The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56016)

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 08:20 AM

20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
By Annie Zaleski

When the Steve Miller Band was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum a few weeks ago, Miller took the opportunity in his induction speech to thank “all the women in my life for pointing me in the right direction” — and, several beats later, implored the Hall to be “more inclusive of women and to be more transparent in your dealings with the public, and most importantly, to do much more to revive music in our schools.”

A day before Miller’s speech, a widely shared article, “There Are Not Enough Women in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” went one step further and laid out all of the women not inducted. The piece also noted some even more sobering facts: “Apparently only 37 female performers and bands with women” fit the induction criteria of demonstrating “overall excellence,” while “zero of the executives, managers and producers inducted have been women. Only one woman, Carole King, has been inducted for her songwriting” … and she had to share that honor with her ex-husband and songwriting partner Gerry Goffin.

It’s insulting (if not downright sexist) that so few women have been deemed worthy of a Hall of Fame slot, especially considering the nominations draw from decades of popular music at this point.

And so Ultimate Classic Rock came up with a list of 20 should-be inductees who deserve to be in the Hall because they’ve contributed to the vibrant pantheon of rock ‘n’ roll and its offshoots — embodying the “broad umbrella” of influences, as the Rock Hall is fond of saying.

Stevie Nicks
Sure, Stevie Nicks is in the Rock Hall as a member of Fleetwood Mac. However, plenty of male band members — including Rod Stewart, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton and every member of the Beatles — are also in as solo artists. And Nicks' solo career, besides spawning classic duets (the Tom Petty-featuring "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around") and several empowering anthems ("Stand Back") is also commercially successful: In fact, Nicks has 10 Top 40 hits, just one less than Ringo Starr.

Read More: 20 Women Who Should Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/women...ckback=tsmclip

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 01:29 PM

Dont get me started with this.RRHOF is fixed .There's people that should not be in there since they are not rock artists and some dont deserve to get nominated and alot they should be in there along time ago..

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1182357)
Led Zeppelin for a start. Even if you aren't a big fan of their music you have to admit it.

What do you mean? Led Zeppelin have been inducted...haven't they?

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 02:15 PM

Oh you're right. They have in 1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees They haven't received Grammys I think?
I'm too forgetful of these things, maybe that's why I like reading about them. Yes, Iron Maiden, Journey, Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, King Crimson, Roxy Music, The Moddy Blues, The Cure, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra and Dire Straits are among the most lamented that have been overlooked.
However we all forgot that today is the 35th anniversary of Trouble In Shangri-La.

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:37 PM

No Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Kate Bush or Carole King. Thats really shocking.

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1182361)
Oh you're right. They have in 1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees They haven't received Grammys I think?
I'm too forgetful of these things, maybe that's why I like reading about them. Yes, Iron Maiden, Journey, Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, King Crimson, Roxy Music, The Moddy Blues, The Cure, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra and Dire Straits are among the most lamented that have been overlooked.
However we all forgot that today is the 35th anniversary of Trouble In Shangri-La.

It's so subjective, but out of those the first I'd look to would be Bon Jovi and Roxy Music.

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182363)
No Patsy Cline, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Kate Bush or Carole King. Thats really shocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182364)
It's so subjective, but out of those the first I'd look to would be Bon Jovi and Roxy Music.

Yeah, and no Pat Benatar too.
I think overall the Progressive groups have a greater chance in being inducted earlier.

Macfan4life 05-01-2016 03:24 PM

Without a doubt Stevie Nicks should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. But its so corrupt. Isn't Madonna in it? Madonna does not write her own songs nor does she play rock. Why would Madonna be in the Rock N Roll hall of fame? She can get all the pop awards she wants or create a Pop Hall of Fame. I believe only rock stars should be in the hall.

SisterNightroad 05-01-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1182372)
Without a doubt Stevie Nicks should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. But its so corrupt. Isn't Madonna in it? Madonna does not write her own songs nor does she play rock. Why would Madonna be in the Rock N Roll hall of fame? She can get all the pop awards she wants or create a Pop Hall of Fame. I believe only rock stars should be in the hall.

That's true but in this era of musical miscellany how do you discern what is rock by what isn't?
By strict definition Prince shouldn't be in the Rock & Roll Hall of fame but I truly believe he is a rockstar and I wouldn't want him out. Ah ah, in that case he should be on a Funk Hall of fame or a R&B Hall of fame.

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 05:20 PM

I can see rock entertainers entering the Country Music Hall A Fame quickly since the music gender thing is a bloody cluster effed mixed bag now.

Macfanforever 05-01-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

I agree with that statement.

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-02-2016 06:50 PM

Blah. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. They are nothing more than a vomit stain in my opinion. Sorry to be graphic. :p

twinmatrix 05-03-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Madonna writes a lot of her own music and is extremely talented and worthy of being there. But isn't Miley Cyrus also in it? Someone like THAT shouldn't be there.

JohnL 05-03-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmatrix (Post 1182477)
Madonna writes a lot of her own music and is extremely talented and worthy of being there. But isn't Miley Cyrus also in it? Someone like THAT shouldn't be there.

No...Miley Cyrus is not in it. You have to have 25 years between now and when you released your first record.

ahafan02 05-04-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmatrix (Post 1182477)

AMEN I'm so sick of people claiming she doesn't write songs...ask any of her co-writers and producers. Madonna deserves to be there. Period. End of discussion.

Macfan4life 05-04-2016 06:57 PM

No, Madonna is not worthy of the ROCK N ROLL hall of fame.
Can you believe rock ladies Pat Benatar and Stevie Nicks are not in the hall but Madonna is. That is outrageous and insulting. Rock legends YES is not included either. Crazy!
I am not knocking her pop/dance music. Madonna has worked with some of the best producers in the bizz. Most of her biggest hits were not written by her lyrically and she added nothing musically. How can rock legends like Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie not be included. If Madonna is accepted then Cyndi Lauper should be included too. I think substance matters though. I think there should be a pop hall of fame and that would solve this issue. If you look at the recipients during the first several years ONLY rock stars were accepted. Sadly rock is dead and they started accepting MTV created pop stars. Its apples and oranges IMHO.
Or don't call it the rock n roll hall of fame. Call it the music hall of fame. Then I don't have a problem with Madonna. I guess I am old school rock n roll hall of fame.

Macfanforever 05-04-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnL (Post 1182479)
No...Miley Cyrus is not in it. You have to have 25 years between now and when you released your first record.

She will be probably forgotten by then. .

Macfanforever 05-04-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ (Post 1182438)
Blah. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. They are nothing more than a vomit stain in my opinion. Sorry to be graphic. :p

Ditto here.No apology needed.

Macfanforever 05-04-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1182600)
No, Madonna is not worthy of the ROCK N ROLL hall of fame.
Can you believe rock ladies Pat Benatar and Stevie Nicks are not in the hall but Madonna is. That is outrageous and insulting. Rock legends YES is not included either. Crazy!
I am not knocking her pop/dance music. Madonna has worked with some of the best producers in the bizz. Most of her biggest hits were not written by her lyrically and she added nothing musically. How can rock legends like Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie not be included. If Madonna is accepted then Cyndi Lauper should be included too. I think substance matters though. I think there should be a pop hall of fame and that would solve this issue. If you look at the recipients during the first several years ONLY rock stars were accepted. Sadly rock is dead and they started accepting MTV created pop stars. Its apples and oranges IMHO.
Or don't call it the rock n roll hall of fame. Call it the music hall of fame. Then I don't have a problem with Madonna. I guess I am old school rock n roll hall of fame.

I agree.ROCK artists and bands only.Stevie is left out in the cold with others that should be installed or inducted a long time ago.Madonna,Cyndi are fine and they should be in some hall a fame.Somebody should come up with a pop artist hall a fame.

Now I can see Taylor Swift working up her time to get in there.

Macfan4life 05-05-2016 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1182612)
I agree.ROCK artists and bands only.Stevie is left out in the cold with others that should be installed or inducted a long time ago.Madonna,Cyndi are fine and they should be in some hall a fame.Somebody should come up with a pop artist hall a fame.

I guess I am old school. There once was a HUGE difference between rock n roll and pop. Other times its a fine line. It can be challenging. But in my head I see rock n roll groups writing their own songs, taking a year to make an album, playing ever instrument, no voice alterations on singing, all this with no videos before MTV. Many pop artists on the other hand are package materials. Many times a performer is brought a song to sing. Its marketed to teens and put on the top 40 rotation.
There are times rock performers like Stevie do pop songs. She has done many like Talk To Me and Everyday, etc. Long story short is there really any comparison between Madonna and Stevie Nicks? Madonna does have talent but her career was excelled by controversy and many times faked controversy. Madonna is a genius the way she markets herself and she is the biggest pop star in the world. But Stevie and Christine don't need to burn crosses or sing about their virginity to get hit songs.

Macfanforever 05-05-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1182624)
I guess I am old school. There once was a HUGE difference between rock n roll and pop. Other times its a fine line. It can be challenging. But in my head I see rock n roll groups writing their own songs, taking a year to make an album, playing ever instrument, no voice alterations on singing, all this with no videos before MTV. Many pop artists on the other hand are package materials. Many times a performer is brought a song to sing. Its marketed to teens and put on the top 40 rotation.
There are times rock performers like Stevie do pop songs. She has done many like Talk To Me and Everyday, etc. Long story short is there really any comparison between Madonna and Stevie Nicks? Madonna does have talent but her career was excelled by controversy and many times faked controversy. Madonna is a genius the way she markets herself and she is the biggest pop star in the world. But Stevie and Christine don't need to burn crosses or sing about their virginity to get hit songs.

Yes .I'm all old school with music.Now its a big mixed up bag of everything.
The problem with Madonna is she got overexposed with the media like other artists and bands.I lost interest of Madonna probably by her second or third album. Also her crotch feeling in her vids turned me off too. Stevie and the Mac and some others kept their heads low from the overexposed dept.The problem with Stevie and the Mac is they never tried any thing different music then what they do play or the radio jocks and station program directors and music directors simply overlooked some of their country flavored tunes like Stevie's "After The Glitter Fades" and FM 's "Thats Alright" just name a couple .I was lucky here to have these tunes including L@L played on the local country station as I requested them during the request hour .Also it helped that I known the DJ there also he was a fan of Stevie's and the Mac..

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-05-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1182659)
Yes .I'm all old school with music.Now its a big mixed up bag of everything.
The problem with Madonna is she got overexposed with the media like other artists and bands.I lost interest of Madonna probably by her second or third album. Also her crotch feeling in her vids turned me off too. Stevie and the Mac and some others kept their heads low from the overexposed dept.The problem with Stevie and the Mac is they never tried any thing different music then what they do play or the radio jocks and station program directors and music directors simply overlooked some of their country flavored tunes like Stevie's "After The Glitter Fades" and FM 's "Thats Alright" just name a couple .I was lucky here to have these tunes including L@L played on the local country station as I requested them during the request hour .Also it helped that I known the DJ there also he was a fan of Stevie's and the Mac..

I agree with you. :nod:

He's So Unusual 05-09-2016 05:34 PM

They haven't inducted Carole King? Wow! I thought she'd been in it for years. What a disgrace that Madonna's in it but Carole isn't, she was writing hit songs when Madonna was a toddler.

MikeInNV 01-07-2017 06:05 PM

This article supporting Stevie's induction is so up to date it even incudes the 24KG tour.

http://inspirer.life/home/2017/01/ro...-stevie-nicks/

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- Induct These Women: Stevie Nicks

As mentioned previously, half of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s current roster of female inductees were inducted as members of female inclusive bands. It can easily be argued that several of those women deserve to be honored as solo artists, and Stevie Nicks is undeniably one of those women. The fact that she’s been dubbed time and time again as “The Queen of Rock and Roll” should be reason enough to have her honored individually, but although she was inducted in 1998 with super group Fleetwood Mac (a band whose only number one U.S. single was penned by Nicks), she has yet to be recognized as a solo artist, despite having an extensive and wildly successful solo career spanning over 30 years.

1981 saw Nicks’s solo debut with the release of “Bella Donna,” which topped the Billboard charts and reached platinum status in just three months. The album went on to reach quadruple platinum status. On the heels of that success, Nicks was anxious to prove it was no fluke. Her sophomore solo album, 1983’s “Wild Heart,” went double platinum and reached number five on the Billboard charts. Two years later, in late 1985, Nicks’s third solo studio album, “Rock a Little,” was released and climbed to the top 20 in its first two weeks, peaking at number 12, and eventually going platinum in its first month. Her last album of the ‘80s, *“The Other Side of the Mirror,” released in 1989, also went on to gain platinum status after peaking at number 10 on the charts. In one decade, Stevie Nicks released four charting albums, toured those four charting albums, and had 13 singles make the top 40 on the rock charts, in addition to releasing and touring two albums with Fleetwood Mac.

In the ‘90s, Nicks released two compilation albums — “Timespace: The Best of Stevie Nicks,” which went platinum, and “Enchanted,” as well as her only studio album of the decade, “Street Angel.” In 2001, she returned to the top 10, with “Trouble in Shangri-La” peaking at number five. The tour to follow her 6th studio release was one of the highest grossing tours of the year. It would take Nicks another decade to revisit the making of a solo record, but she never stopped making music. Nicks still went on to tour both solo and as a member of Fleetwood Mac through the first 10 years of the millennium, leaving her no time to slip into rock and roll obscurity.

In 2011, 30 years after the release of “Bella Donna,” “In Your Dreams” debuted at number 6 on the Billboard 200, and included a companion behind the scenes documentary of the same title. In 2013 “American Horror Story: Coven” introduced Stevie Nicks and her music to a new generation of rock and roll fans, with six episodes featuring her music, and two of those episodes featuring Stevie Nicks herself. Most recently, Nicks embarked on her much anticipated 24 Karat Gold Tour — a belated tour for her 2014 double album “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” which charted at number 7 and number 3 respectively on the U.S. and U.S. Rock charts. So far the tour has visited 27 cities, many of which were sold out shows, with at least one date breaking a record for fastest sell-out in the venue’s history. This is Nicks’s 17th tour appearing as a solo artist.

You’ll find on the official Rock & Roll Hall of Fame site that to qualify, in addition to having had a career spanning at least 25 years, an artist being considered for induction must also have had a significant impact on the development, evolution, and preservation of rock & roll. Even without considering the fact that Stevie Nicks has acted as a mentor for younger songwriters in the industry, been mentioned as a significant influence by countless other artists, and shown up to support the future of music in so many ways, her qualifications can’t be denied. Show up to any number of her shows, and you’ll find fans young and old alike, draped in shawls, wearing top hats and platform boots, singing along to every word of “Edge of Seventeen.” *Stevie Nicks’s influence, much like the songstress herself, is anything but subtle, and after 36 years of prolific and significant contributions to rock & roll as a solo artist, it’s time for this chanteuse to have her own place in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Macfanforever 01-07-2017 07:00 PM

WAY OVERDUE.Some of them in there should not be in there since that are NOT rock artists.

BlueDenimLamp 01-07-2017 07:39 PM

Phil 01-10-2017 06:22 AM

Oh God no... as if she wasn't already sufficiently arrogant, imagine what this 'honour' would result in...

JohnL 01-10-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1199187)
Oh God no... as if she wasn't already sufficiently arrogant, imagine what this 'honour' would result in...

Like 99.9% of those in the HOF aren't arrogant? And I don't really think she is any more arrogant than any other rock star out there. She has worked for this for over 40 years of her life and it is much deserved in my opinion at this point.

ahafan02 01-10-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1182612)

From the start The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame was meant to be all inclusive. If you don't like it then crawl back under your rock and STOP DISSING other people. You are a one note joke!

dreamsunwind 01-10-2017 06:02 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, I love Stevie obviously but I've never really understood why some people are so insistent that she be inducted as a solo artist. She's already in as Fleetwood Mac and I think that was the biggest part of her career music wise (not to say that her solo career wasn't popular). And part of what's interesting about Stevie (and I mean this in a good way) is that her witchy twirly image plays a big hand in her popularity and that is sort of separate from the music aspect of things. If she was like Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton then I would understand why people think she deserves to be inducted as a solo artist. Of course she had lots of hits but I think her in there with FM is perfectly fine and I don't think she's being undervalued or robbed of anything to not be inducted as a solo artist.

24karatstevie 01-12-2017 04:42 PM

See I think Stevie does deserve to be inducted as a solo artist. While Fleetwood Mac certainly made her a star, it's her solo career that proved her worth. Having successful solo albums and hits showed that she didn't necessarily need Fleetwood Mac to be a star. More importantly, I believe the success of Stevie's solo career proves that a woman can be successful in rock. Stevie emerged in a time where rock was considered a man's genre. Many people doubted her during the making of Bella Donna but it's sucess shows that Stevie is so much more than just a girl draped in chiffon twirling on stage. She has true songwriting talent and a voice that is instantly recognizable. Also, she's be able to remain relevant even today and has inspired generations of new music fans. This all contributes to her iconic status that certainly proves her to be a successful and inspiring person in rock and roll history.

24karatstevie 01-12-2017 04:46 PM

Plus how could the "Queen of Rock" (as dubbed by Rolling Stone Magazine) not be in the HOF as an individual entity? :nod:

SisterNightroad 08-04-2018 08:54 AM

Hot 100 Turns 60! The Top 60 Female Artists of All-Time, From Madonna to Mariah Carey & More
Madonna, Mariah & Janet Jackson rank at Nos. 1, 2 & 3, respectively.

As we celebrate the Billboard Hot 100's 60th anniversary, Billboard looks at the top-performing solo female artists in the chart's history, dating to its Aug. 4, 1958, inception.

With 57 Hot 100 entries and 12 No. 1s, Madonna rules as the chart's all-time top female artist. The pop icon also lands seven songs in the Hot 100 all-time top 600 songs recap, led by her first No. 1, "Like a Virgin," which spent six weeks atop the Hot 100 beginning on Dec. 22, 1984. Madonna holds the record for the most Hot 100 top 10s among all acts: 38.

Mariah Carey ranks at No. 2, powered by her 18 Hot 100 No. 1s, the most among soloists, as well as the most cumulative weeks at No. 1 (79) among all acts.

Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston and Rihanna, the lattermost having landed 14 Hot 100 No. 1s (dating to her 2005 debut), the third-best sum in the chart's history, round out the top five.

Further in the top 10 are two other artists whose chart careers began in the 2000s: Taylor Swift (No. 8) and Katy Perry (No. 9).

Here's a look at the top-performing solo female artists over the Hot 100's first 60 years.

60. Juice Newton

59. Carole King

58. Stevie Nicks

57. Amy Grant

56. Missy Elliott

55. Faith Hill

54. Chaka Khan

53. Jody Watley

52. Avril Lavigne

51. Pat Benatar

50. Anne Murray

49. Ashanti

48. Bette Midler

47. Aaliyah

46. Natalie Cole

45. Fergie

44. Petula Clark

43. Miley Cyrus

42. Brandy

41. Carly Simon

40. Sheena Easton

39. Debbie Gibson

38. Kesha

37. Tina Turner

36. Mary J. Blige

35. Taylor Dayne

34. Roberta Flack

33. Nicki Minaj

32. Cyndi Lauper

31. Helen Reddy

31. Monica

30. Christina Aguilera

29. Jennifer Lopez

28. Adele

27. Toni Braxton

26. Britney Spears

25. Celine Dion

24. Linda Ronstadt

23. Kelly Clarkson

22. Alicia Keys

21. Paula Abdul

20. Dionne Warwick

19. Lady Gaga

18. Gloria Estefan

17. P!nk

16. Cher

15. Barbra Streisand

14. Brenda Lee

13. Beyoncé

12. Connie Francis

11. Donna Summer

10. Diana Ross

9. Katy Perry

8. Taylor Swift

7. Aretha Franklin

6. Olivia Newton-John

5. Rihanna

4. Whitney Houston

3. Janet Jackson

2. Mariah Carey

1. Madonna

The Top 60 Female Artists of All-Time on the Billboard Hot 100 ranking is based on weekly performance on the Hot 100 from its Aug. 4, 1958, inception through July 21, 2018. All songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with cumulative weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower spots earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are then ranked based on a formula blending performance, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 chart entries.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-janet-jackson

Pyewacket 08-04-2018 01:33 PM

^Interesting, thanks for that. Surprised that Joan Jett is not in the top 60 (and I wonder if this is because she was part of a band, "Joan Jett and the Blackhearts"). I'm also surprised to see Debbie Gibson so high on the list, as she had two big albums, a third not-so-big one and then disappeared fairly quickly thereafter. (Side note: where is Tiffany? I thought her sales mirrored Debbie's almost exactly and at the same time.)

The lesson gleaned overall is that Pop (whether it's straight pop, pop/R&B, dance-pop or what have you) SELLS. In the top 20, the closest we get to a rock artist is #16 Cher (whose biggest hits were dance), #17 P!nk (somewhat the same) and #19 Lady Gaga (definitely the same). Artists who really resided in the genre of rock are few and farther down the list.

TheWildHeart67 08-07-2018 12:20 AM

Stevie is also one of the ONLY artists to be in a huge, superstar band and concurrently have a huge solo career without leaving her original band. Who else has done that?

TheWildHeart67 08-07-2018 07:37 AM

One thing to consider is that the list doesn't include charting on Rock Radio, which Stevie ranks high, including several #1 songs. Another interesting thing is many of these artists high on the list, aren't ranked as high on Album sales. Olivia . This list is pretty interesting. Olivia Newton-John ranks #6! Pretty impressive. She certainly had a long 10 year run on top 40 radio, and to still rank this high after all these years is amazing! Her last top 20 hit was "Soul Kiss," in 1985.

The lesson gleaned overall is that Pop (whether it's straight pop, pop/R&B, dance-pop or what have you) SELLS. In the top 20, the closest we get to a rock artist is #16 Cher (whose biggest hits were dance), #17 P!nk (somewhat the same) and #19 Lady Gaga (definitely the same). Artists who really resided in the genre of rock are few and farther down the list.

TheWildHeart67 08-07-2018 07:39 AM

One thing to consider is that the list doesn't include charting on Rock Radio, which Stevie ranks high, including several #1 songs. Another interesting thing is many of these artists high on the list, aren't ranked as high on Album sales. This list is pretty interesting. Olivia Newton-John ranks #6! Pretty impressive. She certainly had a long 10 year run on top 40 radio, and to still rank this high after all these years is amazing! Her last top 20 hit was "Soul Kiss," in 1985.

Tango 08-07-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 (Post 1233591)
Stevie is also one of the ONLY artists to be in a huge, superstar band and concurrently have a huge solo career without leaving her original band. Who else has done that?

Beyoncé / Destiny's Child
Gwen Stefani / No Doubt
Neil Young / CSNY
Phil Collins / Genesis
Don Henley / The Eagles
Tom Petty / The Heartbreakers

TheWildHeart67 08-09-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Beyoncé / Destiny's Child
Gwen Stefani / No Doubt
Neil Young / CSNY
Phil Collins / Genesis
Don Henley / The Eagles
Tom Petty / The Heartbreakers
Don Henley did his solo career while the Eagles were broken up.
Destiny's Child broke up after Beyonce launched her solo career.

SisterNightroad 08-09-2018 10:11 AM

Also in Tom Petty's case his 3 solo albums were nominally under his name but truthfully it featured the Heartbreakers as a backup band minus Stan Lynch that left the band.
I'm not sure if even CSN&Y qualify, but No Doubt disbanded sometimes after Gwen Stefani's success with her solo career (if I remember well they've gotten back together a few years ago?).
However I don't know if it's the only one but surely Stevie is one of the few who somehow managed to juggle between her solo and band careers with alternate fortune.