The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help please-re: Kate Bush (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=10173)

Janet 05-25-2003 04:57 PM

Help please-re: Kate Bush

Im a die hard Lindsey fan but I wouldn't call myself an expert, some of you are experts.

I am dying to know if there are ANY Lindsey and Kate ties ( or Kate and Stevie ties??) I just would imagine Lindsey would like her music and I would imagine at some point he'd mention that? Maybe not.

I listen to her and I just can't seem to shake that there must be some admiration on his part, Stevie's part or Kates part towards Lindsey or Stevie.

They all got HUGE around the same time, Kate coming out in 1978 and just being thrown out there as the IT thing..I can't imagine that they ignored that.

So I was just curious! Thanks to anyone who knows anything.

David 05-26-2003 12:37 PM

Re: Help please-re: Kate Bush

Quote:

Originally posted by Janet
Im a die hard Lindsey fan but I wouldn't call myself an expert, some of you are experts.

I am dying to know if there are ANY Lindsey and Kate ties ( or Kate and Stevie ties??) I just would imagine Lindsey would like her music and I would imagine at some point he'd mention that? Maybe not.

They are nothing more than two ships that pass in the night. In fact, they haven't even passed in the night. Neither one has ever mentioned the other. Of the two (Lindsey & Stevie), I would say there's a greater chance that Lindsey has heard some Kate Bush albums. Stevie is a mainstream rock & pop gal.

Conversely, I'd think that Kate Bush would have more interest -- if any at all -- in Lindsey Buckingham music than in Stevie Nicks music.

shackin'up 05-26-2003 01:53 PM

maybe there is...

Some connection. I don't remember the source, but I think I read in the early eighties that Kate, Mr Gabriel and Lindsey used the same Fairlight-equipment. Maybe they communicated about it. And hey, as i think I mentioned before, listen to Running Up That Hill and Big Love (studio) and you just can't imagine there is no connection there!

strandinthewind 05-26-2003 02:53 PM

Well - although I like Kate Bush on it, I have always thought Stevie could have been killer if she had sang instead of Kate Bush on Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up."

So, there is my connection!!!!!!! :cool:

jwys_soapbox 05-26-2003 03:41 PM

Kate Bush's career was helped considerable (so I've heard) by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, who is another guitar god akin to Lindsey. Maybe that's a link. I doubt if any of the band members of Fleetwood Mac have crossed paths with Kate because Kate never toured much in the US (I think she has a fear of flying).

Just some random thoughts on the subject.

John

CarneVaca 05-27-2003 08:30 AM

How things have changed. Back in the 80s, no Kate Bush fan I know of would ever admit he/she liked Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham or Fleetwood Mac. Of course, now it's cool to like Fleetwood Mac, so no problem.

Funny, though, ain't it?

shackin'up 05-27-2003 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CarneVaca
How things have changed. Back in the 80s, no Kate Bush fan I know of would ever admit he/she liked Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham or Fleetwood Mac. Of course, now it's cool to like Fleetwood Mac, so no problem.

Funny, though, ain't it?

Do you really think so? When I was fourteen, I had two posters above my bed: one of Stevie, one of Kate. I've been a fan of both- not only for musical reasons, obviously, ever since. ;) ;)

it is funny though that In the early eighties I really became a buckinghamfan.

never had a poster though...:D

Is there anybody outhere who can confirm my earlier posted connection in this thread about Lindsey and Kate working with the same Fairlight-equipment?

gerald

Janet 05-28-2003 05:03 PM

Hey, I have only been a fan of FM since 1997 and Kate for not even a year.

But listening to the Hounds of Love album, I think of Lindsey SOOOOO much. Listening to Wuthering Heights or some of the Sensual World and Red Shoes songs, I think of Stevie.

She has like Lindsey studio manic take 10 years to do a record think and she has the romantic spirit NOW like Stevie.

I adore all three and I want them all together LOL.

seteca 05-28-2003 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jwys_soapbox
Kate Bush's career was helped considerable (so I've heard) by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, who is another guitar god akin to Lindsey.
That's exactly the first thing I thought of aswell. There is a very strong link between DG and Kate, but I don't know of anything between her and LB.

I have a live bootleg of DG doing some amazing guitar work on "Running Up That Hill", and one of her playing the role of the evil doctor in "Comfortably Numb" during his latest solo tour - her voice is absolutely amazing during this! Another great one is their live duet of "Let It Be", with DG doing the solo using his "Time" tone....great stuff!:D

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

macmar71 05-29-2003 07:34 PM

There paths never crossed but it would be cool if they ever got together for a collaboration.

David 05-29-2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shackin'up
Is there anybody outhere who can confirm my earlier posted connection in this thread about Lindsey and Kate working with the same Fairlight-equipment?
I'm not sure what you mean, but Kate Bush used the Fairlight starting in 1982 for her album "The Dreaming"; & Lindsey first used the Fairlight for his 1984 solo album ("Go Insane"). Stevie Wonder also used one of these very expensive samplers. I don't think there were very many made because of their cost (I think it cost about $25,000) & very few musicians were willing to buy one. It allowed you to sample real sounds & digitally mix them into your music. The samples could be looped or resampled. The technology can be duplicated nowadays by inexpensive synths that cost a few thousand.

You can see pics of the old Fairlights at http://code404.com/synths/index-text.html#fairlight

golddust 05-31-2003 10:58 AM

~~~I too am a long time fan of Stevie, Lindsey and Kate. I have often thought that Kate has the same musical sensibilities as Lindsey. In The Dreaming, her fourth album, she was roundly criticized for putting out less accessible music. I personally think the album is brilliant and it reminds me of what happened with Tusk and the "pushing of the envelope" for musical growth. I've long thought that Lindsey and Kate were cut from the same cloth in the way they deal with their record companies and in how 'they do what they want to'~~~

shackin'up 05-31-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David
I'm not sure what you mean, but Kate Bush used the Fairlight starting in 1982 for her album "The Dreaming"; & Lindsey first used the Fairlight for his 1984 solo album ("Go Insane"). Stevie Wonder also used one of these very expensive samplers. I don't think there were very many made because of their cost (I think it cost about $25,000) & very few musicians were willing to buy one. It allowed you to sample real sounds & digitally mix them into your music. The samples could be looped or resampled. The technology can be duplicated nowadays by inexpensive synths that cost a few thousand.

You can see pics of the old Fairlights at http://code404.com/synths/index-text.html#fairlight

Cool! Tanks a lot, David! Never saw these things before, the name "FAIRLIGHT" just had some magical sound. But around those times I heard/read rumours about exchanging gear between Buckingham and Bush ( what about that, sounds good: here's the new BuckinghamBush- album :laugh: ). Maybe Lindsey hired the Fairlight from her when she finished the Dreaming (My fave KB-album!), for working on Go insane!