The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Behind the mask (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=7323)

Mac Fan 09-26-2002 01:37 PM

Behind the mask

Is this album worth getting? I thought about getting it last Saturday, but ended up getting Time, just to see whether it was any good.

macfan 57 09-26-2002 02:25 PM

Behind the Mask is a very good album and is definitely worth getting. My favorite songs on the album are When The Sun Goes Down and the title track, Behind The Mask. In my opinion, it's a lot better than Time.

Michele 09-26-2002 06:19 PM

Two thumbs up for Behind the Mask!!! :D

A DEFINITE must for your collection! The songs are fantastic!!!

There's this one guy that sings on there, I think his name is Billy Burnette...maybe you've heard of him?:laugh: He is AWESOME!!!

Go back and get it before it's gone! Let us know what you think too!

Michele :wavey:

Street_Dreamer 09-26-2002 09:36 PM

You definately would have been better off getting BTM instead of Time. BTM is really an awesome album :) Go get it next time! :)

Matt

David 09-27-2002 10:31 AM

Re: Behind the mask

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Fan
Is this album worth getting? I thought about getting it last Saturday, but ended up getting Time, just to see whether it was any good.
It's not a favorite of mine -- I find it lacks conviction, the perspective on the songs is so formulaic, & all in all is just not terrifically bracing or rewarding -- but by all means check it out if you're curious. Any album is always "worth getting" if you feel like hearing something new, particularly an album like "Behind the Mask," about which opinion seems to be divided.

chiliD 09-27-2002 11:20 AM

ANY album by Fleetwood Mac is worth getting!!!

"Behind The Mask" isn't one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac albums (as a whole), either, but it DOES have a few of my favorite Fleetwood Mac SONGS:

In The Back Of My Mind
Do You Know?
When The Sun Goes Down
Save Me

Plus, it's the only full album with Rick Vito & Billy Burnette as members...it's just too bad that the album didn't really reflect how good this incarnation was compared to how they came off live. They had SO much untapped potential, it's a shame that they only did one album together.

David 09-27-2002 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chiliD
"Behind The Mask" isn't one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac albums (as a whole), either, but it DOES have a few of my favorite Fleetwood Mac SONGS:

In The Back Of My Mind
Do You Know?
When The Sun Goes Down
Save Me

"When the Sun" is probably the album's high point for me. They ran through that one a couple of times live, too -- up at Cal Expo in Sacramento. Nice, bright & chirpy.

My Japanese students all liked it the best from Fleetwood Mac, oddly enough.

Mac Fan 09-28-2002 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Michele

Go back and get it before it's gone! Let us know what you think too!

I won't be able to get until at least Noivember, or even Christmas, but I will tell u what I think when I get it.

Cristian 09-28-2002 12:46 PM

Behind The Mask is a very good album.

At some points you get the feeling that they are losing the perspective, but you also get to hear more collaborations between members of the band (see the credits: Nicks/Vito, Vito/Burnette, McVie/Burnette) which is something we hadn't seen before and makes it insteresting.

Another good thing is that in almost every song you get the feeling that Fleetwood Mac at that point was a band with four very good singers. Stevie is heard amongst almost each and every track, and, taking "In The Back Of My Mind" as an example, I hear Billy's, Stevie's and Christine's voices singing lead, not all together necessarily. I suppose that feeling of collaboration was something that they never had (at this level at least) in the Rumours incarnation. Of course there is friendship and everything, but at this moment I think the band was confused enough with Lindsey's departure that these collaborations and "team spirit" were something naturally born, that makes the album get richer and richer. Of all of the four songwriters, only Christine shines, though, with all of her offerings ("Skies The Limit", "Save Me", "Behind The Mask" and "Do You Know") being fantastic high points. While Stevie gets applauses for "Affairs Of The Heart" and "The Second Time", I don't quite like "Freedom"... Rick is only 'allowed' to do three songs... his own "Stand On The Rock" which is pretty cool; the "Love Is Dangerous" collaboration with Stevie; and the "When The Sun Goes Down" collaboration with Billy. Mr.Burnette does a good job in his own "In The Back Of My Mind" (a very interesting track with weird sound effects) and in his collaboration with Christine ("Do You Know") and "Hard Feelings".

Overall, a good album, not the best from the band, but anyway something worth getting.

Song of the moment - In The Back Of My Mind

Johnny Stew 09-29-2002 01:58 PM

I picked up 'Behind The Mask' the day of its release, and played it non-stop for months... and, to this day, it's still an album I listen to a lot (Have it playing right now, in fact).

At the time, I was thrilled that Fleetwood Mac recorded an album with a little more of a rock and roll feel. 'Tango In The Night' was an awesome album, but it was very "pop"... so the harder edge of 'Behind The Mask' was very exciting at the time.

In hindsight, i wish the production had been a little brighter, and not so murky sounding... but that's only a minor quibble.

There are a lot of highlights to be found there, and a great number of songs stand up quite well next to Fleetwood Mac's more well-known songs.
"Save Me," "Freedom," and "In The Back Of My Mind," are my main favorites.
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with "Do You Know" though. Sometimes I can listen, and enjoy it on certain levels... but most times I just find it downright boring.
Conversely, I'm very fond of "The Second Time," and I think it made an excellent closer for the album... though I realize that it's not a favorite of very many people.
But I guess we can't all love *every* song. :)

Speaking of favorites....
Quote:

Originally posted by David "When the Sun" is probably the album's high point for me.
My Japanese students all liked it the best from Fleetwood Mac, oddly enough.

I remember the host of the Japanese show Sound Gig also citing "When The Sun Goes Down" as his favorite from the album.
It's interesting that it was this song in particular that they responded to.

Johnny Stew

Cristian 10-02-2002 08:59 PM

Re: The Second Time

Quote:

Originally posted by thewhitewingedd
But...I liked it from the start...I actually always kind of thought of it as being a sister song to Landslide...(DUCKS TO AVOID BEING SLAPPED:p
If anything, this one and Christine's "All Over Again", from Time are sister songs... To me they both are their personal way or saying goodbye to the band.. Stevie in her own ethereal way, and Christine more clear, showing all the love in her heart and letting it flow oustide. :) I really like "The Second Time", by the way. :)

Song Of The Moment - In The Back Of My Mind

chiliD 10-03-2002 02:00 PM

Quote:

I have noticed that many people rank The Second Time as being the worst song on Behind The Mask

And, some (myself included) rank it as either THE worst Fleetwood Mac song of all, or #2 in that category (behind "When You Say")

Johnny Stew 10-03-2002 02:05 PM

chili... you forgot Christine's "One More Night"!
:)

Johnny Stew

Mac Fan 10-03-2002 02:34 PM

I like 'When you say'

David 10-03-2002 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Fan
I like 'When you say'
Conversely, I say "When You Like."
When I like, you say.

Say, you, like, when? ...again?