The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie Nicks: Recording ‘Tango’ in my ex-boyfriend’s bedroom was ‘extremely strange’ (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56915)

snroxman 03-12-2017 09:45 AM

Wow, her level of involvement after reading all the comments now makes sense. I remember some things from around that time (dating myself here).

She wasn't the only one with "issues", a need to "supplement" instruments electronically, and recording in your ex's bedroom? Eek!

I agree, though, it would have been nice on this release to have heard more of those "oooo" , "aaaaa" vocals that were erased. But, that's ok.

I wasn't sure I was going to buy this release. But, after reading all this, I think I will. This was one of my favorite areas musically.

michelej1 03-13-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steviegirl (Post 1203008)
Was it common knowledge that Tango was recorded in Lindsey's bedroom?? Yikes. No wonder she felt uncomfortable.:distress:

[/B]

Right?![/QUOTE]

No. Some parts may have been recorded there, but I would think very little. Lindsey said he kept the recording out of the house, for his girlfriend's sake. Mick said in his book,

Quote:

"It took us 18 months, working under completely different conditions from what we were used. We had started out at Rumbo Sound in the Valley, where the basic tracks were cut. We then moved production to the studio Lindsey built in the garage of his house, called the Slope, where we would mix and do the overdubs. It wasn't really a proper studio per se; everything was recorded right in the control room. The acoustics were the wooden floor, the bathroom, the carpet, the hallway. To minimize wear and tear to the property, John Courage brought in a trailer with phones and a TV and a place to hang out."
Michele

petep9000 03-27-2017 09:19 AM

I don't want to hear Stevie 2017 sing "Joan of Arc" considering we have an almost perfect version of it already in her Tango voice. It would sound awful now. Sorry. Not being a hater, I just don't think her vocals now would do it justice since we're so used to the other version.

SisterNightroad 03-27-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petep9000 (Post 1204695)
I don't want to hear Stevie 2017 sing "Joan of Arc" considering we have an almost perfect version of it already in her Tango voice. It would sound awful now. Sorry. Not being a hater, I just don't think her vocals now would do it justice since we're so used to the other version.

Many said the same thing about All The Beautiful Worlds but eventually they changed idea.

StevieandChris 03-27-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1204698)
Many said the same thing about All The Beautiful Worlds but eventually they changed idea.

I LOVE the 24KG version of All the Beautiful Worlds and I love the 1980s outtake but not the one on the recent reissue. I think of the official version as the moody, atmospheric version and love it in certain moods, and think of the other version as the "dance party" version. 😊😝 same with If You Were My Love and the Mirage outtake.

I have not heard a version of Joan of Arc that I have actually liked. What is the best demo?

I do not like the demos of 24 KG or Mabel Normand but love the official versions in her current voice. Maybe Joan of Arc will be amazing done now.

SisterNightroad 03-27-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieandChris (Post 1204701)
I LOVE the 24KG version of All the Beautiful Worlds and I love the 1980s outtake but not the one on the recent reissue. I think of the official version as the moody, atmospheric version and love it in certain moods, and think of the other version as the "dance party" version. 😊😝 same with If You Were My Love and the Mirage outtake.

I have not heard a version of Joan of Arc that I have actually liked. What is the best demo?

I do not like the demos of 24 KG or Mabel Normand but love the official versions in her current voice. Maybe Joan of Arc will be amazing done now.

The most polished version we have is this one, I personally like it very much:

bwboy 03-27-2017 11:33 AM

Thanks for the link, SisterNightroad. The song has a very moody atmosphere.

StevieandChris 03-27-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1204702)
The most polished version we have is this one, I personally like it very much:

Thanks! I like the music but not the lyrics/vocal so I guess this is just one of her songs that doesn't resonate with me right now.

bombaysaffires 03-27-2017 04:39 PM

here's the earlier demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRcrdGX95I

I really prefer the big booming drums on this one.

lilyfee 03-27-2017 06:12 PM

Wow. What is this song about? Haunting and kind of creepy. "Turn to the wall"?? What does that mean? Stevie better record this for real, because this would have been a great addition to the Tango deluxe album. Actually, the album itself... Why was this not included to begin with?:eek::confused:

StevieandChris 03-28-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1204741)
Wow. What is this song about? Haunting and kind of creepy. "Turn to the wall"?? What does that mean? Stevie better record this for real, because this would have been a great addition to the Tango deluxe album. Actually, the album itself... Why was this not included to begin with?:eek::confused:

So I have to confess I am already changing my mind about the lyrics/vocal. Keep thinking about the song so she did her job! I do think she could do a fantastic job, maybe even a better take now...hope she does.

Frankenstein 03-28-2017 01:23 PM

I wouldn't mind if Stevie were to record Joan of Arc but if she did, I'd hope that she would reduce some of the repetitive "Turn to the wall" lyrics.

24karatstevie 03-29-2017 01:46 PM

I'm all for Joan of Arc being Re-Recorded. Possibly a 24 Karat Gold pt 2? I feel like she would come around to doing a solo album as opposed to a Mac album since her stance is pretty clear about that.

24karatstevie 03-29-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 1204784)
I wouldn't mind if Stevie were to record Joan of Arc but if she did, I'd hope that she would reduce some of the repetitive "Turn to the wall" lyrics.

See that's my favorite part of the song! But yeah it is pretty repetitive.

SisterNightroad 03-29-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1204741)

It was recently revealed that it's been inspired by Jane Goodall.

However my favourite thing about that demo is the oriental-like music.