The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Just Thought I'd Share Thread (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41544)

chelluversu 03-20-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 878184)
I hate picking on you like this because I adore you. You are a very positive person and I very much appreciate your writings and photos.

However, you did ask us to critique your writing, so that's what we are doing.:)

Aww thanks viv =]

I understand completely. You guys are doing everything Dr. C would do. I just have to learn to be careful with what I am writing/typing because I make, according to my math teacher, stupid mistakes.

ButterCookie 03-21-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 878185)
I make, according to my math teacher, stupid mistakes.

I hate it when teachers say a mistake is stupid. They're never stupid because we learn from them. If you're learning a lesson you'll keep with you, it sure isn't stupid :)

Ghost_Tracker 03-21-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 878236)
I hate it when teachers say a mistake is stupid. They're never stupid because we learn from them. If you're learning a lesson you'll keep with you, it sure isn't stupid :)

There was recently a case in the news where a teacher was writing "Stupid!" on a seven-year-old girl's papers. I think he might have argued that he meant, "THAT'S stupid," rather than "YOU'RE stupid." But that's the way she took it. Her mother, of course, was none too pleased. I'm not sure what ended up happening but I have a sneaky feeling that the Administration ended up being VERY willing to be helpful towards the teacher. For example, in getting a copy of Resume Expert for him to use, finding boxes to use when he cleans out his desk, scheduling exit interviews... :nod: ;)

By the way, I once had a substitute teacher when I was ten or so who said something to me like "just go sit down, you snot-nosed kid!" (I hadn't been "misbehaving" or anything, either.) Nobody made a federal case of it but just the same, pretty much all of the parents were certainly "made aware of " it.

Ghost_Tracker 03-21-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 878179)
I am a professional copy editor. Does anyone here have any questions for me?

Semi-colons! - - - To be? . . . Or not; to be!....

(I get confused about when to use them sometimes, and; it would be helpful to have some input about things like semi-colons; clauses, when to use them and when not to; etc. ;) )

jannieC 03-22-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 878179)
I am a professional copy editor. Does anyone here have any questions for me?

Th correct usage of "affect" and effect", please. I usually use the word "impact" to be on the safe side.

vivfox 03-22-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 878533)
Th correct usage of "affect" and effect", please. I usually use the word "impact" to be on the safe side.

Well, first of all the has an E on the end of it.
Secondly, affect means you were personally affected by something.
Thirdly, effect means someting done was effective.

Examples:
I was so thrilled about Grandma's health being good. Her situation really affects on me because I'm usually the one who has to take care of her.

I was so thrilled about Grandma's health being good. The Doctor care she has received has been very effective.

Zombie 03-22-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 878573)

Examples:
I was so thrilled about Grandma's health being good. Her situation really affects on me because I'm usually the one who has to take care of her.

I was so thrilled about Grandma's health being good. The Doctor care she has received has been very effective.

I've always explained it like: To affect something is to change it in some way. The effect is the result of that change.

People can also remember that affect is almost always used as a verb, whereas effect is almost always used as a noun.

jannieC 03-22-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 878573)

Examples:

This sentence sounds totally off to me! Is the "on" between "affects" and "me" a typo?

Otherwise, thank you to you and Zombie both. I may actually remember this now! :o

vivfox 03-22-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 878655)
This sentence sounds totally off to me! Is the "on" between "affects" and "me" a typo?

Otherwise, thank you to you and Zombie both. I may actually remember this now! :o

You are correct about the typo! However, I really did place it there which goes to show you that even I, Vivica Fox, am not perfect.
Glad I could teach you and be of service.

vivfox 03-22-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 878600)
I've always explained it like: To affect something is to change it in some way. The effect is the result of that change.

People can also remember that affect is almost always used as a verb, whereas effect is almost always used as a noun.

I liked my way of teaching this lesson better only because I'm not good at verbs and adjectives et al. I only know that a noun is a person. place or thing. The rest of them I'll never remember even if my life depended on it.

jaycee 03-23-2010 10:02 AM

I found this rather surprising video of Stephen Fry a moment ago. http://www.gnu.org/fry/
(This is bound to get some rolled eyes from some people who know me... :o)

BTFLCHLD 03-23-2010 04:45 PM

this is the funniest thing i've read in a while... (JTIS...I'm easily amused)

ask jana
from Hanna in Filipstad, Sweden
JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION!!!! And just wanted to remind you that we have actually chatted on myspace :) Like a year ago I asked you there if Fleetwood Mac would come to Sweden and you didn't know, but they did!
I really want Stevie to hear my music so if there's any chance you can show her, I'll appreciate more than soooooooooo much!!!!!
I'm your friend there :)
Love,
/Hanna, again :)

Hi Hanna. Sorry we never know where we’re touring until the last minute. I’m happy to answer your questions. I’m happy to chat on myspace or facebook now when I have time. I go to facebook more often latey. I’m due to add a lot to my journal page on www.myspace.com/janaandersonmusic, right?! My dear, we all want Stevie to hear our music. There are legal reasons she can’t listen to music sometimes. I don’t even bother her with my music, truth be told. I have never even asked her if she listened to my CD. It’s just not possible when she’s so busy. She has a lot on her plate and so I would appreciate if you stop asking because being that I love helping people, it just makes me feel bad to always have to tell you no over and over. Does that make sense? I’m not Stevie’s personal assistant and am not able to take care of business for her. I work for her and she is a good friend and boss and we have had some beautiful, personal moments at her house and at dinner. However, it’s not appropriate for me to be a ‘go to’ person for business. I say this with love. Now if I don’t go to her and ask her for help with my own career, you know I’m being sincere. God bless you and your dreams.

carrie721 03-23-2010 05:04 PM

^ pretty sure she's a ledgie. :laugh:

BTFLCHLD 03-23-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 878908)
^ pretty sure she's a ledgie. :laugh:

cool...

jana saying not legal for Stevie to listen to music sometimes...that cracked me up.
and the stop asking bit... :laugh:

carrie721 03-23-2010 05:43 PM

^i think jana's a little "special."