The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Just Thought I'd Share Thread (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41544)

Ghost_Tracker 03-20-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 878131)
I am the biggest fan EVER of semicolons. I use them obnoxiously often, but I don't even care.... they are just too fantastic. I'm big into the em dash (--) too. Yay interesting grammar! Work on elipses too. . . they are addicting.

I agree; but sometimes I feel confused about when to use them -- OH well, that's life! . . .

By the way, check out Dickens in the Christmas Books sometime - - He's the Master of Using Colons Correctly - - - I had never known that you can have several in one sentence. Throw a semicolon or two and some commas into the same sentence, and you're really rockin' and rollin... :D

chelluversu 03-20-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 878131)
I am the biggest fan EVER of semicolons. I use them obnoxiously often, but I don't even care.... they are just too fantastic. I'm big into the em dash (--) too. Yay interesting grammar! Work on elipses too. . . they are addicting.

one's a period, two's a mistake, three's an elipses lol

I love those things too. When I'm writing i always use hyphens and elipses-- which reminds be that instead of coming up with three parts to my three part thesis, my last one was ...

I know that my teacher mentioned buying Emily Dickenson's book of poetry because she never uses periods or any other time of punctuation mark other than the dash and gets away with it.

Quote:

I agree; but sometimes I feel confused about when to use them -- OH well, that's life! . . . By the way, check out Dickens in the Christmas Books sometime - - He's the Master of Using Colons Correctly - - - I had never known that you can have several in one sentence. Throw a semicolon or two and some commas into the same sentence, and you're really rockin' and rollin...
Will check it out as soon as I can; I'm incredibly broke at the moment.

I know that you can use the semicolon to connect two ideas that are related to each other, like i just did, or when you are explaining something (you can use the colon for that too) or when their is a list that also contains commas you can use a semicolon as well: "Scottie, the crazy one; Maddie, the pretty one; Ashley, the one the pretty girls hang with to make themselves look better; and Jennie, the slut."

and with the dashes, you are supposed to use them to emphasize your interruption of thought. If you don't want to emphasize it then just use parenthesis or something...
That's all i remember from that day. I have a packet too that I can look at but who feels like doing that-- not me...

daniellaaarisen 03-20-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker (Post 878147)
I agree; but sometimes I feel confused about when to use them -- OH well, that's life! . . .

IMPROPER USE OF A SEMICOLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:xoxo:

tilthefirefades 03-20-2010 06:46 PM

JTIS that my Mom got married today :blob2: and the wedding was beautiful. It was so sunny today, and it was the perfect spring wedding. I got to walk her down the aisle and give her away :laugh:

vivfox 03-20-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 878158)
JTIS that my Mom got married today :blob2: and the wedding was beautiful. It was so sunny today, and it was the perfect spring wedding. I got to walk her down the aisle and give her away :laugh:

I t sounds like you had a very good time. Congratulations! How do you like her new choice of man?

chelluversu 03-20-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 878158)

That's awesome. Today was like the perfect day to get married.

Miss Vicky 03-20-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 878041)
JTIS:
In my AP english class we are adviced to use punctuation marks other than !,?, and .

The word is advised, with an S. Advice is a noun and therefore has no tenses (past, present, etc). Whereas to advise is a verb.

tilthefirefades 03-20-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 878163)
I t sounds like you had a very good time. Congratulations! How do you like her new choice of man?

Well I'm indifferent really, since I'm grown and out of her house. But he does seem like a great man, especially when compared to her past choices. I'm more excited for my brother who is only 7, he doesn't know his father, so my Mom's new man will be a nice father figure for him :)

chelluversu 03-20-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 878172)
The word is advised, with an S. Advice is a noun and therefore has no tenses (past, present, etc). Whereas to advise is a verb.

I caught the first one but not the second lol...i spelt hyphen wrong as well =\

tilthefirefades 03-20-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 878175)

The Ledge: Everything that is Fleetwood Mac and grammar :rolleyes:

Miss Vicky 03-20-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Ha! I didn't even notice "hypen."

David 03-20-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 878176)
The Ledge: Everything that is Fleetwood Mac and grammar :rolleyes:

I am a professional copy editor. Does anyone here have any questions for me?

vivfox 03-20-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

I caught the first one but not the second lol...[B]i spelt [/B]hyphen wrong as well =\

Here it should read: I spelled

chelluversu 03-20-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 878180)
Here it should read: I spelled

really? =[
lol I just can't spell today...or any other day

vivfox 03-20-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 878183)
really? =[
lol I just can't spell today...or any other day

I hate picking on you like this because I adore you. You are a very positive person and I very much appreciate your writings and photos.

However, you did ask us to critique your writing, so that's what we are doing.:)