The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Go Insane Era (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56806)

Fleetwood Jack 01-23-2017 03:35 PM

Go Insane Era

So I have a somewhat technical question. You know how "Holiday Road" is a solo song but it's not on any of his solo albums? I'm making a mixtape for just different songs from the "Go Insane" and "Law and Order" eras and I was wondering, what era would you put "Holiday Road" under?

I personally think it's more like a Go Insane type era song, but I could also see it being considered part of the "Law and Order" era since the single's (at least on my German import) B-Side is "Mary Lee Jones".

Please help!

FuzzyPlum 01-23-2017 04:20 PM

You know, I think both Holiday Road and Dancin Across the USA have that 50's vibe that is more prevalent on Law and Order. For me it fits more on the earlier album. Time wise it probably fits more with Go Insane though doesn't it?

Macfan4life 01-23-2017 05:17 PM

Its post Law and Order and pre-Go Insane ;)
It does not fit in any box. When Vacation was being filmed in 1982, Fleetwood Mac had a #1 album and the movie studio wanted Fleetwood Mac to do the movie's song. The offer was made just after the Mirage tour and the Mac was not getting back together for anything let along a movie song. Lindsey did the song instead. I think the song is a bit corny but fit the movie perfectly. It never even cracked the top 40 but is probably Lindsey's most profitable song since its used in so many commercials.

Fleetwood Jack 01-23-2017 07:00 PM

So it's a part of the Mirage era!?! This is sooo confusing!

I'm just playing. Yeah I thought that sort of 50's, get up in the middle of my room and start snapping my fingers to the beat, type sound was more like "Law and Order", and less depressing and bleak than "Go Insane". Although I do really, really, really like "Go Insane".

And yes I would agree that it is probably the most profitable song of his solo career. I think I read somewhere that even the live version from "Live At The Bass Performance Hall" got used in some phone commercial over in the U.K.

ryan4136 01-24-2017 11:05 AM

It's more a Mirage style contribution from LB

jbrownsjr 01-24-2017 01:34 PM

Law and Order!

nodmod 01-24-2017 03:32 PM

Now Time Bomb Town from the Back To The Future soundtrack is more Go Insane to me

Fleetwood Jack 01-24-2017 07:48 PM

Oh yeah, "Time Bomb Town" is definitely "Go Insane" era; besides the lyrics not fitting the tone of the album I always thought it would have been a nice contribution to "Go Insane".

jbrownsjr 01-25-2017 11:30 AM

I respectfully think Time Bomb Town should go on Law and Order. Having said that, it could go on either one IMO..

It's got that quirky stuff for either album.

Fleetwood Jack 01-25-2017 03:32 PM

Yeah, I think you're right; lyrically "Time Bomb Town" would have fit on "Law and Order", and somewhat sound-wise. That's a great observation, I've never thought of that.

Crap, now I wish "Law and Order" had "Time Bomb Town" on it.

Stormwind 02-05-2017 07:47 PM

Holiday Road could have been a big hit for him. But the video clip totally killed the chance. It was so weird... well, never mind, it's Lindsey we're talking about.

:laugh::laugh:

michelej1 02-05-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormwind (Post 1201155)
Holiday Road could have been a big hit for him. But the video clip totally killed the chance. It was so weird... well, never mind, it's Lindsey we're talking about.

I don't really know what kind of video would have sold the song more. Given the woof, woof, woof content of the song, I am relieved that the video was conceptual and substantive (and thematically keeping with his other videos) and not something cheesy with Lindsey dancing with Chevy Chase or heaven even knows what.

I'm kind of glad that I can listen to Bel Air rain and actually see it as a sequel to the message of the Holiday Road video. Yes, at one point he thought of breaking out and escaping from the uniform, but this is how he ended up. I can't complain, standing in the Bel Air rain.

Michele

dreamsunwind 02-05-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormwind (Post 1201155)

Holiday Road is kind of an iconic song now though. Or at least it seems like it is to me.

michelej1 02-05-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1201169)
Holiday Road is kind of an iconic song now though. Or at least it seems like it is to me.

Indeed, I have a holiday Hallmark ornament that plays Holiday Road, how many songs can you say that about??

Michele

WayOfTheDragon 02-06-2017 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack (Post 1200584)
Yeah, I think you're right; lyrically "Time Bomb Town" would have fit on "Law and Order", and somewhat sound-wise. That's a great observation, I've never thought of that.

Crap, now I wish "Law and Order" had "Time Bomb Town" on it.

Time Bomb Town was the first Lindsey song I ever really knew, because I had a tape of the Back To The Future soundtrack, for a long time before I ever became a Fleetwood Mac fan. At the time, I didn't even know he was from Fleetwood Mac. I'd never heard of Lindsey Buckingham and just assumed (based on that song) that he was some kind of semi-obscure new wave guy.