The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 Movie Reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57991)

Jondalar 06-24-2018 12:08 AM

2018 Movie Reviews
 
Iíve seen a bunch of new movies this year. I go to the theater as much as I can. Since the first half of the year is almost over, Ive decided to post my reviews. So far, there havenít been really any movies I feel are truely terrible. Itís been a pretty good year so far. My favorite movie is Avengers Infinity War. Saw it 3 times. Also think Incredibles 2 is great.

1. Avengers Infinity War, grade A+ = great movie
2. Incredibles 2, grade A = not as good as the first but still excellent
3. A Quiet Place, grade B+ = smart, innovative
4. Hereditary, grade B = could not predict this movie, appreciated the acting and atmosphere
5. Upgrade, grade A- = very good low budget sci-fi, think Terminator meets Venom
6. Adrift, grade C+ = more love story than action movie, well acted but kinda boring
7. Black Panther, grade B- good leading man, not enough action and weak superhero but I liked entourage
8. Ready Player One, grade B- = think back to the future in a cartoon, there was enough to like but not enough to love
9. Deadpool 2, grade B- = funny, liked new team especially Domino, but didnít love this
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story, grade C+ = this movie was just kinda there, two great action sequences and thatís that
11. The Florida Project, grade B = touching, sad
12. Rampage, grade C+ = fun, popcorn movie
13. Jurassic World, grade C+ = great special effects but turned into a weird haunted house movie
14. Thoroughbreds, grade C+ = well acted but a bit boring

Jondalar 07-04-2018 09:19 PM

15. The First Purge, grade C = better than I thought it would be, actually some scary moments, but it’s really just slasher movie, not terrible at all

Jondalar 07-07-2018 06:55 PM

16. Ant Man and The Wasp, grade B-, this feels more like an episode of a tv series than it does a sequal, it’s funny, nice, but very forgettable, a lot of people in the audience seemed to really love it, but it’s just a cute little movie. It’s ok.

Jondalar 07-14-2018 08:13 PM

17. Skyscraper, grade C+ =totally unrealistic, but fun, the Rock is starting to look old, it was good to see Neuve Campbell in a hit again. She is a good actress.

Jondalar 07-15-2018 12:10 AM

18. Whitney (Whitney Houston documentary) grade B+ = I feel like I learned about her like the fact that she was molested by a female when she was a kid, and she probably had a sexual relationship with her best friend Robyn. She was also a horrible mother but didnít know it. She did a lot of drugs with her brothers and her and brothers were shuffled around a lot growing up. She was also bullied. She had her demons and it did lead to drug abuse. Her daughters death was a tragedy.

Jondalar 07-26-2018 10:16 AM

19. Unfriended: Dark Web, grade C- = Not as good as the first, not really scary, but not that terrible. It was decent.

FuzzyPlum 07-26-2018 03:04 PM

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again B+ = A good effort. Some great music and some truly moving moments. Not as good as the first film just because too much of the best music was mined for the first film. Some good creative movie making blending present day with back story. Also, Cher's face is too 'plastic' and off-putting unfortunately. Overall very nice though.

Jondalar 07-28-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1233107)
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again B+ = A good effort. Some great music and some truly moving moments. Not as good as the first film just because too much of the best music was mined for the first film. Some good creative movie making blending present day with back story. Also, Cher's face is too 'plastic' and off-putting unfortunately. Overall very nice though.

I never saw this movie because I heard it never had a plot.

Jondalar 07-29-2018 05:55 PM

20. Mission Impossible: Fallout, grade A = this movie is excellent, itís the 2nd best movie Iíve seen this summer, right behind Avengers Infinity War.

Feather Blade 07-30-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1231617)
I’ve seen a bunch of new movies this year. I go to the theater as much as I can. Since the first half of the year is almost over, Ive decided to post my reviews. So far, there haven’t been really any movies I feel are truely terrible. It’s been a pretty good year so far. My favorite movie is Avengers Infinity War. Saw it 3 times. Also think Incredibles 2 is great.

1. Avengers Infinity War, grade A+ = great movie
2. Incredibles 2, grade A = not as good as the first but still excellent
3. A Quiet Place, grade B+ = smart, innovative
4. Hereditary, grade B = could not predict this movie, appreciated the acting and atmosphere
5. Upgrade, grade A- = very good low budget sci-fi, think Terminator meets Venom
6. Adrift, grade C+ = more love story than action movie, well acted but kinda boring
7. Black Panther, grade B- good leading man, not enough action and weak superhero but I liked entourage
8. Ready Player One, grade B- = think back to the future in a cartoon, there was enough to like but not enough to love
9. Deadpool 2, grade B- = funny, liked new team especially Domino, but didn’t love this
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story, grade C+ = this movie was just kinda there, two great action sequences and that’s that
11. The Florida Project, grade B = touching, sad
12. Rampage, grade C+ = fun, popcorn movie
13. Jurassic World, grade C+ = great special effects but turned into a weird haunted house movie
14. Thoroughbreds, grade C+ = well acted but a bit boring

I've been waffling on trying this one. Good to know it isn't terrible. Thank you for your insights. Wow! Movies are so expensive these days this represents quite an investment.

Jondalar 07-31-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1233201)
I've been waffling on trying this one. Good to know it isn't terrible. Thank you for your insights. Wow! Movies are so expensive these days this represents quite an investment.

Thank you.

Some people did not like that movie, but I certainly did. The movie is unpredictable and the plot unfolds in a mysterious way. Itís a movie you can watch several times and get something new out of it each time.

Jondalar 08-11-2018 05:08 PM

21. The Meg, grade C+ guilty pleasure = in the water, this movie works. There are some great action scenes and beautiful visuals. Out of the water, this movie sucks. The acting is horrible and the plot is blah. However, I love shark movies. This movie is a cross between Orca and Deep Blue Sea and if you like those movies, u will probably like this.

FuzzyPlum 08-16-2018 05:14 PM

The Festival: A=
Just got back from watching this film...haven't laughed so much in ages. If anyone is familiar with (and appreciates) The Inbetweeners they'll love this film. It's crude, rude and offensive. Went to see it with my step-son and it was a bit awkward initially. Overall though we both left the cinema p!ssing ourselves with laughter. I won't give anything away... but the bit with Noel Fielding as the superstar DJ will truly live long in my memory. My only criticism is that it felt a bit short- could have done with an extra 20 minutes.
Not sure this will get much of a release outside the UK but if it comes near you and you are okay with lewd juvenile humour you'll like this film.

Edit: PS- I felt it apt to mention there's even a very, very funny Crowded House reference.

Jondalar 08-17-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1234226)
The Festival: A=
Just got back from watching this film...haven't laughed so much in ages. If anyone is familiar with (and appreciates) The Inbetweeners they'll love this film. It's crude, rude and offensive. Went to see it with my step-son and it was a bit awkward initially. Overall though we both left the cinema p!ssing ourselves with laughter. I won't give anything away... but the bit with Noel Fielding as the superstar DJ will truly live long in my memory. My only criticism is that it felt a bit short- could have done with an extra 20 minutes.
Not sure this will get much of a release outside the UK but if it comes near you and you are okay with lewd juvenile humour you'll like this film.

Edit: PS- I felt it apt to mention there's even a very, very funny Crowded House reference.

Iíve never even heard of this film.

FuzzyPlum 08-17-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1234295)
Iíve never even heard of this film.


As I said, I don't know whether it will even get much of a release outside the UK. I don't know whether The Inbetweeners is a thing in the US. Its the same sort of crass English humour.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/xmedia-c...0005441-lg.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved