The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New studio EP as a compromise - thoughts? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57435)

secret love 08-19-2017 06:00 PM

New studio EP as a compromise - thoughts?

No, Fleetwood Mac are not releasing another EP at this stage. But should they? Stevie could contribute Space Needle or Julia or another vault song if she can't be bothered to write something new.

And Lindsey has some songs in the can, slated for a solo release, but he could give two of them to Fleetwood Mac.

I'd see it like this:

1. Lindsey new song
2. Christine new song
3. Stevie new song/vault song
4. Lindsey new song

Could be a happy compromise with Stevie to give the fans new music without having to spend a year in the studio with her supposed bestie and ex-boyfriend.

Thoughts?

Just for fun:

HomerMcvie 08-19-2017 06:50 PM

No offense, but with 3 writers, I think an EP is a dumb idea.

Macfan4life 08-19-2017 07:04 PM

If Stevie says she wont do a new album with the Mac, why would she suddenly agree to an EP? She does not like studio time with Lindsey and says music does not sell. Not sure she would want to be a part of this.
Personally I would not want to see it either. What a shame the last effort by the group to be an EP.

aleuzzi 08-19-2017 08:34 PM

I'd prefer another LB/CM album.

Or a FULL FM album. No reason these three songwriters should half ass it at this point.

HomerMcvie 08-20-2017 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1215754)
I'd prefer another LB/CM album.

Or a FULL FM album. No reason these three songwriters should half ass it at this point.

Same here.

Actually, there's one reason. 20%.

seanthompson 08-20-2017 03:54 AM

Their Legacy demands a final double album. I will take anything. It's such a crucial time now, here at the end of the band, to go out on a high note with dignity. So confused why it's not happening.

sue 08-20-2017 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanthompson (Post 1215757)
Their Legacy demands a final double album. I will take anything. It's such a crucial time now, here at the end of the band, to go out on a high note with dignity. So confused why it's not happening.

In the land of never, never...
Legacy ..is a great title for their last Mac5 album.

Lola 08-20-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanthompson (Post 1215757)

I demand a final double album, ha, ha. I don't know about an EP. Part of me feels like I'll take what I can get and part of me feels like why bother. Maybe if they linked the EP to the last one somehow. Barely anyone is aware of it. I still have a teaspoon of hope for a final something.

bwboy 08-20-2017 07:40 AM

I think most FM fans would love one more album, but Stevie clearly doesn't want to record with Lindsay anymore, so it won't happen. Even though that thought disappoints me, in a way I'm ok with it, too. I pretty much hated the new songs the band performed for the Dance album- Temporary One and Sweet Girl were bad, although My Little Demon and Bleed to Love Her were better, but still sounded like filler to me. Besides, if the FM 2018 tour is really their last one, I'd rather hear the songs they know we love vs forgettable new ones. While I'm sure there are some die-hard fans who would rather hear them perform Sweet Girl and Temporary One and Bleed to Love Her over Landslide and Little Lies and Go Your Own Way because they're sick of them, most of the concert attendees would revolt!

secret love 08-20-2017 08:23 AM

If they do a standard 10-12 song album, Stevie's contribution could be the three songs I included in my post or similar - but Space Needle, Julia and Castaway are all strong songs...Space Needle could be shorter and tighter but is still strong.

So why isn't this happening? Would Ms Nicks really rather release Songs from the Vault 2 and extend the 24 Karat Gold Tour into 2019 after touring with the Mac? If so, that is a sad state of affairs. Most casual fans are not familiar with Space Needle and other old demos. They would consider it new music. And other more diehard fans might even be happy to have perfected, finished versions of their favourite unreleased tracks.

Stevie carried on after Say You Will about not wanting to tour or record another album unless Christine came back. Maybe she said this because she thought it would never happen so she was effectively saying in her mind that there will NEVER be a new Fleetwood Mac album on her say so. Yes?

The charade has gone on far too long. Red Sun by Fleetwood Mac is the final swansong album by this band. The red sun has kissed the sea. It has set. Their recording career is over.

Mr Scarrott 08-20-2017 08:36 AM

With the return of Christine, the 50th anniversary, and the inevitable end of the band before too long, I would take anything, anything as a final recorded statement by the band. I'm prepared to take Stevie's assertions that she doesn't write that much these days at face value. So I'm prepared to set my own bar of what could happen fairly low and have accepted that a full album is 95% unlikely to happen.

It would be a bit of a fag-end to a recording oeuvre but a five or six song EP would be fine by me, even if it had just one or two new songs from each of Christine and Lindsey, a couple of re-worked Buckingam McVie tracks with some added layered Stevie vocals (Carnival Begin, On with the show, Love is here to stay or Red Sun would work well) to fill it out, and a new recording of one of Stevie's songs that had never made it to an album, maybe Joan of Arc. Others more familiar with her demos might be able to suggest a better alternative.

It's just so sad that we've come to this point in this way. Ultimately we don't own these people and each have their own plough to furrow so directing any anger at one particular individual is not going to achieve much besides venting personal disappointment.

secret love 08-20-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola (Post 1215763)
I demand a final double album, ha, ha. I don't know about an EP. Part of me feels like I'll take what I can get and part of me feels like why bother. Maybe if they linked the EP to the last one somehow. Barely anyone is aware of it. I still have a teaspoon of hope for a final something.

I want a TABLESPOON of something - double album!

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 11:42 AM

All a thread like this is going to do is start even MORE back and forth arguments about how bad a person Stevie is or isn't
Of course they aren't going to do an EP if she won't do an album.

Lola 08-20-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1215769)
I want a TABLESPOON of something - double album!

I asked Mick for a double album during a meet and greet. Double album will always be my #1. Always.
His response was diplomatic-he thanked me for wanting that amount of music then explained how difficult it is to get everyone to work on a project that big for that long.

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 11:54 AM

I just think we should be greatful all 5 fireflies are still alive and working still. solo. Buckvie. And as a final farewell tour of the 5 together.
Would a final album be great? YES! Of course. But we already know the odds of that happening.
An EP for sure is not even in the cards if an album isn't happening.
I just grow tired of the constant bickering of members of the board and people being called out on a regular basis for posting.
There is far more drama on the board than between the members of the band.
And I am certain somebody is gonna "call me out" for even posting this reply.

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

It would be a bit of a fag-end to a recording oeuvre
What does that even mean? A "FAG-END to a recording oeuvre??"

Mr Scarrott 08-20-2017 12:53 PM

From a British English perspective:

Fag End

1.1 The last part of something, especially when regarded as less important or interesting.
‘the fag end of the Indian cricket season’

see

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fag_end

Oeuvre can mean body of work, so I think what I intended to say is clear.

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

From a British English perspective:

Fag End

1.1 The last part of something, especially when regarded as less important or interesting.
‘the fag end of the Indian cricket season’

see

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fag_end

Oeuvre can mean body of work, so I think what I intended to say is clear.

HomerMcvie 08-20-2017 01:54 PM

I wish you Brits would learn to speak English.:lol:

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 01:56 PM

[QUOTEI wish you Brits would learn to speak English.[/QUOTE]

Homer, hahaha

Mr Scarrott 08-20-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1215781)
I wish you Brits would learn to speak English.:lol:

Oh, I think that's as likely as us letting Americans join a former blues-based British music combo...

HomerMcvie 08-20-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1215783)
Oh, I think that's as likely as us letting Americans join a former blues-based British music combo...

Easily the worst thing that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac. With the exception of Bob Welch.

TheWildHeart67 08-20-2017 02:38 PM

[QUOTEEasily the worst thing that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac. With the exception of Bob Welch.][/QUOTE]

I think Bob Welch deserves more credit than that.
"Sentimental Lady" is a beautiful song, especially the solo version with Christine featured on back-up vocals.
And "Ebony Eyes" is pure classic rock.

annabellee 08-20-2017 04:54 PM

I'd be happy with a parting single as long as it is the 5 fireflies. I won't expect more than a cash grab tour though.

HomerMcvie 08-20-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 (Post 1215787)
[QUOTEEasily the worst thing that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac. With the exception of Bob Welch.]

I think Bob Welch deserves more credit than that.
"Sentimental Lady" is a beautiful song, especially the solo version with Christine featured on back-up vocals.
And "Ebony Eyes" is pure classic rock.[/QUOTE]

I love Bob Welch!

StreetAngel95 08-20-2017 07:07 PM

Apologies in advance if this gets rambly or whatever, bUT:

I was at the Classic a few weeks ago, and one of my favorite music critics Bob Lefsetz wrote an awesome review of the performance. Presciently he writes:

Quote:

the thing about Fleetwood Mac is…

THEY’RE ALL HERE!

Doobie brothers are dead.

Walter Becker was too sick to show up.

Glenn Frey died.

Only three of twelve members of Earth, Wind & Fire are originals.

Steve Perry is absent.

But it’s the originals, the same people standing in Fleetwood Mac, and that’s positively AMAZING!

It’s not gonna go on forever folks. Our heroes are dropping like flies. And who knows when Lindsey will take a left turn. And Stevie doesn’t really need the rest, but on this night…

Mick is pounding, John is pulling, Lindsey’s wailing, Christine is tickling and…

Stevie is SINGING!

And twirling.

Rock on ancient queen indeed!

It’s when you’re at one with the music, when you can think of nothing else, when you’re thrusting your arm in the air that you know the performance is working, that the moment is transcendent, that you’re living in the rock and roll flow.
Frey's passing last year made me realize that my time with my favorite music was approaching its end. At the Classic I couldn't help but break down. There I was, surrounded by tens of thousands of people, singing along to the songs that have defined generations.

If I'm being honest, I don't think we can expect new music. Buckingham McVie is a gorgeous body of work, and if it ends there, I think that they as well as Stevie, would be content. No need to force something that isn't organic as Liddy would say. These are five human beings, seasoned musicians, with families and more of their lives behind them than ahead. Our fireflies have been through hell and back, and I swear there were times after SYW, and then after Unleashed tour that I thought that was the end. I can't help but be thankful that they've made it this far, still willing to let us experience this magnificent band.

There will never be anything again like Fleetwood Mac. They've more than earned their right to fade in whatever way they choose, with all of us supportive as ever, making sure their legacy lives on as the music lives on. One day I'll get to tell my children I was alive when Fleetwood Mac was making music and that alone is freaking awesome.

THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD ACTUALLY DIE IF THERE WAS A NEW ALBUM. VAULT SONGS?! NEW SONGS?! I'LL LOVE IT

Lola 08-20-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 (Post 1215795)
Apologies in advance if this gets rambly or whatever, bUT:

I was at the Classic a few weeks ago, and one of my favorite music critics Bob Lefsetz wrote an awesome review of the performance. Presciently he writes:

Frey's passing last year made me realize that my time with my favorite music was approaching its end. At the Classic I couldn't help but break down. There I was, surrounded by tens of thousands of people, singing along to the songs that have defined generations.

If I'm being honest, I don't think we can expect new music. Buckingham McVie is a gorgeous body of work, and if it ends there, I think that they as well as Stevie, would be content. No need to force something that isn't organic as Liddy would say. These are five human beings, seasoned musicians, with families and more of their lives behind them than ahead. Our fireflies have been through hell and back, and I swear there were times after SYW, and then after Unleashed tour that I thought that was the end. I can't help but be thankful that they've made it this far, still willing to let us experience this magnificent band.

There will never be anything again like Fleetwood Mac. They've more than earned their right to fade in whatever way they choose, with all of us supportive as ever, making sure their legacy lives on as the music lives on. One day I'll get to tell my children I was alive when Fleetwood Mac was making music and that alone is freaking awesome.

THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD ACTUALLY DIE IF THERE WAS A NEW ALBUM. VAULT SONGS?! NEW SONGS?! I'LL LOVE IT

And Gregg Allman died the day before Steve's birthday. He was 69. An entire generation of musical greats are dying. One day we'll look back and say we lived in the FM Age. You'll tell your kids, I'll tell anyone who'll listen!

I work with a lady who is a Doors fanatic. We've had zillions of conversations about how she never got to see Jim Morrison live. He's dead so buying anything autographed is financially impossible. I can't tell you how my heart breaks for her. Her family refers to me as the "FM lady at work". Sometimes I feel bad talking about BuckVie or the September Stevie show at Ravinia. I totally understand how you broke down at the show. Every time I see some form of FM I wonder if it will be my last.

nodmod 08-21-2017 01:40 PM

We are 15 years since the last compilation "The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac" released in 2002, so we are likely overdue another 'Greatest Hits Album' cash grab, expect another greatest hit package next year to tie into the tour, maybe with a few new songs or never-before-released outtakes that are still be in the vaults

bwboy 08-21-2017 02:47 PM

I don't think we'll see another greatest hits album next year. The label seems focused on releasing the Expanded or Deluxe Editions first, and the White Album still needs the treatment, and will probably get it in 2018.

ricohv 08-22-2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1215830)
I don't think we'll see another greatest hits album next year. The label seems focused on releasing the Expanded or Deluxe Editions first, and the White Album still needs the treatment, and will probably get it in 2018.

AND...I'd be willing to bet Rumours will be repackaged and re-released at least one more time because ultimately that is always the enduring cash-cow! :eek:
*Ricoh*

WatchChain 08-22-2017 10:45 PM

An EP has half a** written all over it. I'd rather The Mac doing nothing at all than putting out a lazy attempt at an EP.

A full fledged album with a solid producer like Mitchell Froom or Rick Rubin could be the artistic statement/swan song that this dinosaur rock act has been needing. If The Mac want to truly cement their place in music history, they need to come out with a critically acclaimed album in the twilight of their career. Think:

Johnny Cash-American IV/The Man Comes Around
Bob Dylan-Time Out Of Mind
Paul Simon-Graceland
Bruce Springsteen-Magic or Wrecking Ball

There are numerous artists who've recorded groundbreaking, artistic, multi-layered and critically acclaimed albums LATE in their career. These 5 musicians are certainly talented enough to do just that. But, they must put their egos aside and get off their asses to follow through. At this stage in their career, if they want to be known as more than a jukebox band playing their "hits", it's time to get serious. If not, on with the show, so to speak.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that more than a few members of The Mac just don't like each other very much.

The men in Fleetwood Mac now have (in some cases) young children to raise, put through college, and leave properties and trust funds to. Chris and Stevie are alone without husbands and children, so the Fleetwood Mac gig is a way of keeping them active and busy. At this point, jukebox touring and making some money seems to be "enough" for these folks.

AnthonyMI 08-23-2017 11:12 AM

I do not think it possible. No. I'll tell you why. Stevie, much as I love her output recent years and old albums is creativly and inspirationally bankrupt. And when she does manage to come up with a basis for a promising song she is SO stuck in her ways she can't refine or edit a song to make it Gloss and Gleam. It's her way or the highway. The extent of Cooperation and compromise she's capable of is touring. That's it.

At least LB moved on from the break up in 1976, the fight in 1987, and affair of 1997. He's consistently been a husband and father since 1998. Meanwhile Stevie is clutching desperately to following him down till the sound of her voice haunts him. It was cute for a while but reeks of desperation and Miss Havishan from Great Expectations.

aleuzzi 08-23-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1215878)
At least LB moved on from the break up in 1976, the fight in 1987, and affair of 1997...

Help me out. What is the affair of 1997 you speak of? Have I been missing something really juicy all this time?

bombaysaffires 08-23-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1215880)
Help me out. What is the affair of 1997 you speak of? Have I been missing something really juicy all this time?

"He fell for her again,
She watched it happen
Every day, day by day
But more important
Night by night..
She watched it all
come into play
He held her hand
She listened to
what he had to say..."

"Maybe now he could prove to her
That he could be good for her
That they should be together...."

Whether they actually had a physical affair or whether it was just emotional no one knows but plenty of people have opinions about.....

jbrownsjr 08-23-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1215882)
"He fell for her again,
She watched it happen
Every day, day by day
But more important
Night by night..
She watched it all
come into play
He held her hand
She listened to
what he had to say..."

"Maybe now he could prove to her
That he could be good for her
That they should be together...."

Whether they actually had a physical affair or whether it was just emotional no one knows but plenty of people have opinions about.....

Then he ran right into the arms of Christine! (10 years later) :]

sue 08-23-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1215886)
Then he ran right into the arms of Christine! (10 years later) :]

Oh you big softie...
Xxx

jbrownsjr 08-23-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1215893)
Oh you big softie...
Xxx

I love that you get me. Most of the folks don't get my goofiness. :xoxo:
They just want to fight like the England and Ireland! :wavey::wavey:

HomerMcvie 08-23-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1215896)
I love that you get me. Most of the folks don't get my goofiness. :xoxo:
They just want to fight like the England and Ireland! :wavey::wavey:

Me too. It kills me that people think I'm mean.

Just because I'm not afraid to give an unpopular opinion.

WatchChain 08-24-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1215878)
I do not think it possible. No. I'll tell you why. Stevie, much as I love her output recent years and old albums is creativly and inspirationally bankrupt. And when she does manage to come up with a basis for a promising song she is SO stuck in her ways she can't refine or edit a song to make it Gloss and Gleam. It's her way or the highway. The extent of Cooperation and compromise she's capable of is touring. That's it.

At least LB moved on from the break up in 1976, the fight in 1987, and affair of 1997. He's consistently been a husband and father since 1998. Meanwhile Stevie is clutching desperately to following him down till the sound of her voice haunts him. It was cute for a while but reeks of desperation and Miss Havishan from Great Expectations.

This is an extremely insightful evaluation of the current state of affairs. As much as I love Stevie Nicks, I tend to agree with this theory.

iamnotafraid 08-25-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1215905)

Just because I'm not afraid to give an unpopular opinion.

Did someone call my name?