The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey's Arrogance? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=35605)

SuzeQuze 04-01-2008 09:27 AM

Lindsey's Arrogance?

http://www.afterellen.com/blog/karma...comment=484639

From After Ellen
Quote:

Crow's name has been mentioned as the possible new addition, though Buckingham told Billboard.com,

"I don't think anything is written in stone yet." He added, "I think we were all a little surprised (Crow) was announcing that to the world with such certainty...We have talked about the possibility of bringing another woman into the scene to kind of give Stevie a sort of foil and shake it up a little bit. (Crow) was certainly a name that has come up. We'll have to see."

A "foil"? That's irritating. Would they hire a dude to be Lindsey's "foil," or would he simply be an accomplished musician in his own right?

Sigh. Anyway, according to Dictionary.com, a "foil" is "a person or thing that makes another seem better by contrast."

As much as I worship the ground that Stevie Nicks spins on, I'm not sure that Sheryl Crow is the best woman for this particular job. Crow is a force of nature in her own right, and her production of (not to mention her appearance on) Stevie's 2001 solo album, Trouble in Shangri-La, helped make it one of Stevie's best solo efforts since 1983's Wild Heart.
So he says Sheryl will make them look better by contrast! I didn't realize that "foil" meant that.

Do y'all think Sheryl would make Stevie and Lindsey look better? I thought that was an odd phrasing choice on his part.

BTFLCHLD 04-01-2008 09:33 AM

Perhaps Lindsey is reading the dictionary and stuck on F...his favorite word of late seems to be FERMENT. ;)

:sorry: I've nothing further or worthy to add.

Betsy 04-01-2008 09:51 AM

foil (n.)

-- a flexible four-sided fencing sword with a blunt point.

(I read it as Sheryl being Stevie's sword. Isn't the Mac known for its infighting?) :nod:

Yes, I think Lindsey has an ego which often blends into arrogance, but in this case, he's thinking about keeping his left flank covered.

Nico 04-01-2008 10:23 AM

Good old cerebral Lindsey.

michelej1 04-01-2008 10:45 AM

I really don't think Lindsey meant "foil" in that sense. He can be arrogant, but I don't think that was an instance of it. From her talk about not liking the boys' club, we know it was Stevie's idea to have another woman in the band, so Lindsey didn't think Stevie needed another foil, friend, companion or anything else.

He probably meant to express that Stevie would simply have another woman to play off of, but he knows what she will really get is a buffer between them. He just chose not to say Stevie didn't want to be on the road with him in the interview.

Michele

gretchen 04-01-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD (Post 749259)
Perhaps Lindsey is reading the dictionary and stuck on F...his favorite word of late seems to be FERMENT. ;)

:sorry: I've nothing further or worthy to add.

Lolol....F E R M E N T is the word of the day...i do love his vocabulary...;)

shackin'up 04-01-2008 04:51 PM

What's arrogance? Honesty? Nicks says: NO FM with me on stage without another woman in the band. Isn't that something to be a little cynical about? She just thought lindsey took too much stage during SYW. At first he deserved it but later on she got pissed. well, whatever. He should stick to solo and she can go on touring solo doing standback and landslide and dreams. pfff

michelej1 04-01-2008 07:50 PM

Actually, "foil" is a more apt description of what Lindsey and Stevie are to each other than what Sheryl would be to Stevie.

Foiled again!

Michele

SortaSavageLike 04-01-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 749346)
Foiled again!

Curses! And if it weren't for those meddling kids...:mad:

David 04-01-2008 08:30 PM

American Heritage Dict. gives 3rd meaning as:

3. One that by contrast underscores or enhances the distinctive characteristics of another: "I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me" Charlotte Brontë.

I am unsure as to what Lindsey actually meant (although I think he meant only that Crow's personality & style would complement Stevie's by making it more distinctive), but this 3rd definition lends a sweetness, rather than a bittersweetness, to the idea. :laugh:

michelej1 04-01-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 749354)
lends a sweetness, rather than a bittersweetness, to the idea. :laugh:

I can tell you that in the DVD Lindsey was polishing up some of his speeches for the next tour.

Revisiting that 1997 gem, I wonder how he might update it today. "It used to be bittersweet. Then it was just sweet. Now, it's just bitter."

Michele

danax6 04-02-2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 749374)
I can tell you that in the DVD Lindsey was polishing up some of his speeches for the next tour.

Revisiting that 1997 gem, I wonder how he might update it today. "It used to be bittersweet. Then it was just sweet. Now, it's just bitter."

Michele

That's perfect.

Can I just say that I'm really dreading this new tour?

Maccafan5000 04-02-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 749374)
"It used to be bittersweet. Then it was just sweet. Now, it's just bitter."

Michele

I actually just spit coffee on my computer screen. Perhaps my law professor won't notice me cracking up in the back of the room, but I doubt I'll be so lucky. The truth in that one brief statement is overwhelming. Thank you for that :)

~Michelle

SuzeQuze 04-02-2008 10:33 AM

I think the writer may have cherry picked the definition to suit her annoyance. Here's one from m-w.com "3: someone or something that serves as a contrast to another (acted as a foil for a comedian)". Is this what Christine was? I think she kind of was and vice versa.

BTFLCHLD 04-02-2008 10:52 AM

stevie's foil

:eek: