The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey as a solo artist (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=26553)

elie 04-30-2006 04:40 AM

Lindsey as a solo artist

Hello everyone.:wavey:
I didn't really know where to post my question, so I 'm starting this new thread..
I am sorry if this has been explained a million times before:o
I was listening to Tusk the other day and I was thinking that Lindsey is indeed an inspired and innovative artist, as well as influential IMO.
However, there are a lot of people who know Fleetwood Mac, (I 'm not talking about the real fans, just the ones who enjoy some of their songs) who don't even know his name. When you talk about the Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd or Roxy Music, most of the people (or everyone) know who Mick Jagger, Roger Waters or Bryan Ferry are, even of they're not fans.
I 'm asking because I 'm not sure if it is indeed so. Is it perhaps different in the States, but I 'm thinking that if you mention "Lindsey Buckingham" to a european, they will hardly know who you're talikng about, let alone link the name to FM. And I find this really strange, since IMO (and according to a lot of best-selling -artists lists etc) FM are one of the most famous bands ever existed.
Is it because his solo career was not as successful as Stevie's? (But then again neither was Roger Waters').
Again, I 'm really not sure if it's truly the case, so I 'm asking to get some US perspective on the subject:shrug:

Lala 04-30-2006 01:12 PM

I would argue casual fans of a lot of bands wouldn't know much about the members specifically. I mean, sure, everyone knows John Lennon, Mick Jagger etc. But for someone who "likes" FM and owns a copy of Rumours (everyone over the age of 35 owns a copy of Rumours) probably isn't going to be familiar with the specific band members. I think it's probably hard for people like us that are so deep into the music to realize there are people who just sing along to GYOW on the radio while driving their kids to soccer practice, refer to Dreams as "Thunder Only Happens When It's Raining", and reverse genders for Stevie and Lindsey.

Yes, Stevie is probably the most recognizable member of the band, probably because of her solo career. But, again, some people just don't know.

Lindsey is definitely the most underated classic rock guitarist.

On a side note, I was playing my iPod at work and Trouble came on. I was helping a lady at the cash register, and I could hear her humming along, very softly. I almost asked her if she was a Lindsey fan, but didn't for fear of a "Who's she?" response.

Forshorn 04-30-2006 01:25 PM

Lindsey's profile

I'd say they know him - "the guitarist in Fleetwood Mac" - but don't necessarily know the name. FM are much, much bigger stateside than over there; here most people wouldn't know Bryan Ferry or Jarvis Cocker.

But everyone had a copy of Rumours (I guess the Brit members won the argument about spelling the name). So they had seen Lindsey's big fro. And knew about the breakup.

madformac 04-30-2006 01:58 PM

I'd argue the point that people know who the members of Pink Floyd are though.. I think it's the opposite. They can walk around generally without being recognised and considering the success and album sales they are reasonably unknown as individuals, maybe with the exception of Gilmour.

Lindsey is a bit unknown to the general public outside of Mac and as I've mentioned on countless occasions its one of the causes of his neuroses IMO. I don't think it helps when people think hes the female singer of the band too "Oh Lindsey, yeah the chick" :shocked: :lol:

Jyqm 04-30-2006 02:05 PM

I agree with all of the previous comments that most people have no idea who Lindsey is outside the context of "the guitarist and male vocalist for Fleetwood Mac. And I think a lot of that does have to do with his solo career, or lack of one. To say that Lindsey maintains a low public profile would be the understatement of the year. Aside from two or three songs contributed to soundtracks and an almost totally obscure and unpublicized television special/DVD, the man has released no music of his own (that is, outside the confines and label of Fleetwood Mac) in nearly fifteen years. So of course nobody knows who he is. How could they?

johndoe 04-30-2006 02:13 PM

I actually saw an ad for Soundstage in Guitar World, but it was like 1/8th of the third to last page, right next to an ad for a guitar store in the midwest. Theres not much demand for him outside the confines of the Fleetwood Mac world, so theres not going to be much advertising.

Wouldn't it be awesome if when/if he ever released a solo album, we like, geurilla advertised it? Posters on lamp posts and stuff? Its like an LB street team!

gypsysoul 04-30-2006 03:47 PM

I actually saw a book once (I forget the name) about the greatest rock albums in which under Rumours it mentioned the classic songs from the album:
You make loving fun by the golden throated Christine Mcvie
Stevie nick's angry vocals and searing guitar solo on GYOW
And Buckinghams hypnotic Dreams.

I agree I don't think the average music fan would know much about Lyndsey at all other than thinking he was Stevie!
He needs a couple of big hit singles attached to huge films to make an impression and that commercial success might lead more people to his other solo work.

chiliD 05-01-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsysoul
...Lyndsey at all other than thinking he was Stevie!

His supposedly loyal fans can't even spell his name correctly?? And, we expect him to be a household name?

gypsysoul 05-01-2006 10:17 AM

Point taken, CHILID. I always do this and I know it's wrong. Must be a mental block or something!:]

Sahara 05-01-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyqm
I agree with all of the previous comments that most people have no idea who Lindsey is outside the context of "the guitarist and male vocalist for Fleetwood Mac. And I think a lot of that does have to do with his solo career, or lack of one. To say that Lindsey maintains a low public profile would be the understatement of the year. Aside from two or three songs contributed to soundtracks and an almost totally obscure and unpublicized television special/DVD, the man has released no music of his own (that is, outside the confines and label of Fleetwood Mac) in nearly fifteen years. So of course nobody knows who he is. How could they?

That is a very fair point.

And guerilla advertising sounds like the best craic ever! We must come up with a strategy people!

[That is, if we're not all over the hill by the time the album comes out :p ]

As for the "Who's she?" response ... : shudder : I know exactly how you feel. Even I'm guilty - when I first heard SYW [my first FM album], I went around for several weeks telling everyone about the incredible voice this Lindsey Buckingham girl had. Woops. :shocked:

elie 05-01-2006 10:28 AM

Thank you all for your comments..:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forshorn
I'd say they know him - "the guitarist in Fleetwood Mac" - but don't necessarily know the name. FM are much, much bigger stateside than over there; here most people wouldn't know Bryan Ferry or Jarvis Cocker.

It's funny that you mention that- believe it or not, my friends actually do know Jarvis Cocker and do not know Lindsey, but then again Pulp were very much in fashion in the mid-90's here (I don't know about other european countries though).

And I 'm not sure that an unsuccesful solo career (or lack thereof) is the reason that Lindsey is not that well known- I guess I would have to agree with Lala that he is a very underated musician overall. IMO almost every single Lindsey song on TUSK could have been a classic, such as GYOW.

Chester 05-01-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elie
IMO almost every single Lindsey song on TUSK could have been a classic, such as GYOW.

Maybe with a completely different producer and a less insane voice singing it! Because he's a good songwriter, all of his songs are good, but his midset of making his songs unique is what pulls them so far away from the mainstream sound that it makes it very hard for casual listeners to tell that they're good.

Jyqm 05-01-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chester
Maybe with a completely different producer and a less insane voice singing it! Because he's a good songwriter, all of his songs are good, but his midset of making his songs unique is what pulls them so far away from the mainstream sound that it makes it very hard for casual listeners to tell that they're good.

And yet "Tusk," arguably the "craziest" song on the album, was a Top 10 single.

Johnny Stew 05-01-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyqm
And yet "Tusk," arguably the "craziest" song on the album, was a Top 10 single.

I wonder, though, if it would have been quite as big of a hit if it had been the third or fourth single from the album.
The first single usually gets the bigger push from the label and radio.

"Tusk" could have been propelled to the Top 10 by the fact that it was the "brand new single from Fleetwood Mac's upcoming album."

Jyqm 05-01-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I wonder, though, if it would have been quite as big of a hit if it had been the third or fourth single from the album.
The first single usually gets the bigger push from the label and radio.

"Tusk" could have been propelled to the Top 10 by the fact that it was the "brand new single from Fleetwood Mac's upcoming album."

The label and the radio can push all they want, but if people don't like something, they aren't gonna buy it. There have been plenty of "brand new single's from [popular band's] upcoming album" that haven't done well.

"Tusk" hit #8 and was on the charts for 15 weeks. That wasn't just because of good promotion.