The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mick Fleetwood touring with his blues band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56196)

michelej1 05-10-2017 04:40 PM

Mick Fleetwood and Hunter Hayes Prepare to Rock the Malibu Guitar Festival

MAY 5, 2017 – 2:53 PM – 0 COMMENTS by Nancy Berk for Parade

https://parade.com/568396/nancyberk/...itar-festival/

Just when you needed a tried-and-true music festival to believe in, the Malibu Guitar Festival (presented by D’Angelico Guitars) kicks off its third year of guitar celebration this month. The May 18-21 event features live performances from legends, superstars and upcoming artists-to-watch with a cross-genre and cross-generational mix that is a true nod to the power of music and great guitar playing.

Says festival founder Doug Deluca, “The iconography of the guitar and the backdrop of Malibu are a perfect combination for this beautiful event inspired by a passion for music and a love of community. The artists and supporters that have come together will ensure the event’s success and growth well into the future.”

I caught up with Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend Mick Fleetwood, who along with his Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, will headline the event, to find out more about what has drawn the musician and iconic drummer to this unique festival.

“Well it’s been a long time coming,” said the Fleetwood Mac co-founder who lived in Malibu for many years before moving to Maui. “Most of my life in LA, mostly was in various places out in Malibu, so it’s a sort of coming home festival as well.”

Fleetwood is happy about bringing his band and their guitar power to the party. “The band features Rick Vito on guitar, who had a short tenure with Fleetwood Mac many years ago, and is a hugely talented blues guitar player and very, very well-known for his slide playing. He’s just a brilliant guitar player. We’re going to have a lot of fun, and I’ll be happy to be back in Malibu where I lived for many, many years.”

In addition to Fleetwood, the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band and Hunter Hayes, Main Festival Day (May 20, 2017) performers include Jamtown, Tommy Emmanuel, Kenneth Brian Band, Soft White Sixties, Buzz Wizzards, Duane Betts & The Pistaleers, Zack Zotos, Michael John Hayes, Hollis Brown, Lenny Goldsmith & The New Old and Mrs. Gill.

Part of the excitement of the MGF lies in the player-fan enthusiasm for the guitar-intensive event and the unexpected musical magic that often happens from having so much talent “in the room”.

Says Fleetwood, “Apart from the actual bands that are playing, I know that there’s a lot of jamming around quite often. And no one ever quite knows how and what that’s gonna be.”

It is that collaborative and music-intensive element that has country music favorite and double-platinum selling artist Hunter Hayes even more excited about participating in the MGF.

“We’ve never really had the chance to play something like this,” says Hayes, who is also looking forward to the learning component of the experience. “As a guitar player that studies a lot of other guitar players, and has for a long time, I mean, this is a whole new opportunity for me. We’ve gotten to play a lot of awesome shows and all kinds of festivals and stuff, but, just the talk of this has got me really excited.”

Hayes will also perform at MGF’s Opening Night Benefit which will launch the event and include plenty of celebrity superstars and classic performances.

Perhaps at the core of MGF’s popularity is the synergy that happens from having a shared, meaningful, musical experience marked by great talent and an overwhelming presence of appreciation.

Explains Fleetwood, who has been to plenty of musical celebrations in his celebrated career, “Very often at festivals, as with this, there’s a whole litany of different talent from different spheres of music, and that’s what makes these things very often exciting, for the listener and often—more than often—to us up on stage. Because someone who’s gone on somewhat of a little pilgrimage, or sometimes a huge pilgrimage, to actually get to some of these things, you know that they really love the whole experience. And therefore you [the performers] are quietly aware that that dynamic exists.”