made some damn cool music! :thumbsup:

chiliD 12-08-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 858967)
It seems like Bob was just taking stories of the supernatural and weaving them together for Hypnotized... and kind of looking at them all collectively in a philosophic way.

In one of the Q&As he said something about reading books by Carlos Casteneda around that time which he drew from

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 858967)
I have often wondered what the Mac would have sounded like with Stevie, Lindsey, and Bob. Crowded probably... but they could have made some damn cool music! :thumbsup:

Ummm...Louie? Re-read my last post regarding Bob's French Kiss version of "Sentimental Lady"....

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 858720)
But, it DOES SOMEWHAT answer the question "What would Fleetwood Mac sound like had Welch NOT left and they added Lindsey & Stevie anyway?".

louielouie2000 12-08-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 858969)
In one of the Q&As he said something about reading books by Carlos Casteneda around that time which he drew from

Ummm...Louie? Re-read my last post regarding Bob's French Kiss version of "Sentimental Lady"....

Ahh, that makes sense! I've read a couple of my Dad's Carlos Castenada books on Don Juan myself. Neat, albeit "out there" stuff!

And who'd a thunk it... you and I having similar trains of thought on the same subject! :p

chiliD 12-09-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 858985)
Ahh, that makes sense! I've read a couple of my Dad's Carlos Castenada books on Don Juan myself. Neat, albeit "out there" stuff!

Welch even references "Don Juan" by name during "Miles Away" ("....Don Juan goes up in a cloud of smoke; and all those Hari Krishnas turned out to be a joke....")

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 858985)
And who'd a thunk it... you and I having similar trains of thought on the same subject! :p

Hey, even weirder things happen around here at times. :thumbsup:

nicepace 12-09-2009 09:06 PM

Not all of Christine's songs from this era are "bubbly." Her great "Why" is very, very sad.

I personally don't see the connection between liking Stevie and liking 'Mystery To Me.' I think it makes more sense to say that if you like Christine, you'll like 'MTM.'

As for Bob Welch ... is he the most cerebral writer in the history of Fleetwood Mac?

louielouie2000 12-09-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 859193)
Not all of Christine's songs from this era are "bubbly." Her great "Why" is very, very sad.

I personally don't see the connection between liking Stevie and liking 'Mystery To Me.' I think it makes more sense to say that if you like Christine, you'll like 'MTM.'

As for Bob Welch ... is he the most cerebral writer in the history of Fleetwood Mac?

You're totally right... Why and Way I Feel are good examples of Christine's pre '75 Mac music not being entirely bubbly. She definitely had a deeper, more serious side to her than she perhaps had post '75. But there are songs like Just Crazy Love, Believe Me,and Keep On Going that could have been on any of the Buckingham Nicks era Mac albums.

The reason I said why anyone who likes Stevie would like this album is twofold. Firstly, the thread starter has a Stevie avatar... so comparing this album to Nicks was the best route. Secondly, this album has a very pop oriented, yet extremely mystical sound... very approachable for Stevie fans. All of Christine's Mac songs from any era are worth their weight in platinum... that's a given. Nobody is ever let down by her material, period. :D

doodyhead 12-10-2009 03:21 AM

Carlos Casteneda

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 859142)
Welch even references "Don Juan" by name during "Miles Away" ("....Don Juan goes up in a cloud of smoke; and all those Hari Krishnas turned out to be a joke....")

Hey, even weirder things happen around here at times. :thumbsup:

A further reference to Carlos Casteneda. There is a very large Carlos Casteneda recovery group out there due to the fact that he got his doctorate on the basis of his anthropological studies of Don Juan and his band of Indian mystics. He went on to "write several best sellers on the basis of this mystical connection.
It was later revealed that he and his communal brothers and sisters just made up the **** to an eager receptive audience. "The comedy group "Firesign Theater" did a tremendous parody of the hucksters a long time ago. I must admit to one of those who scarfed up several volumes of the stuff. It slowly became harder and harder to believe as they tried to keep their story straight. To this day the University that granted his doctorate has had to grapple with their role in validating Carlos's cashcow.

doodyhead

doodyhead

nicepace 12-10-2009 09:58 AM

One of the famous FM stories is the one that says that Stevie, when invited to join the band, listened to all the previous albums, and found an element of mysticism that existed throughout the band's history, no matter who the personnel were.

She jumped right in and continued that element of mysticism.

So, I can see the connection between the mystical Bob and the mystical Stevie. But I think Stevie's mysticism is emotionally based, whereas his is more cerebral. (To use a word I used earlier in this thread.)

If you can "trick" a Stevie fan into listening to 'Mystery to Me' by assuring the fan there is something Stevie-like about the record, then that's good. You'd be bringing a musical delight into somebody's life. Who knows, their eyes might open and they might even realize there is more to Fleetwood Mac than Ms. Nicks!

Wouter Vuijk 12-10-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 859257)
One of the famous FM stories is the one that says that Stevie, when invited to join the band, listened to all the previous albums, and found an element of mysticism that existed throughout the band's history, no matter who the personnel were.

No matter who the personnel was: How about the very first line-up, Peter, Mick, Jeremy and Bob (Brunning). I can't sense any mysticism in their studio recordings as well as the in the Marquee live recording.
OMG, WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME???????:laugh: