The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MacNuggets (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=36030)

vivfox 12-02-2009 12:40 AM

Another constant in our house at this time was Fleetwood Mac – Rumours:
For whatever reason, it seemed to be mandatory that if you were white and living in the suburbs, you HAD to own this record.

This was the first record where I actually memorized EVERY song. I even did little “air guitar” concerts with a broom handle.

Funny thought, for some reason when I was young, say under 10, I thought that ALL older bands no longer existed because they were dead or something. So imagine my surprise when Fleetwood Mac made a mini-resurgence in the 80’s.

http://www.wunderkraut.com/index.php...the-beginning/

vivfox 12-02-2009 12:41 AM

Man I have a story about you and Fleetwood Mac, and the Rumours album.
It was during one of our annual Boy Scout camping trips to Providence Canyon (Little Grand Canyon). You were on the younger side, so when you entered a heavily debated topic of best Rock Album of all time, you got slammed when you brought up Rumours to the other Rock charged debaters who were supporting Van Halen, Def Leopard or whoever was the flavor of the year. Luckily for you, me and Tommy Cole, the other “older” kid agreed to let you have your say. But man you took a beating. And you would not let it go! You brought up Rumours any and every time you had an opportunity for the entire weekend. Even though, I liked Fleetwood Mac and we agreed, I was starting to lose my mind. Come to think of it, why were you defending the Album to the only two guys that had heard the album, and liked it, and not the guys kicking the turd out of it.
Anyway from that day on, I never heard a Fleetwood Mac song without being reminded of your persistence. In fact many years later, I think during a Lindsey Buckingham guitar solo, sitting in the grass at an outdoor amphitheater in Columbus, Ohio; with a half-naked Mick Fleetwood letting it rip on the drums, I could be heard having a Turrets fit for a split second…”Talley you #*&%@*%…get out of my head.”
I thought you would like that nugget.

http://www.wunderkraut.com/index.php...the-beginning/

michelej1 12-03-2009 01:06 PM

[If they mention you're a fan in your obit, then you know you must be a diehard like those of us here. Wonder if she was ever on The Ledge]

Zanesville Times Recorder (Ohio)
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...912030348/1023

ROSEVILLE: Kimberly Ruth Elliott, 46, passed away Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at Genesis Good Samaritan Hospital.

Kim was born in Zanesville on February 24, 1963 to Eugene Ally and Thelma Starcher Moore. Kim was a huge Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan.

Kim is survived by her mother, Thelma Moore; special friend, Kenny Dodson; daughters, Amanda Elliott of Warsaw, Brittany Elliott of Newark, and Miranda Elliott of Zanesville; sisters, Lucy (Jeff) McLean of Roseville and Terina Moore of Crooksville; brother, Robert Moore of Noble County; four grandchildren, Rayn, Stacey, Olivia, and Braxton.

She was preceded in death by her father; maternal grandparents, Demy (Ruth) Starcher; aunt, Evelyn Ferral; and mother-in-law, Mary Lou Elliott.

Calling hours will be held on Friday, December 4, 2009 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at THE SNOUFFER FUNERAL HOME, ROSEVILLE CHAPEL, 33 North Main Street, Roseville. A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. at the funeral home on Friday, December 4, 2009 with Pastor Mark Mealick officiating. A cremation will take place.

To send a note of condolence to the family, please visit our website at www.snoufferfuneralhome.com or call our compassionate staff at 740.697.7777

vivfox 12-04-2009 04:53 AM

"Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Live” DVD collection is the "event of the season,” in the words of an old Neil Young tune.
This nine-disc boxed set of 125 rock royalty jam sessions is the must-have or must-give package of the year for the rock ’n’ roll fan of any age. The young can learn from it, and the baby boomers can revel in the music they grew up to, played by the original players who’ve survived in the business of be-bop-a-lu-la for 25 years and longer — the required length of time you have to have been a pro player to be eligible for immortalization in Cleveland’s monument to rock and its attendant attitude and spirit.

Some of the performances are a little rough, particularly the uneasy reunion of the five original Byrds in 1991 for a mangling of "Turn, Turn, Turn,” and the reunited Cream’s sluggish run at "Sunshine of Your Love.” But the sweet moment when Stevie Nicks lovingly caresses Lindsey Buckingham’s shoulders during a moving acoustic solo break in "Landslide,” and Ann and Nancy Wilson’s majestic interpretation of Led Zeppelin’s "Battle of Evermore,” with Ann on acoustic guitar, harmonizing with Nancy on mandolin, are unforgettable, historic, once-in-a-lifetime performances. Prince’s jaw-dropping solo at the end of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps” during the posthumous induction of George Harrison is almost worth the $120 price tag all by itself.

http://www.newsok.com/box-sets-wrap-...ad_story_title

vivfox 12-05-2009 01:25 PM

I'm going to see the legendary Fleetwood Mac in concert this Tuesday!
Even though all the band members will probably be using walking frames and taking nap breaks every 10 minutes, I am very excited. It should be a good show.

I am actually quite disappointed that Christine McVie will not be touring with the band as she left sometime during 2008. She was a pretty good vocalist. I like her. All other original band members (Stevie Nicks, Lindsay Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie) will be there thankfully.

http://stockingsneededmending.blogsp...ust-woman.html

vivfox 12-13-2009 09:37 PM

Sunday, December 13, 2009
October 1, 1972 Springfield Civic Center, Springfield, MA Roberta Flack

It may be unexpected to see a Roberta Flack concert listed in "Lost Live Dead," but you have to bear with me on this one.

Stuart "Dinky" Dawson, born in Worksop, Nottanghamshire in 1947, was an English dj who almost accidentally became Fleetwood Mac's road manager and soundman in 1968. Although the Mac had made their first American tour without him in 1968, Dinky returned with them at the end of the year as they tried to conquer America. Alone among English bands in 1968, Fleetwood Mac toured with their own PA system, as Dawson felt with some justification he knew more about live sound than any local, and in any case he had a vested interest in his band's success, and knew proper sound would be an essential part of it.

It can hardly be a surprise that when Fleetwood Mac returned to San Francisco in early 1969 to play the Fillmore West (January 16-19, between Creedence Clearwater and Albert Collins), both Dawson and Fleetwood Mac got on famously with the Dead. From 1968 to 1970, protocol required that visiting bands jam with the Grateful Dead or the Jefferson Airplane (and later Santana) on their first time through town. This was the social equivalent of jazz musicians playing with Charlie Parker or (later) John Coltrane at Birdland or the Village Vanguard when they came through New York. Real players would show up and jam, and failure to show the flag often had peculiar ramifications. Fleetwood Mac and the Dead hit it off big time, however, and Dinky Dawson found a kindred spirit in Owsley Stanley.

The Grateful Dead were one of (if not the) first American rock bands to tour with their own sound system, provided to them with the technical and financial participation of Owsley. Naturally, the group would gravitate to a band who carried their own system, particularly one with no less than three lead guitarists and a smoking rhythm section. Fleetwood Mac toured America heavily throughout 1969 and 1970, and they had many adventures with the Dead, including the New Orleans bust and the famous jam at Fillmore East with the Allman Brothers (on February 11, 1970).

Dawson left Fleetwood Mac and became road manager and soundman for The Byrds, and after extensive touring with them, he set up a sound company (Dawson Sound) in Massachusetts in 1972. While Dawson periodically went on tour with such groups as The Kinks, Steely Dan and Mahavishnu Orchestra, his company also provided house sound systems for venues in the region throughout the early 1970s.

http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/200...ic-center.html

vivfox 12-14-2009 11:39 PM

Alicia Keys

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY
About two months before recording The Element of Freedom, Alicia Keys witnessed an event that would have a profound influence on her creative process: a Fleetwood Mac concert.
"It was my sister's birthday, and she wanted to see them," says Keys, 29, referring to longtime best friend Erika Rose. The R&B singer/songwriter knew of the veteran band but wasn't entirely familiar with its catalog. "So everyone was like, 'What? You don't know these songs?' "

REVIEW: Keys evolves on * * * 'Element of Freedom'

Other vintage pop acts also informed Freedom, her fourth studio album, which arrives today. Keys started "to experiment with keyboards from the late '70s and '80s. ... I listened to a lot of Genesis, The Police, Tears for Fears— people who hadn't been staples for me."

Her education influenced the album "in a very positive way. In the past, I wasn't as conscious of melody. This time, I wanted melodies that really soared, like the ones I heard at that (Mac) show."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...eys15_ST_N.htm

vivfox 12-15-2009 11:16 PM

Giving up Fleetwood Mac for Lady Gaga

Well actually it better not be - seeing the Lady Gaga concert will be the weekend of our next Wedding anniversary!

I have dumped one concert, only to replace with another… Although, to be fair – there will be differences.

I had to make the decision recently to cancel going to the Fleetwood Mac concert this weekend at the Bowl of Brooklands, due to the difficulties of the out-door venue; standing-sitting issues; and distance from car to concert in regard to my health.

I am quite bummed that I’ll miss Fleetwood Mac and will miss time with various friends. But I can at least relax now and not be too worried about all of the issues I might end up facing. I’ll jusst have to blast the Fleetwood Mac CD at home that night (probably much to Sweeties disgust…) He was only ever going to accompany me under duress to be my caregiver and ‘cripple aid’. He is very relieved that he doesn’t now have to go! I believe his exact words at the time I asked originally, were “I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than have to listen to them… “ Ok – each to their own then!

http://devoted2distraction.wordpress...6/bad-romance/

vivfox 12-19-2009 12:44 AM

open your eyes, look at the day
Dec. 19th, 2009 at 11:58 AM

And then FLEETWOOD MAC, MOFOS, TWO NIGHTS AGO.

IT WAS PRETTY MUCH THE GREATEST THING EVERexceptforWicked.

My friend and I left the show gushing about how much we both adore and want to be Stevie Nicks. This continued until our roommate said 'The white lines are ready for you on the kitchen bench' so we said, maybe we'd like to be Stevie Nicks WITHOUT the horrific cocaine addiction. And he said 'Maybe she wouldn't be so awesome if she had never been a coke whore' and we both vociferously defended Stevie's honour and then my friend shot him with a cap gun for insubordination.

I don't know how familiar everyone is with the Mac, but basically they have a forty year history of personal ****storms, passion and love, drugs and incredible excess, and a back catalogue of extraordinary music. Not gonna lie; I only became a fan of their stuff this year after playing 'Go Your Own Way' about a million times on Guitar Hero World Tour (for which my highest score is 99% on expert, yeaaaaahh). Here are two of my favourites. There's a great difference in the band's dynamic between these two videos, one from 1982, in the midst of terrible drug and personal strife, and one from 1997, the band's first reunion tour. The way Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham look at each other while they sing, especially in the earlier video, is kind of heartbreaking.

'The Chain', Mirage tour, 1982. This song is full of anger and angst and has a killer bass riff.

'Don't Stop', The Dance tour, 1997. This song is upbeat, hopeful and inspirational, and has been stuck in my head for days on end.

http://manderinne.livejournal.com/15075.html

vivfox 12-24-2009 06:52 AM

“We never got into the whole ripping hotels apart thing. Our illicit deeds were tiptoeing down hotel corridors and visiting each other when we shouldn’t have. We were more under the covers.”

— Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood acknowledges that monogamy wasn’t his band’s strong point back in the day
--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: Karen!!!!:laugh:

“My assistant does all of that.”

— Folk music queen Joan Baez admits she doesn’t do her own tweeting on Twitter.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...y-stand-by-it/

michelej1 12-24-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 861634)
“We never got into the whole ripping hotels apart thing. Our illicit deeds were tiptoeing down hotel corridors and visiting each other when we shouldn’t have.

So, does he mean that people other than he and Stevie visited each other?

Michele

vivfox 12-25-2009 09:56 PM

Fleetwood Mac Mirage Rock Music CD Review
I can describe the latest release from Rock super group Fleetwood Mac for you with just one word… Outstanding!

Refreshingly, this was one of those CDs I was able to just pop in and comfortably listen to from beginning to end. Every track is enjoyable and was pretty easy for me to listen to from start to finish.

Mirage has a nicely varied, mix of 12 tracks that are very well written and brilliantly performed songs by these clearly talented musicians. With many of the songs displaying a lot of the kind emotion that makes for a really great listen. Seemingly drawing from what I can only imagine are their own real life experiences. At different points touching on the most real emotions of love, and the pain of failed relationships can certainly be heard.

I’m of the opinion that Mirage is certainly some of this groups best work in a few years. A totally enjoyable CD and an outstanding release. What I call must have music. I give it two thumbs up because it’s a collection that even the casual Rock fan can appreciate and enjoy.

While the entire CD is really very good some of my favorites are track 3 - That’s Alright, track 11 - Eyes Of The World, and track 12 - Wish You Were Here

My Bonus Pick, and the one that got Sore [. . . as in "Stuck On REpeat"] is track 1 - Love In Store. Good stuff!

Mirage Release Notes:

Fleetwood Mac originally released Mirage on October 25, 1990 on the Warner Bros. Records label.

CD Track List Follows:

1. Love In Store 2. Can’t Go Back 3. That’s Alright 4. Book Of Love 5. Gypsy 6. Only Over You 7. Empire State 8. Straight Back 9. Hold Me 10. Oh Diane 11. Eyes Of The World 12. Wish You Were Here

Fleetwood Mac: Lindsey Buckingham (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Christine McVie (vocals, keyboards); Stevie Nicks (vocals); John McVie (bass); Mick Fleetwood (drums, percussion). Additional personnel: Ray Lindsey (guitar). Producers: Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat. Recorded at Le Chateau, Herouville, France; Larrabee Sound & The Record Plant, Los Angeles, California.

http://legitstorereview.com/archives/1512

vivfox 12-26-2009 02:16 PM

Lily Allen

Q: My favorite headline last week was: "Lily Allen vomits in Glasgow."

A: That's so not true. I don't vomit. I can drink.

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac

Q: How much do you think your robust chest hair had to do with Fleetwood Mac selling those 100 million albums?

A: Wow. I would say none. ... I would hope very little. That's the first time I was asked that. It could have been something I missed.

Christian Mazzalai of Phoenix

Q: Did you spend a long time working on this CD?

A: We saw two winters. Two summers. Two falls.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DTL&type=music

vivfox 12-26-2009 05:48 PM

Saturday, December 26, 2009 Fleetwood Mac, Tusk Tour 1979 “Angel”

Much of what makes bands so fascinating is that they are traveling families, and no matter what dysfunction stems from weeks, months and years on the road, their love of making music together is often the only stabilizing force that keeps the unit from imploding. Further, the chaos and tension among members can often breed fantastic, creative honesty. Fleetwood Mac is my favorite example, and probably the most documented in rock music, of the unifying power of music among a group of people who can no longer stand the sight of one another.

During the time Fleetwood Mac was making the Tusk album, the band was past the initial pain of dissolved relationships, and had moved right on to fury, spite, and jealousy. Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album because it is so raw; in it, you feel Lindsey’s bitter resentment, Stevie’s misplaced martyrdom, and Christine’s optimistic will to push through to a better place and time. Although I think Tusk has some of the career-best songs by all three songwriters, I always felt Tusk, as a complete album, was disjointed and did not flow well – like each song was constructed in total isolation. To Lindsey’s credit, despite his longstanding anger toward Stevie, he has always been the best producer for her songs – taking the skeletal poems and melodies she crafted and adding rich, layered complexity. As a musical team, they are magic.

Angel is the greatest live clip I have ever found of Stevie and Lindsey. It is from a documentary of recording and touring for Tusk. The Tusk tour produced one of the most dysfunctional moments in Fleetwood Mac history (that is publicly known) when, during a show in New Zealand, Lindsey began mocking Stevie on stage as she sang; the incident ended in an all-out physical backstage brawl. But sorry - this is not that clip; this clip is from the same tour, filmed in 1979, but shows a lighter side of the band. This is a live performance of “Angel,” and demonstrates palpable joy in making music even through the darkest hours of a band in complete turmoil. Whatever wars were fought once Stevie and Lindsey stepped offstage, the latter half of this clip has them smiling, sharing the microphone, and dancing. It’s truly a classic!

http://audiozealot.blogspot.com/2009...tusk-tour.html

jannieC 12-26-2009 08:18 PM

^^^I never tire of watching that clip. You can almost see Stevie gaining confidence as the performance goes on- I LOVE this.

MichaelE 12-26-2009 08:29 PM

I agree. She takes on a whole new aura after the interludes with Lindsey on that 441.

I think it makes her and Lindsey both feel good.

goldustsongbird 12-26-2009 08:31 PM

One of Stevie's best. End of story.

vivfox 12-28-2009 09:11 AM

Fleetwood Mac - "Rumors"

Obviously a lot has been written about this album. Admittedly, I have been a late arrival to its praise. This year I did give myself the chance to listen to it, not out of any sort of heartbreak, but merely because the time had come. The familiarity of the songs can be jarring at first, however, as you follow the course of the entire album, each song feels right at home and you suddenly lose your identification of songs like "Go Your Own Way" as songs that were overplayed by your classic rock radio station and remember them as "yeah I love that song that comes after 'Don't Stop'. Oh yeah, I love 'Don't Stop'" The album never lets up from the first song "Secondhand News" (my favorite) on. And there aren't many songs that are more fun than "I Don't Want to Know."

http://puddlesofmyself.blogspot.com/...i-like-it.html

vivfox 12-28-2009 09:13 AM

Kaki King's childhood passions were the drums and Brit-pop, and she figured if she ever made it big it would be because of her skills behind the kit. However, her musical talents didn't stop there: she also played the guitar, and though she learned Beatles and Fleetwood Mac songbooks, she found herself drawn to the styles of Preston Reed and Michael Hedges. Moving from Atlanta to New York to attend college, King got her first taste of solo guitar performance thanks to campus open-mike nights, and upon graduation in 2001 she decided to pursue the instrument more seriously. She started playing in subways, a venue that helped her develop her percussive technique, and when passengers would ask her if she had CDs, she realized that she could possibly make a living as a musician.

http://baistophe.blogspot.com/2009/1...ng-abo321.html

vivfox 12-29-2009 12:26 AM

Fleetwood Mac did a ton of great songs that over the yrs have Bcome Classic Rock Radio faves, even if they were never hits 2 Bgin w/ -- "The Chain," "Landslide," "Songbird," etc. But where's the airplay & recognition 4 greats like "I Know I'm Not Wrong," "The Farmer's Daughter," "Wish You Were Here," "World Turning," "Silver Springs," "Isn't it Midnight?," "Tango in the Night," etc....

http://tadsbackupplan.blogspot.com/2...been-hits.html

vivfox 12-29-2009 10:08 PM

Colbie Caillat
By ladybugg
He co- produced two of the biggest albums in history, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors and Tusks. Ken Caillat now runs his own record label. She learned a lot about music from Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. When Colbie was 11 she wanted to pursue ...
Bob Marley Shirts - http://www.bobmarleyshirts.net/

vivfox 12-29-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 862636)
Colbie Caillat
By ladybugg
He co- produced two of the biggest albums in history, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors and Tusks. Ken Caillat.

That probably should have been the name of the album considering it was a two record set.

michelej1 12-29-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 862637)
That probably should have been the name of the album considering it was a two record set.

And that there were 3 men in the band.

Michele

michelej1 12-30-2009 08:41 PM

From an article about a remodeled bungalow:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n1.e43811.html

Specifically, leopard-print-upholstered walls, a garden trellis-clad foyer, even an eye-popping tangerine dining room with green brocade drapes bedazzled in hand-sewn felt flowers.

Put another way, McKinley and Nussbaumer are Buckingham-Nicks in this home-decorator version of Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy."

vivfox 12-30-2009 11:15 PM

Monday evening, an 80-year-old Staten Island man, apparently jaywalking, stepped in front of a jitney on Pacific Avenue and was killed.

So why am I telling you this? Well, something struck me about the quote we had from Joseph Taranto’s daughter. “My dad loved Atlantic City,” she said. “He came down at least four times a week.”

No complaining, no demands for restitution, justice or some kind of explanation for the unexplainable. Just this: “My dad loved Atlantic City.”

Thank God for 80-year-old guys from Staten Island who love Atlantic City. They might not be the most exciting demographic in casino marketers’ eyes — but to borrow a line from an old Fleetwood Mac song, they built this city.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/b...cc4c002e0.html

vivfox 12-30-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 862888)
but to borrow a line from an old Fleetwood Mac song, they built this city.

Sara, Sara, storms are brewing in your eyes...

vivfox 12-30-2009 11:29 PM

This is the old Neve mixing board( at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, CA) that’s been installed since 1972. I had a heady moment on our first day in the studio, looking down on the board and seeing all the numbers rubbed off these faders with age, and thinking about all the famous hands and records that contributed to that. Then I started thinking about how much of Stevie Nicks’s stash probably fell into the fader pots. Then I went to find a straw.

http://www.jroddy.net/2009/12/30/ste...91405-edition/

vivfox 01-01-2010 01:05 AM

'World Turning' - Fleetwood Mac
Posted by The Archivist on December 31, 2009

As the world prepares to finish one more revolution around the sun, here is World Turning by Fleetwood Mac, which comes in at spot #481 on the 1991 Firecracker 500 ...

World Turning appeared on the band's self-titled album of 1975 which, unlike many albums bearing a band's name was hardly their first. In fact, it wasn't even their first eponymous album. That had been released in 1968.

It says a lot for the album's staying power that World Turning made the Firecracker 500 even though it wasn't one of the three Top 20 singles launched by the LP (those would be Rhiannon, Say You Love Me, and Over My Head). Of course, it says even more about the album's staying power that it managed to hang around on the charts for nearly a year before finally making it to the #1 spot, a record that would stand for 14 years until broken by Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl.

It was also the album that catapulted Fleetwood Mac from music stardom to true music super-stardom, with more than a little of that fact attributable to the appearance of Lindey Buckingham as the group's guitarist, and Stevie Nicks as its new vocalist.

http://www.wnew.com/2009/12/video-cl...twood-mac.html

vivfox 01-01-2010 01:06 AM

Thursday, December 31, 2009
35 years ago today over Mexican food, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie and John McVie invite Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to join Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham and Nicks accept the offer, which turns out to be a good move for all five of them.

http://dreamsong14.blogspot.com/2009...ago-today.html

vivfox 01-05-2010 12:10 AM

so much to tell you: just relax
By zoe
Mine were glorious: I turned 25, received amazing gifts, saw Fleetwood Mac, drank champagne, lazed at the beach in the sunshine, rode bikes, read Kafka on the Shore and didn't write a thing for two weeks. I hope your holiday break was ...
so much to tell you - http://www.somuchtotellyou.co.nz/

michelej1 01-05-2010 01:20 PM

From an American Songwriter Interview with Rickie Lee Jones [well, I think Stevie believes you can be like both Fleetwood Mac and Bob Dylan]:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...kie-lee-jones/
When you start a song, do you start with an intention of what the song is about?

I don’t think I ever do that. I think it’s always just coming out of me. I never know where it’s gonna go or what it’s gonna be. I don’t watch my process, but I probably write a line or two and then know where I’m gonna go right away. Do I want to do a rhyme scheme or a rhythm thing, or do I want to write free verse? It will usually tell you a direction to go. And what the subject is will be revealed. But it doesn’t have the conscious in it. I just get out of my way—following, not leading it, not thinking about it at all. I can take the pen and write you eight lines right now. When it’s done, it’ll probably make sense, rhyme, because the part just behind my consciousness knows just what it is doing. If my consciousness gets in the way, then that unconscious part goes, “OK, you take care of it.” [Laughs] And then my ego enters, and the flow stops. So I have to not guide it, but just trust that I know what I’m doing. And again, not bothering with it.

Like “Bonfires” was about 12 verses. There were a lot of beautiful verses, but I felt that I was going to lose the impact. What I was thinking about when I wrote that was Bob Dylan’s first record. I was thinking of how he played his guitar. This is where I am right now; it’s simple. And that’s how I wanted to deliver it. I didn’t want it to be like Fleetwood Mac; I wanted to be like Dylan. Knowing there’s no other way to survive heartbreak than to give love.

vivfox 01-07-2010 06:20 PM

I would LOVE to have a CD of this!

On Maui for the holidays, Alice just rang in the New Year at Mala Wailea at a benefit show which also featured an incendiary performance by the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, joined by British blues legend John Mayall, and members of Nickelback.

"It's become a tradition to do that show, and it's always great to turn something like that into a charity event," he notes. "These people are here already, so why not put them to work."

Backed by Mick Fleetwood on drums, Rick Vito on guitar and vocals, bassist Lenny Castellanos, keyboardist Mark Johnstone, and Eric Gilliom and Gretchen Rhodes of Island Rumours on vocals, Alice belted out his classic hits "Schools Out" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy."

"Mick Fleetwood is such a great drummer," he continues. "You forget Fleetwood Mac was a real rock band and he was one of the best drummers out there, and Rick's a great blues guitar player. And then you have John Mayall come up, how great is that?"

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...id/527436.html

vivfox 01-08-2010 11:50 AM

More Fleetwood Mac

Although the band covers rock music from the 1960s through today, the Mood Swings now performs five songs from the Fleetwood Mac repertoire.

“While we are not a Fleetwood Mac cover band,” Sweeney observed, “we do have somewhat of a Fleetwood Mac ‘cult’ following, and we have many fans that come from far away to sing and dance along with these songs.”

Two of the Fleetwood Mac songs the band has performed in its earliest sets are “Rhiannon” and “Gold Dust Woman.” Now the band has added “Dreams,” “Second Hand News” and “Gypsy” to its set list.

“I feel that lead singer Beth Turkel’s rendition of ‘Gypsy’ is fabulous and betters the Stevie Nicks version,” Sweeney remarked.

“Several songs that Beth sings are show stoppers,” Sweeney enthused, “such as the Beatles’ ‘Ticket to Ride,’ Creedence Clearwater’s ‘Proud Mary’ and Todd Rundgren’s ‘I Saw The Light (In Your Eyes)’.”

http://www.recordernewspapers.com/ar...a748445915.txt

vivfox 01-08-2010 09:20 PM

For those interested, this book (written by Cath Carroll) has a nicely detailed account of the (tumultuous?) making of the Rumours album, including some good descriptions of the sessions and studios at the Record Plant in Sausalito:

Sample passage (writer John Grissim describing the attempts of a female agent vying for management of the band):

After a few minutes of conversation, John McVie shows up, and I introduce them, explained who she was. And she said to John, "Would you like a line?" And she brings out this Tiffany silver- it was like a bolt- and she unscrewed the top and produced a small mirror and lays out this really good quality line. And she produces a four-inch long, top of the line Tiffany silver straw, and she hands it to John, who says "Thank you very much" and he snorts the line. He's holding his nostril and she looks at him and says, "Now that I've turned you on, I'd like to hit you up for mangement." He laughed so hard he snorted the coke out of his nose.

ah, the 70's.

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=6&p=1051309

vivfox 01-11-2010 10:24 AM

Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac
January 11, 2010 by Andrew Watt
Filed under Song Of The Day

This is probably the song that best defines the phenomenon that Fleetwood Mac became in 1977 with the release of Rumours. Written by Lindsay Buckingham, it wasn’t their biggest hit although it probably wasn’t far away from it.

It opens apologetically with the line “Loving you isn’t the right thing to do” and in so doing encapsulates the sexual and emotional politics that had entwined the band. You can almost visualise the members casting knowing looks at each other as they perform the song.

Musically it’s an absolute tour de force with each member contributing essential ingredients. It’s a Buckingham lead vocal but the harmonies of Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie are what provides the song with its angst. It’s a great Mick Fleetwood drum track – his incessant and tribal beat serves as the driver for the song. But more importantly it sends the message that this machine has a momentum now that cant be stopped – no matter how many hearts are being left broken in its wake.

Buckingham’s lead guitar is also perfect for the song. He teases the lead break and when he does almost reluctantly takes centre stage he provides a few bars of almost pained playing that underlines the tension in the song.

In 1977 when adults were openly questioning the relevance of concepts like fidelity this song became more than a chart topping hit – it became the catalyst for an examination of relationships – its little wonder Fleetwood Mac was so right for that time.

http://www.heyheymymy.com.au/2010/01...fleetwood-mac/

vivfox 01-11-2010 10:25 AM

Finally got the Christmas tree down today. As much fun as it is to anticipate putting the tree up and delighting in its warm holiday glow, it’s always feels good to take it down and reclaim that part of the house for regular activity.

Last night we put a slew of Fleetwood Mac on the CD turntable: “Fleetwood Mac”, “Rumours”, “Tusk”, “Mirage”, and “Tango In The Night”. We were all bopping around to those classic sounds. The Buckingham/Nicks incarnation of the Mac was a damned fine band for a lot of years.

Found out today that April 26th is the date I’ll be received into the Roman Catholic Church. Now there’s something to look forward to!

Boy, the New England Patriots looked like crap against the Baltimore Ravens today. And that Green Bay-Arizona game was wild. No one seemed to be able to play defense throughout that one.

I’m picking an Indianapolis / Dallas Super

http://goodboysnation.com/2010/01/11...-two-or-three/

vivfox 01-11-2010 10:28 AM

Now I wanna talk about Tusk.

Fleetwood Mac bared all their neuroses on Rumours, an album that was a mix of California pop and Buckingham's guitar rave ups. It sold, at last count, 5 copies for each person who has ever lived in the history of this planet.

How did they follow that up? Tusk.

Tusk is one of the most uncompromising (and expensive) double albums of all time, with little of the pop that made Rumours ubiquitous. Lindsey Buckingham described the process of recording it as finding out what sounded good, taking a note of where all the dials were and then tuning them 180 degrees. The resulting album was called everything under the sun and lost a lot of the fans they won with their previous outing. It's also a remarkably under-rated album that still sounds ahead of its time today.

What came next: Mirage and Tango in the Night, albums that took the sound experiments of Tusk and married to them Rumours. People called it a "return" when both were still miles ahead of what Fleetwood Mac had been doing before, but because of Tusk they sounded safer.

http://www.gvalentinoisrandom.com/20...s-of-leon.html

vivfox 01-11-2010 07:42 PM

Monday, January 11, 2010
In Juxtaposition

Okay, thank you those of you that agree that Landslide is really a beautiful and poignant song and that it is ok to reveal oneself. However, in juxtaposition to the previous heartfelt post, I am going to add one about those musicians that have signature songs like Landslide. I watched an interview with Stevie Nicks and she was so filled with poise and graciousness for her fans and said she absolutely did not mind singing Landslide and Songbird and all the old favorites. She just appreciated the love and how great it was to travel to new cities and play for people.

On the other hand, I recently read a quote form Robert Plant, speaking to the same subject of signature songs, the imfamous Stairway to Heaven.

(Led Zepplin) "...would possibly be back together if it weren't for 'that bloody wedding song,' as Robert Plant refers to 'Stairway.' He told the Los Angeles Times in 1988, 'I'd break out in hives if I had to sing that song in every show. I wrote those lyrics and found that song to be of some importance and consequence in 1971, but 17 years later, I don't know. It's just not for me.'

I love that. I love that sometimes we look back on the things that meant so much to us and think For God's Sake, how? And other times, like Landslide, they still take us to those feelings so real.

PS - I happen to still love Stairway to Heaven if randomly heard.

http://tocarefororphans.blogspot.com...aposition.html

silvasprings 01-12-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 864844)
she absolutely did not mind singing Landslide and Songbird and all the old favorites.

'Cause you know, Stevie just breaks out into SONGBIRD whenever she gets a chance! i think its hilarious that your average un-obsessed FM fan can't distinguish between christine's songs and Stevie's:laugh: :distress:

vivfox 01-12-2010 10:51 PM

Music: fit for a Prince

Jan 12, 2010

Britain's Prince William and Harry played tracks by Duffy, Fleetwood Mac and Bryan Ferry to stop them getting bored while having their picture painted.

Artist Nicky Philipps - who recently created the first double portrait of the princes - has revealed how she made the pair listen to a selection of her favourite records when they posed for her in military uniform.

She told Hello! magazine: "I didn't know what sort of music they liked. So I played some Duffy and music from my own era, like Fleetwood Mac and Bryan Ferry. I don't know if they enjoyed it but they didn't look bored. Some people's eyes glaze over when they sit for long period but they were very polite. Doing the portrait was great fun."

Nicky spent more than six months painting the princes during five sittings, which started in August 2008.

During this time, she admits the royal pair were desperate to sneak a peek at her progress.

She said: "They often wanted to peek at the progress of the painting and it was difficult, because I was doing it in different stages.

"When I gave them a private view of the painting just before Christmas they said they liked it very much."

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/pe...rtrait-boredom