The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Songs they rehearsed for The Dance... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52106)

vivfox 05-26-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094075)
no we do not.

Oh yes we do.

SteveMacD 05-26-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094067)
Gotcha. Yeah, I think that updating Rhiannon though helped compensate for your point that it will never capture Stevie's 1975-1982 performance; it provided a new version of the song, speaking to 1997 Stevie. Not as hardcore, but emotional in a different way.

Not too much of an update over the White Winged Dove 1981 version, except it didn't have the solo, which it hadn't had since 1987. :shrug:

Ulpian 05-26-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094061)
One thing I'd like to stress is that the band really prepared and thought out their setlist for The Dance. It was a hugely important time, and they wanted to do something great for their reunion.

Are you an insider?

dreamer78 05-27-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1094073)
We all want that. But it ain't never gonna happen.

i totally felt and feel the same way

Phil 05-28-2013 07:47 PM

I've wanted a full band version of Big Love for many years. I would also be keen for Stevie to sing back-up vocals similar to those she provided on the 12" Extended Version.

Kubrick2788 05-28-2013 09:05 PM

A Sara from The Dance tour would've been interesting. As Long As You Follow also could have been a nice choice. I'm just not sure how they could've performed Little Lies without it coming across as cheesy. It's most definitely a product of its time. That's the only complaint I would ever have against Christine's songs...they don't age as well/are as adaptable as Lindsey or Stevie material.

johnnystorms 05-28-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 (Post 1094345)
A Sara from The Dance tour would've been interesting. As Long As You Follow also could have been a nice choice. I'm just not sure how they could've performed Little Lies without it coming across as cheesy. It's most definitely a product of its time. That's the only complaint I would ever have against Christine's songs...they don't age as well/are as adaptable as Lindsey or Stevie material.

i SLIGHTLY disagree with this. I think Christine's songs are fine for adaptation/updates. the PRODUCTION of many of her songs might not age quite as well. You Make Loving Fun, just SCREAMS 70's. but with some thought and re-working, I think they could have re-worked Little Lies nicely for The Dance.
I just think that the Tango era ended so bitterly, that they decided to relegate it to 2 songs.

johnnystorms 05-28-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1094330)
I've wanted a full band version of Big Love for many years. I would also be keen for Stevie to sing back-up vocals similar to those she provided on the 12" Extended Version.

ditto! i'd love a full band treatment of Big Love! maybe they could even talk her into doing the "love grunts" with Linds

bethelblues 05-28-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnystorms (Post 1094353)
i SLIGHTLY disagree with this. I think Christine's songs are fine for adaptation/updates. the PRODUCTION of many of her songs might not age quite as well. You Make Loving Fun, just SCREAMS 70's. but with some thought and re-working, I think they could have re-worked Little Lies nicely for The Dance.
I just think that the Tango era ended so bitterly, that they decided to relegate it to 2 songs.

I think You Make Loving Fun has aged extremely well. That shuffle groove gah... it's just so damn cool. Love it. Good point on Little Lies. They certainly could have reworked it and they certainly still can rework it. For this 1997 reunion the band did do this. They made Everywhere work and I think it sounded great! I can't say they've put the same thought and time into reworking any of their songs for subsequent tours, which is really too bad. Without the pressure of a live album and how that would be received, they have just gone through the motions in their rehearsals, so much so that Stevie missed quite a bit this time around promoting the IYD documentary.

johnnystorms 05-29-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094362)
I think You Make Loving Fun has aged extremely well. That shuffle groove gah... it's just so damn cool. Love it. Good point on Little Lies. They certainly could have reworked it and they certainly still can rework it. For this 1997 reunion the band did do this. They made Everywhere work and I think it sounded great! I can't say they've put the same thought and time into reworking any of their songs for subsequent tours, which is really too bad. Without the pressure of a live album and how that would be received, they have just gone through the motions in their rehearsals, so much so that Stevie missed quite a bit this time around promoting the IYD documentary.

yeah, but The Dance was their BIG re-introduction to the public via MTV. Stevie even said "How many bands in their 50's get played on MTV??" . So, they upped their game. The subsequent tours were put together by managers for $$$$$$$$$. I wish they had treated each one as thoughtfully as they did The Dance. I do think the SYW tour was good, (anything adding Beautiful Child works for me). But for some reason, Stevie was NOT happy on that tour.

bethelblues 05-29-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnystorms (Post 1094365)
yeah, but The Dance was their BIG re-introduction to the public via MTV. Stevie even said "How many bands in their 50's get played on MTV??" . So, they upped their game. The subsequent tours were put together by managers for $$$$$$$$$. I wish they had treated each one as thoughtfully as they did The Dance. I do think the SYW tour was good, (anything adding Beautiful Child works for me). But for some reason, Stevie was NOT happy on that tour.

Yes, exactly! Good point about MTV.

elle 05-29-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnystorms (Post 1094355)
ditto! i'd love a full band treatment of Big Love! maybe they could even talk her into doing the "love grunts" with Linds

as discussed in Lindsey forum, i finally now understand why you all are calling for full-band Big Love :laugh: :laugh:

chiliD 05-29-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094064)
I definitely understand your point on the banjo. I liked it, but I agree SYLM is a perfect pop song.

If you listen to the original studio version of the song, there's banjo all over it. It's just not as prominent in the mix as the guitars, but listen on headphone (or ear buds)...the banjo is carrying what would normally be what the rhythm guitar would be playing.

aleuzzi 05-29-2013 05:29 PM

I'd like to know more about songs that were rehearsed but never made it to the reunion tour setlist.

I read somewhere that Brown Eyes and Easy Come Easy Go were rehearsed in early stages and then dropped. What else I wonder?

michelej1 05-29-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094431)
as discussed in Lindsey forum, i finally now understand why you all are calling for full-band Big Love :laugh: :laugh:

If people wanted to hear her do love grunts, they'd only have to listen to Walter Egan's Tunnel o' Love.

She wouldn't on Big Love anyway. She'd probably have Margi make her a skirt that she could swish like she did in the video and stand there and do that.

Michele