The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why Bob Should Be in the RARHOF (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53390)

welcomechris 03-15-2014 05:01 PM

Why Bob Should Be in the RARHOF

Bob’s Biggest Hit

Sentimental Lady Has Reached One Milllion Six Hundred Thirty-Four Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-Two [1634272] Views on YouTube! Sentimental Lady has been covered by Various Artists over 100 Times. It has been on Popular Soundtracks Including ‘Remember Me’ and ‘Grown Ups’. Sentimental Lady reached #8 on the Billboard Charts and gave the world the true definition of “Classic Rock”.

In 1978 Bob Welch & Friends some from Fleetwood Mac Performed at Cal Jam II

Bob Performed Some of his Best Songs from Fleetwood Mac, Paris, and His New Solo Career. He was joined on stage by Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, and Mick Fleetwood. He Performed the hits “Hypnotized”, “Sentimental Lady”, and “Ebony Eyes” and 5 Other Songs.

He Spent 3 Years With Fleetwood Mac

Bob Also Convinced the band to move to L.A. which later introduced Buckingham Nicks to Mick Fleetwood. He Was on the Fleetwood Mac albums:

*Future Games (1971) - #91 (Billboard Top 200)

*Bare Trees (1972) - #70 (Billboard Top 200)
- Sentimental Lady - FM Radio Hit

*Penguin (1973) - #49 (Billboard Top 200)

*Mystery To Me (1973) - #67 (Billboard Top 200)
- Hypnotized - FM Radio Hit

*Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974) - #34 (Billboard Top 200)

Bob Welch Charts

Bob Welch: Mainstream Rock 1982

“It’s What Ya Don’t Say” - #45

Bob Welch “The Hot 100”

“Church” - #73
“Precious Love” - #19
“Hot Love, Cold World” - #31
“Ebony Eyes” - #14
“Sentimental Lady” - #8

Bob Welch “Top 200”

French Kiss - #12
Three Hearts - #20

Paris Charts

Paris Top 200

Big Towne, 2061 - #152
Paris - #103

SteveMacD 03-15-2014 05:30 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0a/0a28...f1992d899f.jpg

Yep.

welcomechris 03-16-2014 07:25 AM

(continued)

On October 4, 2000 "Future Games" (1971 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Gold!

On February 9, 1988 "Bare Trees" (1972 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Platinum!

On November 9, 1976 "Mystery To Me" (1973 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Gold!

On February 23, 1979 "Three Hearts" (1979 Bob Welch Album) Went Gold!

On May 1, 1978 "French Kiss" (1977 Bob Welch Album) Went Platinum!

In Australia and New Zealand "25 Years: The Chain" (1992 Fleetwood Mac Box Set) Went Platinum!

In The United Kingdom "25 Years: The Chain" Went Silver!

welcomechris 03-16-2014 07:41 AM

(continued)

Welch was part of 7 Singles with Fleetwood Mac

One Radio Hit Fleetwood Mac and Bob Welch Had Called "Hypnotized" was Covered by Pointer Sisters in 1978 and by Sweet Baby J'ai in 2003.

In 2009, Sentimental Lady was covered by Valley Lodge on their second album Semester at Sea.

Bob's Music Still Gets Radio Airplay on FM Radio's Classic Rock Stations.

SteveMacD 03-16-2014 09:10 AM

Look, the whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing is a joke to begin with.

Randy Bachman isn't in the HOF, either. He wrote These Eyes, Undone, Laughing, No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, No Time, American Woman, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, Taking Care Of Business, Let It Roll, and Let It Ride. He's not in, but Madonna and Abba are. THAT'S the organization people seem to be wasting a lot of time and a emotional energy trying to get Bob into.

Did Bob get screwed out of this moment of glory? Absolutely. He was completely disrespected. But nothing will bring that back. Even if he was inducted, they would do it quietly and just tack him on as a member of Fleetwood Mac. There would be no major public ceremony or announcement about it. Maybe a press release, and that's about all. The happy moment of glory has already passed.

I'm more upset that Bob era records are not available on iTunes and that Fleetwood Mac seems to be glossing over his time in the band more and more. THAT'S something that is legitimate cause for concern. No offense, but I'd quit wasting time on this joke of an organization that already has lost most of it's credibility within popular culture, and work harder fighting for Bob's legacy with in Fleetwood Mac. That's what people will remember years from now.

welcomechris 03-16-2014 09:16 AM

I Agree!

I'll Never Understand Why Bob didn't get in.

Sadly, Bob Has Gotten more attention after he died.

welcomechris 03-16-2014 10:10 AM

2729804 Views on YouTube for Ebony Eyes

welcomechris 03-16-2014 12:33 PM

Wendy Welch: What You've Been Waiting For...

I Made A Induct Bob into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Facebook Page

It has the Same link to the Petition Page on http://bobwelch.com

Here is the link to the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Induc...00419283443959

Here is the link to the petition for those of you who don't you facebook. http://www.petitiononline.com/bobwelch/petition.html

welcomechris 03-16-2014 12:34 PM

Post 1

Sentimental Lady Has Reached One Milllion Six Hundred Thirty-Four Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-Two [1634272] Views on YouTube! Sentimental Lady has been covered by Various Artists over 100 Times. It has been on Popular Soundtracks Including ‘Remember Me’ and ‘Grown Ups’. Sentimental Lady reached #8 on the Billboard Charts and gave the world the true definition of “Classic Rock”.

In 1978 Bob Welch & Friends some from Fleetwood Mac Performed at Cal Jam II

Bob Performed Some of his Best Songs from Fleetwood Mac, Paris, and His New Solo Career. He was joined on stage by Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, and Mick Fleetwood. He Performed the hits “Hypnotized”, “Sentimental Lady”, and “Ebony Eyes” and 5 Other Songs.

He Spent 3 Years With Fleetwood Mac

Bob Also Convinced the band to move to L.A. which later introduced Buckingham Nicks to Mick Fleetwood. He Was on the Fleetwood Mac albums:

*Future Games (1971) - #91 (Billboard Top 200)

*Bare Trees (1972) - #70 (Billboard Top 200)
- Sentimental Lady - FM Radio Hit

*Penguin (1973) - #49 (Billboard Top 200)

*Mystery To Me (1973) - #67 (Billboard Top 200)
- Hypnotized - FM Radio Hit

*Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974) - #34 (Billboard Top 200)

Bob Welch Charts

Bob Welch: Mainstream Rock 1982

“It’s What Ya Don’t Say” - #45

Bob Welch “The Hot 100”

“Church” - #73
“Precious Love” - #19
“Hot Love, Cold World” - #31
“Ebony Eyes” - #14
“Sentimental Lady” - #8

Bob Welch “Top 200”

French Kiss - #12
Three Hearts - #20

Paris Charts

Paris Top 200

Big Towne, 2061 - #152
Paris - #103

On October 4, 2000 "Future Games" (1971 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Gold!

On February 9, 1988 "Bare Trees" (1972 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Platinum!

On November 9, 1976 "Mystery To Me" (1973 Fleetwood Mac Album) Went Gold!

On February 23, 1979 "Three Hearts" (1979 Bob Welch Album) Went Gold!

On May 1, 1978 "French Kiss" (1977 Bob Welch Album) Went Platinum!

In Australia and New Zealand "25 Years: The Chain" (1992 Fleetwood Mac Box Set) Went Platinum!

In The United Kingdom "25 Years: The Chain" Went Silver!

Welch was part of 7 Singles with Fleetwood Mac

One Radio Hit Fleetwood Mac and Bob Welch Had Called "Hypnotized" was Covered by Pointer Sisters in 1978 and by Sweet Baby J'ai in 2003.

In 2009, Sentimental Lady was covered by Valley Lodge on their second album Semester at Sea.

Bob's Music Still Gets Radio Airplay on FM Radio's Classic Rock Stations.

Bob's 1977 Hit "Ebony Eyes" 2729804 Views on YouTube

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Induc...00419283443959

welcomechris 03-16-2014 12:35 PM

A Picture of Bob Is Also Up

elle 03-16-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1122422)
Look, the whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing is a joke to begin with.

i just listened to the radio interview with Gene Simmons the other day and he was complaining about their induction and who was invited as a member of Kiss, and who wasn't. so it looks like the band may want certain people to be inducted, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily gonna happen; although i guess maybe it depends on who knows who and who's trying to pull the strings. this article basically sums up what Gene Simmons was saying in that local radio interview:

Kiss star Gene Simmons explains why band won't play at Hall of Fame
By Justin Harp
Friday, Mar 14 2014, 11:43pm EDT

Kiss star Gene Simmons has explained why the band will not perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

The 'Calling Dr Love' band have been announced as inductees this year, alongside Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt, Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens and Hall & Oates.

ACM Awards 2012: Gene Simmons, Eric Singer, Tommy Thayer and Paul Stanley, of musical group KISS
© PA Images / Isaac Brekken/AP

It was later announced that Kiss would not perform, amid rumors that Simmons and Paul Stanley did not want to play with original members Peter Criss and Ace Frehley.

Simmons offered an explanation for the decision during an interview with Entertainment Weekly Radio.

"Paul and I got on the phone and called Ace and Peter," he recalled. "[We said] 'Hey, congratulations. It was an honor to stand alongside you then and we'll be proud to stand alongside of you at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to accept the award'."

The star continued: "And they were gracious and happy and God bless, and all of that, and we went off our separate ways. And then we found out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will only be honoring the original lineup with Ace, Peter, Paul and myself, and we said, 'Oh okay, then we won't be playing there. We'll just accept the award. Thank you very much'.

"And they go, 'What are you talking about?' and I said, 'Well, you have a group like the Eagles who continue to be our contemporaries… and every member that has ever been in the Eagles has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"But you're only gonna honor the first lineup that was together for seven years? We've been around 40 years. Tommy [Thayer] and Eric [Singer] have been in the band 20 years - two and a half times longer than Ace and Peter."

He concluded: "You're going to slap them in the face and we're supposed to get you a sandwich and make sure you burp at 9.00 at night and get up on stage and do it? No, that's not going to happen."

This year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony will be held on April 10 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2w9QdkLx8
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

michelej1 03-16-2014 02:50 PM

^Yes, when I read about this and listened to it being discussed on the radio, I certainly thought of FM and it helped confirm for me what the RRHOF controls and what the band's involvement in the induction process is.

Michele

SteveMacD 03-16-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1122452)
^Yes, when I read about this and listened to it being discussed on the radio, I certainly thought of FM and it helped confirm for me what the RRHOF controls and what the band's involvement in the induction process is.

But then look at the Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia insisted everybody who was ever a member of the band be inducted, which happened, and then he promptly skipped the ceremony.

chiliD 03-16-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1122458)
But then look at the Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia insisted everybody who was ever a member of the band be inducted, which happened, and then he promptly skipped the ceremony.

And, therefore.....

......Donna Jean Godchaux is IN, Bob Welch isn't. :mad: 'Nuff said.

Or, maybe not....:shrug:

....Jann Wenner is a self-absorbed in-bred dickhead. :nod:

mzero 03-16-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1122461)

....Jann Wenner is a self-absorbed in-bred dickhead. :nod:

agreed. who doesn't know squat about music. rock and roll especially

great standup routine on the other thread cd

z

Mr Scarrott 03-16-2014 05:10 PM

And the Rolling Stones made sure that Ian Stewart got inducted, too.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/the-rolling-stones/bio/

Clearly, Bob Welch was done an insulting disservice- the band could have ensured that he was inducted. Had the lawsuit not happened, then I'm sure he would have been in.

But there is one countervailing view that amuses me slightly, from the late Bob Weston, in his Q & A , here on the Penguin.

I don't have an opinion on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. Of course it's great to be recognised; who wants to be ignored? (Only the famous, perhaps :).) I don't understand the method of selection, or the Hall of Fame's significance. Does one get a wax effigy, like Mme Tussauds? :)

It's a bit of a Groucho Marx response, I guess.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...110&Itemid=127 it's 3 questions from the bottom of the page.

Mr Scarrott 03-16-2014 05:27 PM

Just spotted, earlier on in the Q & A, Weston is asked:

7) How do you feel about being omitted from the Fleetwood Mac RRHOF roster?

He replies

Q7: RRHOF: until you mentioned it, I hadn't given it a second thought :). Perhaps you should ask Mick Fleetwood. But would he give you an answer?

moon 03-16-2014 11:18 PM

Personally, I think BOTH Bobs must be included. We can discuss if Bob Welch must enter as a FM member or for his solo career or both, but, FM was a big group, and I think that members like Bob Weston and Bob Welch would be included. And we can discuss if Rick Vito and Billy Burnette are on the same situation and if they must be included too...
Regards!
Mark.

michelej1 03-16-2014 11:31 PM

[Bob and FM mentioned in LA Times article]

KISS guitarist, drummer join list of snubs by rock hall of fame

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#ixzz2wBumDusO

By Mike Boehm March 16, 2014, 3:45 p.m., Los Angeles Times

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of the rock band KISS have long cherished living in aggrieved opposition to critics who they have felt failed to respect Kiss' heavy metal oeuvre, and the band's impending induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn’t changing their tune.

Stanley recently complained to the Associated Press that KISS was being given short shrift by the rock hall because two members of the current four-man lineup, lead guitarist Eric Singer and drummer Tommy Thayer, aren’t going to be hall of famers, even though they “have been in the band for decades and played on multiplatinum albums and toured the world.”

Instead, original drummer Peter Criss and original lead guitarist Ace Frehley, who were part of KISS’ 1970s ascension to stardom but exited in the early 1980s, will be inducted along with perennial frontmen Simmons and Stanley.

PHOTOS: Iconic rock guitars and their owners

Stanley groused to the AP that “we have continuing issues with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, starting with the fact that they chose to induct the original lineup when that’s hardly the case with other bands.”

He cited as an example lyricist Robert Hunter’s inclusion when the Grateful Dead was inducted in 1994. To Stanley, Hunter is “a writer who never played an instrument.” Hunter, who wrote the lyrics for many of the Dead’s songs, especially those composed by Jerry Garcia, always was credited as a band member on the band’s album jackets.

The rock hall hasn’t been a model of consistency when it comes to non-original band members. In the case of the Grateful Dead, for example, its website lists four keyboard players among the inductees: original member Ron “Pigpen” McKernan and his successors, Keith Godchaux, Brent Mydland and Vince Welnick (of whom only Welnick, who died in 2006, lived to see the induction).

On the other hand, when Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998, singer-songwriter-guitarist Bob Welch, the first American to join the previously all-British band, and a mainstay of its middle period, was the odd man out. He was excluded, though the rock hall inducted three other former Mac singer-guitarists not named Lindsey Buckingham.

PHOTOS: Daughters of rock stars

“It basically comes down to the fact that they don’t like me anymore,” Welch, who died in 2012, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer around the time of the induction. “I could understand it if I had been a sideman for a year, but I was an integral part of that band.” Welch was a member of Fleetwood Mac for five albums during the early 1970s, including the acclaimed “Bare Trees,” helping to keep the band going until the mid-1970s arrival of Buckingham and Stevie Nicks catapulted it to superstardom.

When the Velvet Underground was inducted by the rock hall in 1996, only the four original members were included. Left out was Doug Yule, who had figured prominently on two of the band’s four canonical studio albums and on “1969: The Velvet Underground Live,” a strong double-LP issued several years after the group had disbanded.

Stanley told the Los Angeles Times recently that the impasse over not including Singer and Thayer meant that KISS would not perform at the coming induction ceremony. Elaborating in his interview with the AP, he said that the rock hall “tried to strong-arm us into playing in [the] original lineup. Their craving of nostalgia or for wanting to have us play by their rules in many ways jeopardizes what we have spent 40 years building…. Very clearly the tail doesn’t wag the dog, and KISS is a big dog, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a small tail.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#ixzz2wButhglE

becca 03-16-2014 11:58 PM

I liked Cat Stevens' music but Rock & Roll he's never been. Really... the so-called Hall Of Fame is to do with sales past, present and hoped for. For some Reason Bob Welch got on the wrong side of that, just like Bob Weston got on the wrong side of Mick Fleetwood (by getting on the right side of Jenny Boyd) and was kicked out after two albums... not even he would've said he should be included... Bob Brunning would've been more likely.

Doug Yule should have been included, great musician and person, I guess that makes him the Bob Welch of the Velvets. Maybe it was that Squeeze album without Lou? That is unforgivable though I'm not sure it was Doug's idea ever to call it a Velvet Underground album, although back then the group and it's name were barely revered by many.

That Hall (which is not Bob Hall) and it's secret masters/stakeholders mean squat to me.

wetcamelfood 03-17-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 1122524)
That is unforgivable though I'm not sure it was Doug's idea ever to call it a Velvet Underground album

Yup, that was all Sesnick.

John

SteveMacD 03-17-2014 05:02 PM

Still...I'm tempted from the fruit of another.

Wendy Welch 03-17-2014 09:50 PM

Reason Bob is not in the RRHOF

I know for a fact the reason that Bob Welch was not inducted in the RRHOF:blob2::blob1: Mick called me the day that Bob died before his body even left the house and I refused to talk to him unless he told me why. He said "It was Christine McVie" and I put my friend on the phone with Mick, Mike Lawson, who was there with me as the police were still in my home. She refused to go on stage if he was inducted. It was NOT the RRHOF, but Fleetwood Mac, John, Mick and Chris who kept him out. Mick would not stand up to Christine. She did it vindictively because she was going to show him that he couldn't do what she felt was unjust to her. and I have letters and other statements to prove her vindictiveness then and now. They sounded great together, but she was always jealous that he sold more solo albums than she did, and was angry with him for other unaceptable reasons. I saw that in her at dinner one night. She was a very jealous and non-loyal person, I feel. Very
Sincerely the Truth!!! Mike Lawson is on facebook and you can ask him yourself. He is extremely honorable and reputable as you will see if you care to look.

Also, thank you for finally talking about this. It still can be changed and Bob wanted this Very Much! Welcome Chris, thank you, but one correction, Bob was in the band for five years, not three, and Christine just joined the band the year before. He wrote and sang 1/2 the songs on five albums and played guitar and sang backup on all the songs on those five albums. What's wrong with this picture?

Wendy Welch 03-18-2014 12:16 AM

Call on Mick re: the RRHOF

Please fight for Bob and sign the papers to get him inducted and write Mick most of all. He doesn't want to be disliked for this, but he was the crucial person. After all, he told me, "it's not a matter of if, but when Bob is inducted. I do own the name Fleetwood Mac." So what has he done. Please ask him.:lol::lol::lol:

SteveMacD 03-18-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Welch (Post 1122582)
but one correction, Bob was in the band for five years, not three, and Christine just joined the band the year before. He wrote and sang 1/2 the songs on five albums and played guitar and sang backup on all the songs on those five albums. What's wrong with this picture?

Sorry Wendy, but Bob was only in Fleetwood Mac from summer 1971 through December 31, 1974. That's 3.5 years by my math. He did not sing 1/2 the songs on all of the albums he was on. It wasn't until Mystery To Me that he became the primary writer, and even then, Christine still had four songs on the albums. Also, I don't understand why Christine joining the band a year before (although, she'd been playing with them in the studio since 1968) is less important. They could have easily done a record with that band just based on what they were playing at that time, that got nixed after Jeremy quit. Christine's presence was in full force when Bob joined.

Did Bob get screwed in 1998? Yep. Will having him inducted now change anything? Nope. Realistically, if he gets inducted, he won't even get mentioned. They'd just silently tag him on to Fleetwood Mac. At this point, that's a fool's errand. If you want to fight for Bob's legacy, get his era's songs on iTunes and insist on keeping his legacy alive within Fleetwood Mac. People won't and don't care about the Hall. Hell, many of the inductees don't care about the Hall. The most important thing to focus on is Bob's body of work.

Wendy Welch 03-18-2014 09:42 PM

Bob did write 1/2 songs

Excuse me, but Bob did write or co write 1/2 the songs on the five albums he recorded with FM. The last one in 1975. Heroes are Hard to Find had 7 of the 10 songs written by him, two on the first, and the rest on the three inbetween albums. I did not say that he wrote 1/2 the songs on each album, just on the total number of cuts on all five albums. He did sing them as well. Let's not minimize his credentials.

Plus I am not fighting to get Bob in for your approval or your desire, but only because he card about it so much and was very hurt when he was left out. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion. But after 27 years of marriage, I KNOW what HE cared about.

Also, you might be interested to know that all of those albums are gold or platinum now. He was awarded Rock Radio Award for best new debut album of the year and Billboard Award for best new artist of the year in 1978 for his first solo album French Kiss. I have both of those awards in my case and multiple gold and platinum albums on my wall.

Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be? By the way, I have the original copyrights of the songs on that first album with the manager prior to Steve's date, and also Bob writes about when he came to London after Judy Wont brought his name up to the band and it was in the winter and he was having to put coins in the heater in his apartment every few hours to keep warm before moving to Benifold. What are your credentials anyway? Feel free to contact me in a private message on my Facebook page. Wendy Welch.1232 and we'll talk privately. I don't use a pseudonym, and I have Bob's personal writings which I might quote to you. Were you around or alive then or did you know Bob or any of the other Mac people? I would be curious. Because you are very misinformed. Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.

chriskisn 03-19-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Welch (Post 1122644)
Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be?

I know that you can't join this site with a hotmail, gmail or other such emails. Plus you can only have one account here and I know Michele does look at IP Addresses. Pretty sure Michele isn't part of a greater anti-Bob Welch conspiracy.

Plus there is no point in those people coming here and telling us how great Bob was and how unfairly he has been treated. You are generally preaching to the converted here. I have all the FM albums with Bob on it, I have all the solo albums, Head West, Paris etc. (Still holding out hope for the elusive Seven Souls album but that's another issue for another day). You don't need to tell me (and plenty of others here) that Bob was a great talent.

As for why the Bob era albums aren't on iTunes, I would imagine that if Mick Fleetwood thought he could make money out of them being on there he would be pushing for it.

mylittledemon 03-19-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be? By the way, I have the original copyrights of the songs on that first album with the manager prior to Steve's date, and also Bob writes about when he came to London after Judy Wont brought his name up to the band and it was in the winter and he was having to put coins in the heater in his apartment every few hours to keep warm before moving to Benifold. What are your credentials anyway? Feel free to contact me in a private message on my Facebook page. Wendy Welch.1232 and we'll talk privately. I don't use a pseudonym, and I have Bob's personal writings which I might quote to you. Were you around or alive then or did you know Bob or any of the other Mac people? I would be curious. Because you are very misinformed. Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.

Whole lotta stream of consciousness happening there. Wendy... look... there is absolutely no reason whatsoever as to why anyone shouldn't be able to join this site. We do not pre-screen members here. Occasionally old troublesome members return, or new members sign up with multiple user names, and we know that by their email addresses, IP locations, etc. But to say 30 people "tried to join and couldn't" and imply that there's some conspiracy here is absolute lunacy. I mean it Wendy; lunacy. It's something you've cooked up inside your own mind, or someone else has and you've chosen to put stock in, and I hate it for you because you're believing in an absolute falsehood. How would we know if someone was a Bob Welch friend or fan prior to them entering information to join the forum? And even if we did hold something against them for that reason, why deny them access to this forum? It makes no sense. We have neither the man (or woman) power, let alone the most remote of desires to conduct such behaviour. So please, I am truly being sincere when I ask that you do us as a community (and yourself) the courtesy of moving forward by ending such insinuations. SteveMacD made a great suggestion about getting Bob's work on iTunes and making the focus about his music again. Better words on the matter haven't been spoken.

HomerMcvie 03-19-2014 12:10 PM

I am FB friends with Wendy, and I will just say that I HAVE seen several people say that they tried to join the Ledge, but never got approved. And it was more than just a couple of people. Just saying...

michelej1 03-19-2014 12:59 PM

How would I even know if someone was a Bob Welch fan in order to deny them access to the site? Unless they had a user name like Welchlover, I would have no clue and I honestly have no interest in excluding them.

If I was going to conspire with Mick or the band to do something, it wouldn't be related to Bob Welch!

The truth is, the website isn't big enough to change or influence anything one way or another, so even if it was converted into a full time campaign to have Bob inducted, it would hardly make any difference to the RRHOF or to FM. There is no incentive to conspire to do anything.

Yes, people are blocked from the site for having multiple user ids, for spamming or because they never respond to verification emails, but not for any reasons having
to do with Bob Welch.

Michele

SteveMacD 03-19-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

The last one in 1975.

Nope. "Heroes Are Hard To Find" was released on September 13, 1974, three years and ten days after "Future Games." Bob quit the band sometime in December, 1974. His last show was December 1, 1974.

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/xxgby2epqnf1qu.jpg

Quote:

Let's not minimize his credentials.
His credentials shouldn't be minimized, nor should they be overstated.

Quote:

Plus I am not fighting to get Bob in for your approval or your desire, but only because he card about it so much and was very hurt when he was left out. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion. But after 27 years of marriage, I KNOW what HE cared about.
That's great, Wendy. The reality is that there's a whole new generation getting interested in Fleetwood Mac who don't necessarily buy physical media. They've grown up downloading music. They can't download Bob's music. Do you understand that, Wendy? They can't (legally) download or own his music. That's destroying Bob's legacy much, much more quickly than his eye-rolling omission from a hack organization that's lost pretty much all credibility in the past ten years.

Plus, not having a new generation of fans ultimately sets what you're fighting for back. What better way to force the issue than with a new generation of fans alongside those of us who've been fans for decades.

Quote:

Also, you might be interested to know that all of those albums are gold or platinum now.
After the success Fleetwood Mac started having.

Quote:

What are your credentials anyway?
Well, I'm literate and know how to use a microfiche machine and the internet. I've read pretty much anything I could find on Bob and Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:

Because you are very misinformed.
Like saying that Bob was still actively in the band in 1975 when Mick, Stevie, Lindsey, and I think even Keith Olsen have all said that Mick contacted Lindsey about joining the band, because Bob had left, when Lindsey and Stevie were having their New Year's Eve party. That's an easily verifiable FACT.

Quote:

Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.
Christine played on 1968's "Mr. Wonderful," sang some harmony on "Then Play On," and clearly sang harmonies throughout "Kiln House." Jeremy Spencer even said that it was she, not John, who co-wrote "Station Man." So, sorry Wendy, I'm right that Christine played with them in the studio as a guest musician.

Wendy Welch 03-19-2014 06:16 PM

Must Disagree

Must disagree with your timeline. Stevie and Lindsey were already joining the band when Bob left and Mick and FM begged him to stay too.

All of your facts are not correct because I still have the original contracts, no matter what you have read on the internet.

Also, please, I must clarify one thing to this site. I never meant to imply that only Bob's fans and friends were blocked. Just that they were the people that contacted me. I am sure there are others too. I would hope you would be a little more inclusive with all FM fans.

I have never been called a lunatic before, but that's your opinion and there's always a first time, but you can go on my facebook and see what many have said over the past 1 1/2 years about it, besides the personal messages I have received, especially just recently. So I don't believe I have made this up or that one person has made me think that quite a few people have not been accepted on The Ledge.

And if you re-read my comments previous to saying that Chris played in the band earlier, I was not saying that that was untrue. Just that most people don't know that Chris was on a few cuts and they also don't know when Bob really joined the band prior to the summer of 71 as stated. Please don't misunderstand my comments as I hope I have cleared them up above.

chiliD 03-19-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1122678)
His last show was December 1, 1974.

Ummm...no. I saw them at Long Beach Arena later than that date (I remember because it was within a couple of days of Christmas break of my 2nd year of college; but I don't recall the exact date). Climax Blues Band was the opening act. I believe it was a last minute added show, because it was announced that tickets would go on sale just a couple of days before the show.

welcomechris 03-19-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Welch (Post 1122681)
Must disagree with your timeline. Stevie and Lindsey were already joining the band when Bob left and Mick and FM begged him to stay too.

All of your facts are not correct because I still have the original contracts, no matter what you have read on the internet.

Also, please, I must clarify one thing to this site. I never meant to imply that only Bob's fans and friends were blocked. Just that they were the people that contacted me. I am sure there are others too. I would hope you would be a little more inclusive with all FM fans.

I have never been called a lunatic before, but that's your opinion and there's always a first time, but you can go on my facebook and see what many have side over the past 1 1/2 years about it, besides the personal messages I have received, especially just recently. So I don't believe I have made this up or that one person has made me think that quite a few people have not been accepted on The Ledge.

Wendy, I'm Sorry Some People Are Treating You Like Your Just Another Person Who Knows Nothing About Bob. Stevie Herself Has Said Lindsey and Her Joined the First Day Of 1975. Mick Has Said that He Knew Bob Was Leaving So He Was Looking For A Guitar Player. I Know Fleetwood Mac was upset about Bob's Departure but Lets Face it, Even Bob Knew FM Was Going Nowhere.

Wendy, Showing Us Pictures of Some of the Contracts Would Be Great. We Would Love if You Wrote A Book About it too.

SteveMacD 03-19-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1122683)
Ummm...no. I saw them at Long Beach Arena later than that date (I remember because it was within a couple of days of Christmas break of my 2nd year of college; but I don't recall the exact date). Climax Blues Band was the opening act. I believe it was a last minute added show, because it was announced that tickets would go on sale just a couple of days before the show.

Interesting. I was just going by the calendar on the tour poster. I wonder if that show was when things went down between Bob and the band.

wetcamelfood 03-19-2014 06:47 PM

From Page 3 of Bob's 1999 Q&A here:

I was reading one of the (unfortunately few) articles on the Penguin, and one of them made reference to Lindsey and Stevie's joining the band while you were still a part of it. Had you already left the band by the time L&S joined? I know you eventually worked with them, but when did you actually meet Lindsey and Stevie? (Tracy G., Stockbridge, Georgia, USA)

I "hemmed and hawed for months about whether or not I would leave FM... John Mc Vie said, " Bob it'll be the biggest mistake you'll ever make." Everybody knew that we had to find some new creative "juice". Mick had gone out to check out studios to do the next album after "Heroes..." while I was still hemming and hawing. At "Sound City" studios is where somebody played him a tape of Stevie and Lindsey as "Bucking-Ham Nicks". Mick told me about hearing their tape, and how good they were etc. At that point I could've chosen to stay in FM, and add Stevie and Lindsey to the line up. It wasn't like anybody was ASKING me to leave, and there was a moment that I thought about staying.

In case it helps? :)

John

SteveMacD 03-19-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Welch (Post 1122681)

They hadn't been formally asked to join until Bob actually quit, and the one constant that is mentioned by pretty much everyone (i.e. Rolling Stone interviews from 1975, autobiographies, countless interviews) is that it was New Years Eve, 1974. Now, maybe he was technically still contractually a member of the band when Stevie and Lindsey joined, but that's minutia. Lindsey got the call at that moment because Bob had quit the band.

And, yes, I'm sure Bob knew Mick wanted to hire Lindsey, and I'm sure there was a period after Bob served notice that he was still being asked to stay in the band.

Quote:

and they also don't know when Bob really joined the band prior to the summer of 71 as stated.
Okay, Spring of 1971. Fleetwood Mac were on the road until sometime in late March/early April, 1971 with Peter Green helping them out, and the first show with Bob (per Mick's book) was June 4, 1971. So, Bob joined I'm guessing sometime in April or May, leaning more towards April to give them time to learn new material.

But, you have the contracts. What dates do you have that are different from everyone else?

aleuzzi 03-19-2014 08:03 PM

The suggestion to lobby for the 71-74 albums on iTunes is a good one.

I keep waiting for a young musician or group of musicians to reinterpret Bob's material in a contemporary context.

Wendy Welch 03-19-2014 11:43 PM

Mick's book

I also have to clarify one thing. Mick's book was just a shmooze and a coverup in some places. It was not written by him but by another. Bob and I were living together when the writer contacted Bob and didn't use a lot of what he said and changed a lot. It made Bob a bit angry. Most of all he was angry about what they said at the end of the book that Bob was writing for films and movie scores. Straight up lie! He was proud of the fact that he was starting a new band called "The Touch" with Dallas Taylor, the drummer from Crosby Still Nash & Young and others that played out and was managed by Noel Monk, the prior manager of Van Halen. Bob couldn't understand why they would make that up about films and not say what he was really doing.

As you all probably know, Mick is dyslexic, and that is not a put down, just a fact. Bob used to have to look up things in the phone book for him because he couldn't get what words were in alphabetical order, and that is a common disorder that can be overcome. Mick never did overcome that and God Bless him has been very successful inspite of his handicap. But he did not write that book, nor could he have probably read it.
:angel:

Also, Bob has written a book that I have in his own words, not mine. That is where I get most of my info from and also from hearing his stories for over 27 years. If I can ever get all of his business and publishing unraveled so I can move on with my life, I intend that to be my first project. As far as I tunes is concerned, he does have many songs on UTube, I tunes, etc. that can be downloaded. But the record companies have control over that, not myself or Mick or FM. The music business is very complicated. FM has to OK it, but the record company has to want to do it first. And I am no newcomer to the industry!

becca 03-19-2014 11:56 PM

Print ads and posters from the '60s and '70s often were and are wrong. I remember some book with all sorts of absolute facts based on old Marquee listings and how they were not absolute facts with printed proof from the time period. For many reasons planned appearances do not go off today. There was a great book on Liverpool's Cavern and who played there when that was pretty much totally accurate because it had a lot of input from people who were there and remembered when the printed pieces of paper were not reflective of the eventual reality that occurred. Then again, people's memories can also be wrong both individually and collectively, always best to have some caution when using facts as weapons I think... but then I've been criticized for saying things such as 'I think' or 'it seems'. (Cue the The Gambler by Kenny Rogers here).

It's painful to see people who genuinely love music and musicians upset like this. It's painful that Bob Welch was disrespected and continues to be disrespected by a few people in positions of power. I'm glad the Ventures got to play and were inducted back when they were, before it was too late. This is what is wrong though in taking something (like surfing also) which should be totally individual and artistic and make it into yet another crummy judged competition with awards and winners and losers. It brings out the worst in some people be they Christine or some extreme fans or a bunch of bean counters in offices. :(